Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm not trying to be mean here but Bruces story made me laugh so I thought I'd make a thread for them.

My best flinch story, well it's not mine it happened before I was born, was when my father took my mother out to a drainage ditch to help her learn how to shoot better. Anyway, she was shooting a .357 loaded with .38s. She was pretty good actually; he'd set up six cans and she'd knock them back down again.

So he asks her if she wants to try the magnum loads. She says sure I do. He loads it with some .357 cartridges. Understand it's getting to be dusk right about now...

Of course she fires it and there's a 2 foot cone of fire coming out the end and she screams and drops it like it weighs a ton and runs away like someone is chasing her.

Now, on this same outing, my father, once he gets her to calm down and stop yelling at him, takes a model 29 I think it was and decides to show her how manly he is by firing a .44 Magnum.

This was the only time in my father's life he fired a .44 Magnum.

The gun comes straight back up at him and hits him hammer first square in the forehead. I grew up believing that .44 Magnum was the most powerful cartridge ever.

And to this day my mother thinks I am insane for shooting .357 and anything starting with a "4".

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Worst I ever saw, my buddy hands a 12 ga. sigle shot to his then girlfriend to shoot. Shes around 110 lbs and the recoil makes her take about 2 steps back.
My girlfriend bought a .44 mag. She is about 100 lbs and petite. Brings the Gun up, cocks it. then decides, I should shoot it first. she did shoot it after I showed her the recoil wasn't all that bad.:biggrin2:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Funny Euc ..

i don't have a flinch story but more a equipment failure ..

Sighting my remington 700BDL 1 week before deer season 2 days after getting back from have extractor replaced..

Made it though a box of shells and couldn't get Zero to hold.

So few more rounds and i feel something hit me in the back of the Skull and about knock me out ..

Dang scope had come off and brained me broke the weaver mounts.. needs less to say I'm not fond of weaver brand scope mounts.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
LOL. Never beeen beaned by a scope. Had plenty of hot brass burn me. Needless to say I don't shoot in sandals.Hmm, maybe I know why P95 wears socks with his sandals.:smile:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Holy crap - you demons :18: Sandals work just fine Rocky :nanana:

I have not had any major flinch episodes - love that tale of Euc's tho LOL. I have tho seen one or two very painful events - tho whether to call 'em flinch or not - more like probably shere incompetence!

Seen a good ''scope in forehead'' done and also a flying 454 - fortunately not mine - as a small girl fired and released it real quick - ouch!

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
rocky said:
LOL. Never beeen beaned by a scope. Had plenty of hot brass burn me. Needless to say I don't shoot in sandals.Hmm, maybe I know why P95 wears socks with his sandals.:smile:

Well that calls for

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Damn you Bud - I'm gonna sue!!! :rofl:

·
Registered
862 Posts
scope eye!:aargh4:

I was sighting in my shotgun scope from a bench, when I got it. My dad freeked cause of the amount of blood. There was some old timers there who laughed and told him it will heal quickly. Due to the high amount of capularys in the head. It did, ofcorse. I also got a black eye, and a flinch that took awhile to get rid of.
Although, I did shoot a buck soon after withought flinching.

·
Registered
998 Posts
We have a drill that we use for shooters that flinch. The instructor will stand to the side of the shooter and work the trigger to show them that the gun will hit where it is aimed if the trigger is pressed correctly.

I had a student that had several problems with 'jerking' the trigger being chief among them.

We were doing the drill, and I was telling him to watch the front sight, and I had my finger on the trigger. I took up the slack in the trigger and reminded him to watch the front sight.

He then flinched so bad that the pistol fired. I kid you not. It was so bad that it scared me.

He's now an unarmed security guard at a local hospital.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I want to make a comment about Chris and his sandals, but I'm flinching from just thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
A1C - that's enough young varmint!

I'll have you in the brig before you know it (or whatever the brig is in your line of work!) :18:

·
Registered
51 Posts
My mom used to tell the story of when her younger brothers would take her small game hunting because they were too young to go out by themselves. After chasing rabbits and squirrels through the woods for half the day, mom asked if she could shoot the 12 gauge, which she had never done before. Her brothers, my uncles, generously instructed her to hold the butt of the gun about an inch from her shoulder. She pulled the trigger and wound up on her backside!

Years latter, she unknowingly got the “last laugh” when the same brothers bought an archery tag for her so she could register one of their deer. When the Game Warden asked how heavy the bow was that she used to shoot the deer, my mom replied with “it wasn’t heavy at all, I could lift it with one hand!”

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
In the 1980's while on a hunting trip I knocked my scope rather badly and was concerned that it was off zero, so I decided to go prone and fire a shot to make sure I was still on target. My rifle is a Winchester M70XTR in 7mm Rem Mag with a Leupold Vari-X 3-10 power scope. The only place I had range enough to sample it was up hill. (Sighting uphill, from the prone, is a challenge for those of you who haven't tried it.) I sighted the rifle and fired. Apparently I didn't have a good shoulder weld with the rifle and when I fired the butt of the rifle slipped down my armpit and the scope rapped me firmly between the eyes. I still bear the scar of that day to remember it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Took my sister out some years back, she was probably 110lbs. We had a good day of plinking, mostly .22. Towards the end of the day, my friend got out some clays and a hand thrower, and we started with the shotguns. I had my sis try a Beretta 12g pump loaded with bird shot on a 'floater' I threw up for her, she hit it first time!

My buddy handed her his turkey gun, a cheap single shot, break-over H&R, complete with a magnum turkey load. She managed to keep her feet, but she was finished shooting for the day.

Anyway, she didn't flinch ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,097 Posts
Number 1:

A friend "let" me shoot his .300 magnum rifle. He gave me a reload and it hit a bit low. I raised the sights a bit and fired another reload. This wasn't so bad I thought. I didn't realize how "downloaded" his reloads were.

Nor did I catch the significance of "you're ready for a factory load now." Well, I wasn't. When I fired the rifle jumped back and up. I busted my nose with the thumb of my right hand - didn't bleed, but it was painful. And I swear there had to be skid marks across the concrete pad from my tennis shoes.

I only had on a tee shirt and got a pretty good bruise.

Number 2:
I got the notion back in '99 that I needed a shotgun just in case Y2K was more than I expected. OK, I admit it, it was just an excuse to buy a gun. Further, I was going to take it to Gunsite and take their Tactical Shotgun course - that was one of the most enjoyable courses I have taken.

I discovered Scattergun Technologies was about 120 miles from where I live and one rainy day my wife and I and Tangle (my dog, used to stay tangled up in my feet, hence the name) took off to Nashville and bought my hopped up Rem 870.

Off to the range I go to shoot my new shottie. Loaded up five 00 and shot two of them. Hurt so bad I decided to try the slugs. Shot one of them and it hurt so bad I went home. I called Gunsite and told them of my experience and that there would be no way I could shoot over 500 rounds in a week.

The instructor told me not to shoot it any more that it sounds like I didn't have the shotgun mounted correctly and they would teach me the correct way when I got there. They did; it made all the difference in the world and I had a great time.

·
Registered
810 Posts
We were at the range and a guy wanted to shoot my Ruger #1 in 416 Rem Mag. I told him to stand up, hold it firm to your shoulder, lean in a bit and keep your upper body kind of relaxed -- because it will turn you sideways and there's no way to stop that so don't get hurt. Just control the rifle but don't fight it.
Of course, he says no gun will push him one bit and he tightens up everything he can and pulls the trigger. He told me that he thought it broke his back....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts