Defensive Carry banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Nevermind . . . :embarassed:

Rounds don't fire with no powder in them. D'oh! Now I have to figure out how that happened.:confused:
Powder or not a primer goes bang. Are you saying the primer fired?

·
Registered
33,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Reactions: CWOUSCG

·
Registered
155 Posts
Five rounds without powder?
One really needs to inspect for powder before placing a bullet on the case. I know it is harder with bottleneck cases, but I still do it.
I am not sure there is a powder-check die that would work well for bottleneck cases.
Bench-mounted powder measure, I charge the case, inspect it for powder height, and immediately seat a bullet. I hate load trays and read too many times someone missed a case that had no powder.
On the press, I still inspect, but I also watch the powder measure as it cycles (all the way up and all the way down).

·
Registered
802 Posts
You were lucky that the force of the primer did not drive the bullet into the bore. I have seen that happen more than once.

Years ago when I owned a couple of registered automatic weapons I made a point of never firing reloaded ammo in them. Too great a chance for a squib load with bullet lodged in the bore followed by another round or two! Good method for destroying a high-dollar firearm.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I jump to the conclusion that you noticed the bullet was still in the case of the hand ejected rounds. Let us know what went wrong.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Apparently that is what happened, yet I still do not know how I did that. A rookie mistake by a seasoned reloader.
Or are you like me this week, seriously sleep deprived. You're in Florida, as I recall. Too much going on there to sleep properly, it seems.

·
Registered
33,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Or are you like me this week, seriously sleep deprived. You're in Florida, as I recall. Too much going on there to sleep properly, it seems.
I blame my sleep apnea . . . Yeah, that's my excuse.

Reactions: RedSafety

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
sleep apnea, a MIL who refuses to sleep at night, whether she sleeps or is awake all day, and deep depression from not being allowed to think or feel without being condemned by my mommy. THat's why I left her for two and a half years. But that's another story. I just shouldn't have trusted those 6 months of sudden quiet.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
A simple way to verify no empties or double loads after loading a batch is to use an electronic scale. It's a simple and fast QC method.

Place one empty case and a bullet on a scale, reset the tare so it's zeroed, then set each loaded round on the scale.

There will be some variation from brass and bullet differences, but roughly the charge weight should show on each loaded round. If it's near zero or double the charge there's a problem.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Glad you found the answer (but I'm sure it isn't the one you wanted!) and that the outcome wasn't worse. It is pretty surprising that none of the primers pushed the bullet into the barrel which could have ended badly. Sometime us not so young guys need to relearn the hard lessons we learned in the past.

·
Registered
33,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Glad you found the answer (but I'm sure it isn't the one you wanted!) and that the outcome wasn't worse. It is pretty surprising that none of the primers pushed the bullet into the barrel which could have ended badly. Sometime us not so young guys need to relearn the hard lessons we learned in the past.
Afterwards, I was surprised the bullets didn't jump also. Visually they didn't budge. I could have measured COL and seen some change, but there was nothing obvious. I suspect there was too much (empty) case volume to absorb the primer pressure. Clearly it could not have pushed a bullet into the bore far enough to chamber another round, but still not good as a long-time reloader to foul up that badly.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Careful Old Vet....keep that up and “someone” may think you need to have your driving privileges revoked!😳

21 - 32 of 32 Posts