Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting ready for a holiday trip. I have a FL carry permit and will be driving the first day into Charlotte, NC spending the night and finishing in moumtains on northern VA.

Questions: I know my permit is good through all states. Can I carry the whole time? What is the issue with interstate trans? Isn't it different for personal use? Also, any major differing laws I need to be concerned with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
41,412 Posts
Just did that, ending my trip in NC. The answer is Yes, you can carry (reciprocy is okay for GA, SC, NC), but I'm not sure on VA, as I was going htere, so I didn't bother to check. No problem with the interstate travel.

One noticiable difference on places you can't carry is in SC and NC, possibly GA, you cannot carry a concealed weapon into ANY place that sells alcohol for consumption on premises, unlike FL where you can carry into an alcohol-serving restaurant.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Something to remember. A not so funny quirk in the GA law forbids carrying in a highway reststop building, like the restrooms.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Don't worry about Virginia. Your Florida permit is fine here. We also allow open carry for anyone legal to own a gun, VA resident or not. Just keep in mind that if you go to a resturaunt or other establishment that sells alcohol for on premises consumption you can't carry concealed but can open carry. Have a safe trip and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
....... Just keep in mind that if you go to a resturaunt or other establishment that sells alcohol for on premises consumption you can't carry concealed but can open carry.
Didn't know that you can open carry in a establishment that sells alcohol in Va. Thanks for the info. Wish SC would come around with our resturaunt carry laws.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
They call it "The Virginia Tuck" rule. Going into a restaurant that sells alcohol for consupmtion you simply tuck your shirt behind your holster so that it is open carry.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Something to remember. A not so funny quirk in the GA law forbids carrying in a highway reststop building, like the restrooms.
Stupid! If there is only one place I would want to carry it would be in a highway rest stop.

Originally in KansAs some I 70 and I 135 rest stops were posted. Within a month the signs disappeared.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
NC is opposite. Rest areas/stops are some of the few state owned areas you can carry in. At least we got something right. Now for that Alcohol law to get fixed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts