Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's call about possibly getting a Kel Tec PMR 30 got me thinking...this gun is often referred to as "the poor man's FiveseveN", while not being able to afford the $1500 for a FiveseveN and $1 a round for ammo doesn't exactly make one "poor" by my definition, does anyone on here actually own the real deal? To make it one better, does anyone CARRY one?

I rented one once about a year ago at an outdoor range and shot 50rd from it, it was a lot of fun. I also had the chance to fire a PS90 that another shooter had at the same range on another occasion and it was like shooting a .22L. It is extremely loud (on par with 357 Sig) but has very little recoil an seemed to be quite accurate even with my B level skills (I'm not military or LE trained, but have gotten extensive training from instructors who are). I mentioned this in my "Predict the Glock model 40" thread recently, but a Glock chambered in 5.7x28 would be very cool.

And of course, if you have one let's see it in action! Door prize for the best fireball will be awarded.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have a 5.7, but I don't carry it. It is a prized pistol because it is so fun to shoot. As I get older, I can see this gun becoming more important to me as my body, joints in particular, weaken and reject heavier recoil. IMHO, it is the ideal gun for older folks as a home defense pistol because it is easy to manipulate all of the controls, easy to load mags and the slide is easier to rack than some major caliber pistols. I can't think of one that is much better.

As to the price, I bought mine used several years ago. At the time the price seemed very good, too low to pass up. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd pay full retail for one, especially in today's Obama inflated price era. Look to the used market for a deal.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm in the same boat with ripley16; I have one, but don't carry it. I would not feel "under gunned" with 21 rounds of 5.7x28 IWB, it's just a big gun for concealed carry. I often take customers to my range at our farm to shoot, and the FiveseveN is usually everyone's favorite. It is incredibly accurate, and follow up shots are easy to keep on target.

I bought mine used on Gunbroker for about half of what they are selling for now; I think I got a good deal, but like ripley16 I would not pay retail for one.

Ammo is expensive and hard to find now, and it has been for a while now. (it was hard to find before the Sandy Hook atrocity) I stocked up on a few thousand rounds after the '08 election when prices fell back to about $20/box. I thought that pricing/availability would get better after FN had some competition in the ammo market when American Eagle came out with their FMJ version, but pricing has went up and it's still hard to find. When I find ammo now at stores that aren't gouging, it's usually about $30/box. It still sells daily for $1/round+ on Gunbroker.

They are LOUD, and spit one heck of a fireball. Here's a picture of mine; I'll see if I can get a door prize winner later:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I carry mine hiking and doing long bike rides because it is light and I don't often carry a backup mag. Especially on my bike. I hope 20 rounds is enough to do what needs done. It is simple and ultra reliable. I love mine (and my PS90).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own and carry a FN FiveseveN. I paid $1,100 for it in April of 2012. I can find American Eagle ammo at a local gun store for around $24 for a box of 50.

As I have a degenerative muscle disease that is compromising my ability to handle recoil, the 5.7 was a good compromise solution. I use a "Concealment T" to carry the pistol in a cross draw configuration. These T shirts are available in either white or black and have an elastic band that secures the weapon. It is a deep concealment configuration however, and perhaps not desirable to everyone.

As stated, the recoil from the FiveseveN is quite moderate. More importantly, I find that even though the caliber is indeed only .224, I can fire follow up shots quite accurately and rapidly. True, it would be quite preferable to be able to fire off a defensive round such as the .500 S&W, but I have complete confidence in the destructive capabilities of the 5.7 round.

Being a full size weapon, I do feel the presence of the FN FiveseveN under my left arm somewhat more than a smaller pistol, say a .380. This slight discomfort however is well worth the feeling of security that the Fiveseven provides me. :image035:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
A FiveseveN has been on my "short list" for a long time now but lower priced guns have kept coming before one. If I had the $1,500 to spend on a firearm, I'd be hard pressed to choose between taking a step up from my RIA 1911 to something better or going with the FiveseveN. Such is life, I suppose. One of these days I'll have both. :smilez:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I carry a Five-seveN and have been doing so for several years now. It's big but I hardly feel it in my Crossbreed. I don't practice with it as much as I used to for obvious reasons but I still have a nice stash of self-defense ammo. I can't imagine carrying anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts