Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Would like to find out what happened. I have the feeling someone got arrested on some BS charges and the Sheriff did the right thing and now someone ratted on him to save face. Just guessing

·
Registered
473 Posts
Another guess is that the man arrested had violated Florida's concealed carry law and the Sherrie released him because he disagreed with the law.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Interesting. The sheriff is utilizing the same discretion as Obama and Holder in choosing not to prosecute certain crimes. But if he did alter/destroy official records, they might be able to get him on that. I will be watching this case with great interest.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
IMO The Sheriff is as wrong as two left feet. If the Sheriff didnt agree with the arrest, he could have proscessed the subject out of his jail. This leaves a paper trail. That paper trail would have protected him. Even if he was ultimately wrong he would have had some legal shelter. But by changing or destroying existing records (if thats what he did) It appears that he may have had nefarious motive.

If an officer or a deputy arrest someone in error and his supervisor finds out that person must be released post haste. I cant concieve of a department... Even in florida that dont have a prociedure for this. It probably would have gone better for him if he had also conferred with a states attorney. This mat be a 2nd A issue but local law enforcement dont get to make 2A rulings. Deep in my heart I'm thinking that there are dynamics were not reading about.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...this is not a 2A article...this is a crooked sheriff article...he falsified/altered/tampered with arrest records...those charges have nothing to do with 2A, but with a man who'll break the law to get what he wants...

...a 2A article might report that he refused to arrest concealed carry people who were somewhere they legally belonged...though politicians wanted him to...

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
The Sheriff was fired for destroying the arrest record. That was an unlawful act.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Interesting. The sheriff is utilizing the same discretion as Obama and Holder in choosing not to prosecute certain crimes. But if he did alter/destroy official records, they might be able to get him on that. I will be watching this case with great interest.
Well, you forgot that Holder and Obama are above the law. The law is to control the little people.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
There seems to be more going on here than what the public has been told. On the other hand falsifying records has been a cause for terminating since Moses.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Not sure how people are making this a 2A thing. Sheriff broke the law and altered and destroyed jail records. Had everything to do with doing a favor for a family friend and nothing to do with the second amendment.
It would be one thing if he had been the one who pulled the guy over, found him to be carrying concealed without a permit and let him go. In this case a guy was arrested and booked by another deputy. The sheriff then decided he was going to cut the guy loose because he was part of a connected family. The sheriff then destroyed and/or altered all records related to the arrest. That is not how our system is supposed to work.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
...Moses completely destroyed records...and didn't get fired OR locked up...:tongue:
True, but he did not get to go to the promised land either.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
The sheriffs are elected and hired by the people. How can a governor fire a sheriff, lawfully?

FDLE is investigating more complaints against the Liberty County Sheriff.

Nick Finch was arrested for misconduct and suspended from office Tuesday.

Wednesday, Commissioner Gerald Bailey said FDLE's investigation is ongoing, but he would not specity the number or nature of the additional complaints.

The governor appointed FDLE agent Carl Causey as interim sheriff for the next 30 days.
Looks like this "FDLE" organization is responsible for the firing, with the governor merely responsible for the new appointment in the interim.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The sheriffs are elected and hired by the people. How can a governor fire a sheriff, lawfully?

Looks like this "FDLE" organization is responsible for the firing, with the governor merely responsible for the new appointment in the interim.
I believe I read that since he is elected the governor is the one who fires him and appoints a interim replacement until a new one can be elected. Who else could fire an elected official?
The FDLE is the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. They investigate but do not have the power to fire him.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
He was fired because of other issues of non-agreement with the political class, prior to this. This was just a simple step over the line for them to fire him for cause.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I believe I read that since he is elected the governor is the one who fires him and appoints a interim replacement until a new one can be elected. Who else could fire an elected official?
The FDLE is the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. They investigate but do not have the power to fire him.
Agreed. Technically, he can serve as Sheriff either from a jail cell, or once released go about his job. It would not be the first time that's ever happened at all.

He's an elected official, not a State employee. There are means to remove an elected official, but in this state..... that method is not legal to do to remove him. The Governor (here) has absolutely nothing to say about it, nor any authority to do it. Only the County Commission in which he is Sheriff could do it.

Seems some here are quick to hang him, but I wouldn't ...... I would want to know a lot more about it then what the media has said. They "allege" he destroyed the documents, but his attorney states the records at the jail shows he's telling the truth... and so .... there are still "records" . So, what records were destroyed, some records are the Sheriff's depts.... and up to them what they do with them.

Interests me .... who reported this to FDLE and the Governor ?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
There's way more to this story than meets the eye; while many of the comments here are valid and quite good, there's no way we have all the facts before us.

Rick Scott is very strongly behind 2A, and any Sheriff elected in Liberty County would have to be as well. I don't think they took an opportunity to get rid of the Sheriff, I think Scott may have been backed into a corner and had to do what he did -- but again, my guess is as good as anybody's right now. One poster asked the key question: who reported what he did?

It would be my guess that there are less than honorable folks working in LE in Liberty County -- on that you'd have to trust me -- and the dislike for this guy has probably been in place since his grandpappy spanked someone else's grandpappy in a playground dispute back in ought-7. The family finally got their chance to get back at the other family, and had a righteous opportunity at that since Finch the Sheriff did something he really shouldn't have, and now whoever ratted him out is a new hero to his kin.

It says Liberty County FLORIDA, but that part of Florida is generally referred to as LA -- Lower Alabama. Or, if you're from Alabama, Lesser Alabama.

Just North of this area is Marianna, and Marianna was home to a notorious wayward boys camp that is as much a shameful part of Florida's history as Rosewood. To date investigators have found about 100 unmarked, undocumented graves on the grounds of the boys school that hold the remains of boys that were beaten into death by a string of ruthlessly mean administrators over a period of years. The administration of that school had to have passed down from headmaster to headmaster a culture of simply beating kids to account for the number of graves that have been found. In addition, there's a federal prison in the area that houses some pretty rough characters, to the point that motorists along I-10 are warned not to stop for anybody.

Given the nature of that area of Florida, and the overall lack of details, anything could come out of this, including someone else destroying the records, telling the Sheriff they did it, the Sheriff letting them off the hook for destroying the records, then turning the Sheriff in. Seriously, anything could come out of this .... I wouldn't be surprised at any soap opera ending.

Reactions: Tangochuck

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I should add my other .02 worth: this is not likely a 2A dispute between Governor Scott and Sheriff Finch.

I just re-read my post above .... I gotta stop posting at 4AM, I run off at the mouth too much at this hour of the morning.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts