Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I was up to renew my CCW permit for the first time. Im 31, and the permit needs to be renewed every 7 years. I got my permit when I first became interested in guns, and I've been toting around a smoke wagon essentially every day since. In the past 7 years, besides my current job (dont carry a firearm at this job due to it being a police dept, but do carry a pepper spray, did carry against policy at every previous job), Id say I've been in public without a gun (besides when I go out with the intent drinking and being merry) maybe 3-4 times ever.

Anyway, to get my permit originally, I had to drive from West Pasco County, all the way to downtown Tampa, about a 45 minute drive without any traffic, park in a garage, find the Dept of Agriculture, figure out what floor of the 20 or so I needed to be on, then wait in a huge line to get processed. Had some good conversation with people who were also trying to get their permit, but overall was not very convenient.

As for the renewal, we could now do it at our local county Tax Collector's office, which is 5 minutes from my house, ever since a couple years ago they opened a "branch" of the DOA there. Its a small room of about 25'x15' with one employee and one in training, on her second day. I was the only other person there, explained that I wanted to renew my permit and they just asked for my driver's license and old CCW permit. They asked me if all my address were the same, snapped a photo of me, took my payment of like $55, and printed out my new permit. If it weren't for me being extra friendly with the beautiful woman in training with the incredible Venezuelan accent, I would have been in and out in 5 minutes. All things considered, it was still a 10 minute interaction.

The renewal process here in Florida is pretty great. Of course nothing beats a state government honoring the 2A and letting people exercise their rights without any infringing licenses that are required, but all that being said, it was as easy of a transaction I've ever had at a state/county office.

Here's to another 7 years of carry! :AR15firing:

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
The renewal process in AL takes about the same amount of time as the initial CCW permit process. Less than 15 minutes! As an added bonus if you are retired military or retired law enforcement it is free for lifetime!:smile:

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
33,911 Posts
The renewal process in AL takes about the same amount of time as the initial CCW permit process. Less than 15 minutes! As an added bonus if you are retired military or retired law enforcement it is free for lifetime!:smile:
Not free here, but we do get to go to the front of the line!

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Not free here, but we do get to go to the front of the line!
Usually there is no line at our Sheriff's Office:biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I just recently got my FL non-resident permit, and it was also pretty painless. I had to get fingerprinted at my local PD and send them a copy of my training certificate along with the application (and some dinero, of course), and that was it. Well, I also sent them a copy of my DD214, and they expedited my application. I had my permit in about 2-3 weeks, while my wife had to wait an additional 3-4 weeks. And no carry justification was required.

That sure was a lot easier than when I got my MA non-resident permit.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Takes 7-10 days here in NH and 10 Bucks for 4 years...Apply at our Local Police Dept where we reside. Show your valid D L or state issued ID and we're good to go. Easy Peasy..

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
My last FL renewal took about 8 minutes, 4 of those minutes involved the card machine warming up...not bad.

Reactions: The Old Anglo

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Yes indeed Florida is the Gunshine State. I renewed mine last September. A far cry from when I lived in NY. All of a sudden they bumped up the Renewal fee in Nassau county from $25 to $250,plus you had to bring all of your handguns to be inspected by the issuing office. I remember happily mailing the License back to them from Florida stating that I, and my Guns were no longer residents.

·
Registered
295 Posts
We just did our FL renewals last year, but we only spent 5 minutes online. (4 of which were spent scanning updated photos)

·
Registered
363 Posts
My wife and I obtained our non resident Florida permits this year while snowbirding from Wisconsin. It was a pleasant experience. We made an appointment with the Charlotte County tax collector, went in a day later, and were finger printed, photographed and done in about 40 minutes. The permits were delivered to our home in about three weeks and sent down here by our son. Great experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts