Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever done it? I know we dont have a gunsmithing section but there are a lot of 1911 lovers here on the board..

Typically i either buy a 1911 with ambisafty or if its just a target gun it doesnt matter but yesterday the dealer made me a offer i couldnt refuse on a SW1911SC So its on hold for me but it doesnt have Ambi Safety..

Im not afraid to try to fit one just what some pointers or tips if youve done it if not it will be a learning exercise.. Goona have to get the Jerry Kuhnhausen Books to go buy thats what i see recommeded anyways.. :vikings15

Ahh the Stuff i get my self into :sport05:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Never done it either, but being a little slow on this, explain why you want one. I'm so accustomed to (right-handed) using the standard, I can't figure out what the right side would do for you. I try to imagine using my index finger, but that seems awful awkward.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im a lefty so its awkard for me to use just the std safety espically if i intend to carry it which i do

·
Banned
239 Posts
Fairly straight forward job. Release the keeper on the old safety slide the new one in and replace the keeper. Make sure it matches the sear, and all is well.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did email Smith to see if i could get a ambi safety from them or who made it so i could stay as close to factory as i could for fit :icon_mrgr we'll see what they say

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
release the keeper???

~A

nighthawk said:
Fairly straight forward job. Release the keeper on the old safety slide the new one in and replace the keeper. Make sure it matches the sear, and all is well.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was gonna ask what keeper but forgot about it my safety on my springfield just slides in and out same as my colt

·
Registered
742 Posts
Bud, it is not an R&R thing. Fitting an ambi safety is really a job for a good armorer or gunsmith.

If you are going to do it yourself, find a good set of instructions with drawings of the angles needed to come up with the correct working surfaces on the safety. Be very careful with the tenon (dovetail) joint between the right and left part of the safety. If this joint gets loose, the right side safety will be flopy.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im going to get the Kuhnhausen book t go buy everyone says it is the best i fit a barrel to a old 1911 fromt eh wilson book shot it for years still have it.. I know most sya its for a gunsmith but im willing to try hey i replaced the trigger and retimed my trooper last night ... Colts are supposed to be the hardest to do...

If i get going and dont feel comfortable off to GS it goes I like a challenge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts