Defensive Carry banner

Flap Holster

4K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  since9 
#1 ·
Does anyone here use a flap holster? If so, can you elaborate? Type of pistol? Make/model/style/mode of carry, of flap holster? When (i.e., what situations)? Etc.

TIA.

rx7sig

#6 ·
They are ok for nasty weather if you don't have a garment covering the gun.
Stevew,

Yes, I was wondering if people use them for activities like hiking/backpacking, motorcycling, etc., when heavy/heavier coats are required, especially in inclement weather.. They would help keep the pistol out of the elements, but still allow them to be reasonably accessible, no?

Thanks,

rx7sig

#7 ·
I still use one when backpacking .
Especially useful in downpours ar in the desert or climbing when I want my sidearm more secure I’d I should take a tumble down the mountain.
Would never use for EDC.
I will take my chances out in God’s country it quick draw is not a priority.
I know some will say too slow if you are confronted by a bear.
But I have been backpacking for over 45 years and have not come close to having to kill a predator where quick draw was necessary

#8 ·
I have an Uncle Mike's flap holster for my 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk's. I primarily use it for hunting. Used to use it on the 4 wheeler strapped to the left side of the fuel tank butt forward. It protects the pistol from getting banged up, but isn't much good for protection from the elements.

For an SD weapon, it would probably be one of the last holsters I would consider.

Reactions: rx7sig
#9 ·
Yes. Not for EDC carry of course but for rough trails and bad weather in the great outdoors. The one shown here is a Universal Military holster. It's from Bianchi but I picked it up at a yard sale some 15 years ago. It's served me well for its intended use. This one carrys my GP100.

Attachments

#10 ·
I have a few that I often use when working around our farm and also when hunting or fishing, particularly in warmer weather when I'm not wearing a coat to cover and protect my gun from getting knocked around or getting dirt and hay and stuff all over it. I have two for 1911s, a leather Tex Shoemaker and a nylon Bianchi UM84/M12 military style. I also have a Bianchi that will fit my GP100 revolver.

For those dismissing flap holsters, it's important to remember that not every handgun is carried concealed, not every handgun must be poised for immediate action, and that for much longer than the CCW surge that the civilian gun world has experienced over the last 25 or so years handguns were most often carried by outdoorsmen and protecting a gun from the elements was an important consideration. They're not gunfighter fast but with a little practice you won't be fumbling around to draw your gun and, obviously, you wouldn't choose one when draw speed may be of the essence.
View attachment 315930

I don't have a pic with a gun inside the Bianchi but here's one with a TRP posing on top of it-
View attachment 315932

Attachments

#12 ·
43 years making leather holsters for customers in all 50 US states and 33 other countries. Full flap holsters are not at the top of the popularity list, but they certainly have a place. Reasonably good protection against the elements, best possible protection against damage in the woods (short of packing the handgun away in a backpack or something like that). I sent quite a few to Alaska, some customers in Canada, I remember some field engineers in the Scandinavian countries, as well as farmers and ranchers needing to keep a handgun reasonably handy but protected.

Every holster design involves compromises among the 4 basic factors of comfort, accessibility, security, and concealment. Whenever one factor is emphasized there will be compromises of the other factors. There is no such thing as the perfect holster for every use or for every user. Only you can decide which factors are most important for your needs and how much compromise you are willing to accept.

I have been retired over 4 years now but my company (Lobo Gun Leather) continues under the ownership of a great family of leather craftsmen. I am very happy with the levels of quality and customer service. This is not an advertisement; I have no financial interest in the business at all, although I remain as a consultant as needed. For those having the need a quick google search will lead to the company website featuring over a dozen different holster designs for just about any need.

#13 ·
I use a Safepacker made by The Wilderness for hiking and hunting. It is essentially a variation of the flap holster design. I originally used one in California where I had a carry permit so that I didn't freak out all the tree huggers when my wife and I hiked together. It provides good protection from dirt and falls, but the material and design is not waterproof. I also carried this way in Yellowstone.

I wear the Safepacker on the waistbelt of my hunting pack. For me, it's more practical than a chest rig because I normally have my binoculars mounted where a chest rig would be located.

Bag Leather Fashion accessory

#16 ·
I use a Safepacker made by The Wilderness for hiking and hunting. It is essentially a variation of the flap holster design. I originally used one in California where I had a carry permit so that I didn't freak out all the tree huggers when my wife and I hiked together. It provides good protection from dirt and falls, but the material and design is not waterproof. I also carried this way in Yellowstone.

I wear the Safepacker on the waistbelt of my hunting pack. For me, it's more practical than a chest rig because I normally have my binoculars mounted where a chest rig would be located.
I have one of those also. I might get some a couple others. They are great for summer. People don't give them a second glance.

#14 ·
I have some old school BHP ones from the Euro police etc ..I wont ever use one as other noted way way too slow to draw from .

In Euro lands when these were a thing pistol were a sign of rank etc only really used to shoot the odd person who did not want to be in the army ...So speed and draw was not a big deal ..

#17 ·
I had Rob at Tucker Gun Leather to make me Field Holster for my G-26.
He took a normal OWB holster and covered it with Nylon type material and Velcro.
It works and serves the purpose for protecting the gun when I am doing dirty, dusty, muddy, nasty work in the yard or around the place.
Not a fast draw rig - but that is not what I wanted for a rig to allow me to carry in a very nasty work environment.

#18 ·
I have three, one of them I actually use.

One came with the 1881 Reichsrevolver that I inherited. The weapon still sits in it but obviously I don't carry that weapon.
The other came with the 1911 I found in a pawn shop .... it's 101 years old this year and I still shoot it routinely.

The third came with a .22 revolver i acquired .... an HR Sportsman 999. I use this one ... when I'm on the property in the woods I'll carry it with low velocity rounds in case I come across a slithery critter I'd rather not have around. No concern to draw quickly so it doesn't concern me to carry it around like that.

#21 ·
It's been over a month since your original post so I'm wondering if you've made a decision on a flap-type holster...
Thanks for the link, URIT. BTW, I was simply seeking info. I wasn't intending to make a purchase right away. However, I am still on the hunt for a flap holster, in leather, with muzzle end sewn closed, that would fit a 1970's-era Army surplus canvas utility belt, that I could wear on the outside of a coat. I might have to have one made.

rx7sig

#20 ·
Add me to the list of Safepacker users. Depending upon how it is worn or carried, and how one is otherwise dressed, it can look a bit militant, quite neutral, or even a bit fabulous.

The Safepacker can fit the definition of “open carry” in some jurisdictions, even if the weapon, itself, is not visible, as the Safepacker can meet the definition of a holster, as well as a gun “case.”

#23 ·
Reminds me of the time a neighboring camper asked me in a rather disdainful manner, "So, why are you carrying a gun, anyway?"

My answer: "Bear, cougar, bobcat, wolves, coyotes and mountain lion, Ma'am. Dozens of attacks each year." I thought for a second, then added, "And rabid animals. They attack more."

The look on her face was AWESOME!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.