Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in what you carry for a fixed blade, and how. Emphasis on the how.

Years ago I purchased a K Bar TDI knife. It's a handy little thing for what it is designed for. A few days ago I chimed in on a thread and stated that I never carried it. So I decided to start carrying it and force myself into the habit. I quickly remembered why I do not carry it - the sheath it came with is, in my opinion, sub-par for concealment. It is obtrusive for such a little knife, and even when I have the sheath tucked as deep as it will go, the handle of the knife sticks out and prints.

So I searched for a bit and found a minimalist TDI sheath that has an adjustable ride height. It's from Galloway Precision, and costs $22.00. I wanted something that was inexpensive, given the knife itself cost about $37. I chose a model with a slim Ulti-Clip. So far I am impressed with the sheath. It has very good retention, and I can position the knife so it rides about 1/2" lower than with the factory K Bar sheath. I clip it to my shorts, not the belt. This still allows for quick access but pretty much eliminates the handle from printing. It's also thinner than the factory sheath, which aids in concealment. I carry it appendix on my weak side, opposite my gun on my strong side.

Often times it is a struggle to find what works for you. And it's also good to know what other options and solutions others have come up with. So, if you carry a fixed blade, what blade is it, what do you carry it in, and where on your body do you carry? Pics appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
I have a "lite concealment garment" I always wear. This is laced into the rt. upper chest area. Most easily accessed with my left hand (non-dominant hand), BUT can be accessed with my rt. hand also. I've spent decades working on what I think works "BEST" for ME. Other's here have "good ideas ALSO". I also carry a Buck Ranger on my belt, and a "heavy duty folding razor knife" clipped to a back pocket.

BGXN7027.JPG

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I carry several different ones at times - mostly depending on how I feel.

I got put on to the TDI by our officers, many of whom carried one. I got 2 aftermarket sheaths, one is the Galloway, and I forget what the other one is, but it works a little better than the Galloway. I carry it weak side appendix IWB.

Then sometimes I carry a K-Bar BK22, which is my goto survival knife. I carry a SOG SEAL Pup on the left shoulder strap of my heavy ballistic vest.

And sometimes I just strap my ancient Western Bowie W49 on my El Paso Saddlery gun belt and let 'er rip.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I also carry the TDI in a serrated model and I modified the terrible factory sheath with two snap loops. I carry it left side front as a gun grab/backup option.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I carry an Abe and Moe fixed blade in a Yellowhawk Custom Kydex sheath. Carried on my left (support) side behind my spare magazine. Some days I carry a smaller Izula in a stock sheath. And some days I carry my Spartan Knives folder. It all depends on where I am going, what I am doing, and how I choose to dress (or am required to dress).

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
No offense, but if I ran into you with you looking like that, I would suddenly remember I have someplace else to be!
that was chi-com-couldn’t get a beard trim timeframe.:ROFLMAO:
Pic does not represent my personality, I am constantly joking and friendly, it’s that I also work hard to be dangerous. ☠

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I have a "lite concealment garment" I always wear. This is laced into the rt. upper chest area. Most easily accessed with my left hand (non-dominant hand), BUT can be accessed with my rt. hand also. I've spent decades working on what I think works "BEST" for ME. Other's here have "good ideas ALSO". I also carry a Buck Ranger on my belt, and a "heavy duty folding razor knife" clipped to a back pocket.

View attachment 334482
One of the guys I train with loves his. He did flip it to forward grip and lay his thumb wide open trying to power cut an organic medium demonstration. We laughed our butts off as he was glued up.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Matt,
I obtained one during the most recent KnivesShipFree run.
Have carried offside pocket.
Did you add loop(s) to sheath for iwb?
Thank you!
The L-Via quickly replaced a couple of fancier RGEI knives as my EDC, it’s so simple and light, just perfect for a SD knife.

When I carry it IWB I do so on a static cord.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I normally carry a folder. When I don't, its normally as ESEE like this one.

View attachment 334538
Is that a Colt Combat Commander I see there???? Looks like mine!

I like that ESEE. Simple design and seems like there's only good things said about them.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
EVIL HAS MET IT'S MATCH! And given me a "cold chill".
:ROFLMAO:
I am so beat up right now. My Combatives fight club boss has decided in the current atmosphere of mob violence we should spend time defending against multiple attackers, (using empty hand and/or blade)

Saturday we ran three on one attacker scenarios for three hours, rotating over and over there were only 5 of us. One guy is late 30’s the rest of us are mid 40’s, this is getting hard on me...
but I live for it. 🤘🔥

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a wide variety of fixed blade knives, ranging from 4" common hunting knives, to a heavy custom made tanto with a 9" blade.
My favorite is my Buck 119. Second favorite is one of my Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knives. (I'm an Old Soldier)
I carry them in the sheaths that came with the knives, and wear them open on my belt.
Florida law has only one knife prohibition - ballistic knives that actually fire the blade from the handle and into the target are banned.
Everything else is legal, including sword canes, no permits necessary.
I prefer to carry 5" blades or less simply because those don't "hang up" when getting into my pickup.

Oh, and I really love bayonets, but I get weird looks when I wear a 10" M1 Garand bayonet, even here in the rural South.

Reactions: Pete63 and Rexster

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
I have a wide variety of fixed blade knives, ranging from 4" common hunting knives, to a heavy custom made tanto with a 9" blade.
My favorite is my Buck 119. Second favorite is one of my Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knives. (I'm an Old Soldier)
I carry them in the sheaths that came with the knives, and wear them open on my belt.
Florida law has only one knife prohibition - ballistic knives that actually fire the blade from the handle and into the target are banned.
Everything else is legal, including sword canes, no permits necessary.
I prefer to carry 5" blades or less simply because those don't "hang up" when getting into my pickup.

Oh, and I really love bayonets, but I get weird looks when I wear a 10" M1 Garand bayonet, even here in the rural South.
You don't mention where you reside. Here in Texas, basically ALL restrictions were lifted! Carry a sword, if you desire! Many of the men I associate with carry a bayonet, OR very large Bowie/hunting knife. No one give's it a second glance! Freedom to choose! "Hoo-ra"!

Reactions: matthew03
1 - 18 of 18 Posts