Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rcvd this email today from DOACS. After checking the system out they finally make an offical announcement. Smart thinking.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
October 5, 2009

DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL.
DIRECT ALL INQUIRIES TO:
Terence McElroy
mailto:[email protected]
(850) 488-3022

BRONSON ANNOUNCES PROGRAM TO EXPEDITE CONCEALED WEAPON LICENSE APPLICATION PROCESS

TALLAHASSEE -- Florida Agriculture and Consumer Services Commissioner Charles H. Bronson today announced that qualified individuals wishing to expedite the turnaround time in obtaining a concealed weapon license can now visit any of the Division of Licensing's eight regional offices to apply for a license.

In an effort to expedite the process and relieve the congestion caused by an unprecedented surge of concealed weapon license applications mailed to the department's headquarters in Tallahassee, the regional offices have been modified to serve as one-stop application intake facilities.

The regional offices, whose locations can be found at Regional Office Listing - Division of Licensing, DOACS, are asking applicants to make an appointment before coming in.

When the appointment takes place, staff members will take the applicant's photograph and fingerprints, and notarize the application after it has been reviewed for completeness. It will then be sent to Tallahassee for processing. The seven-year license costs $117, which includes the licensing fee, fingerprinting and costs for a Florida Department of Law Enforcement criminal background check.

Bronson estimates that applicants who apply in person can expect to receive their licenses in two to three weeks.

Applicants can continue to apply for or renew their concealed weapon licenses by mail as they have always done, although the backlog in applications can mean a two to three month wait in receiving it.

Residents can review the basic eligibility requirements to receive a license by visiting the Division of Licensing's webpage at Eligibility - Weapons - Division of Licensing, DOACS.

Individuals who are interested in obtaining a license by visiting a regional office or who want to learn more about the service can view a frequently asked question page at Submitting a Concealed Wepaon Application at a Regional Office - Division of Licensing, DOACS.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
This is a real plus for those seeking a FL permit, just a short drive to a regional office, nice!:yup:

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I did it.
Here's the deal.
You need an appointment.
You need your proof of a class.
You need your driver's license. (Passport only if you were born outside the US)
You need a check or M/O in the amount of $117 (no cash)
I did all the above, they sat me down at their computer station and I filled out the form. They printed it and notarized it.
They did my fingerprints electronically.
They took my picture via a web cam to their computer.
I was out the door in 28 minutes.

My license arrived in the mail 5 business days later.

They were great to work with, they treated me as a neighbor.
I can't say enough about the office (I went in Tampa)

·
Registered
943 Posts
There's hope for us yet. Of course, Charlie Crist is running for Senate and he's trailing badly. At this point, he'll take all the friends he can get.

If it benefits us, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Way to go Florida! Other states should take notice. My state included.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
What about non-res permits?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes and a more generalized version of this; what are the class requirements? If I've taken a class in NC can I register non-res in Florida (either via. mail or in person) ?

Yes, Florida's trainings reqs are fairly liberal (good and bad). If you ever took a hunter saftey course and the docs to prove it you are good.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Seems it took some load off Tally

My renewal this year only took about three weeks, total time mailed out to mail received.

My guess is that Bronson wants Crist's job.
(a little humor, ok?) Imagine this on a tourism ad:

Gov Bronson Welcomes you to the Gunshine State!
Now Play Nice!

btw, this is not the recommended positioning of forefinger for 'ready'

·
Registered
387 Posts
and now ... the Rest of the AP story

the AP version of this ran longer:
While the state licensing division received a total of 91,000 concealed weapon permit applications in 2008, the division received 96,000 applications in just the first six months of 2009. Active Florida weapon permits total about 650,000.
Nice that twice as many people are legally arming themselves.

What the State provides as a License, the AP considers a "Permit" because? ... reporters still think only the govt can permit you to have a gun?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Congrats Floridians. Now let's get together and continue the expedition process.

I think the whole application process could be processed at the DMV. Why do they need the paperwork notorized when a government official is personally checking the id? Bring in a government issue photo id or the same required id that you would have to get a photo id. Fingerprints could be done on sight and the same phone call/computer check could be made as when purchasing a firearm, at least for the initial review. Maybe even give out a temporary permit that is valid for 30 or 60 days while the prints get run through the FBI and the actual permit is mailed to you.

I think a written test covering the state/federal laws for concealed carry and the state/federal laws for self defense is a good idea that can be administered at the DMV just like the DL test. A booklet can be printed and available to the public for study prior to the test, just like the DL or Motorcycle Permit books.

If the quick phone call is good enough to BUY a firearm, why not let it at least get you a temporary permit? If a temporary DL can be printed on site, why not a temporary CCW?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think a written test covering the state/federal laws for concealed carry and the state/federal laws for self defense is a good idea that can be administered at the DMV just like the DL test.
Not necessary. Guns, especially handguns, are far less dangerous than motor vehicles.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by coriantan View Post
I think a written test covering the state/federal laws for concealed carry and the state/federal laws for self defense is a good idea that can be administered at the DMV just like the DL test.
Oh, my god. I remember going to the D/L office. Half the people couldn't speak English. Someone from the office took the test with them. "Yes, the stop sign is shaped like this, don't you want to mark this box?"

I can see the CCW. "Are you an illegal alien?" "Say NO!" "It's that one."

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
I wish the Texas DPS would do the prints and pics then accept the application pack at their license offices, would be easy to use the fingerprinting and camera equipment they already have

would save paper and reduce errors

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
If the quick phone call is good enough to BUY a firearm, why not let it at least get you a temporary permit? If a temporary DL can be printed on site, why not a temporary CCW?
because extensive background checks are not performed on a DL so a temp can be issued
with a CCW permit (at least in some states) FBI background checks as well as other history are performed so a temp permit would not be viable

·
Registered
862 Posts
i hope this cut's down on the turn around time for an out of state permit as well. i assume it will. i know this was asked earlier but i couldn't find a response...if your out of state and if you had all your stuff and happened to be down in FL could an out of stater get their permit like this, in person?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts