Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened just 5 weeks before the Orlando massacre. Mateen left, went to another gunshop, and the rest we know. The gun dealer felt Mateen was acting "suspicious", asking about body armor, making "weird" comments, etc. The shop owner says they followed the FBI and ATF directive to report anything suspicious.."see something, say something."

It didn't work.

Gun Shop Reported 'Suspicious' Omar Mateen to FBI - Breitbart

Robbie Abell, owner of a Florida gun shop, says he alerted authorities that a suspicious man had come in asking about body armor. Five weeks later, Omar Mateen – equipped with weapons he bought at a different shop after Abell’s employees refused to sell to him – killed 49 people and injured as many at Pulse night club in Orlando.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
What good are laws if you don't enforce them. Is this an example of a US version of "Fast and Furious"?

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
This is a huge story, n'est ce pas?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
This happened just 5 weeks before the Orlando massacre. Mateen left, went to another gunshop, and the rest we know. The gun dealer felt Mateen was acting "suspicious", asking about body armor, making "weird" comments, etc. The shop owner says they followed the FBI and ATF directive to report anything suspicious.."see something, say something."

It didn't work.
There's no indication it didn't work, in advance of knowing whether the guy actually WAS investigated and evaluated.

Myself, I'd like to see a timeline of exactly what contact was made, after such warnings, and exactly what was judged to be the case in the evaluations. Or, if such contact and evaluations didn't occur despite warnings. Too little info, at this point, for me to determine something "didn't work".

Can't find it right now, but one of the "major" news outlets has run a story in the past day indicating the evaluations were done, which temporarily got the guy on a list that would bar acquisition, but was removed from the list when it couldn't be substantiated. Who knows whether these sorts of news reports are valid, at this point.

Don't know, yet. It's early days. And I'm sure that if missteps were done there will be some folks who are scrubbing the data to cleanse the record of their hand in the failures. Time will tell, maybe.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I believe by the current prevailing legal reasoning, the gunshop owner should be fined and investigated by the DOJ Civil Rights Division for his prejudicial treatment of an oppressed minority customer.
You're kidding I hope. It is the right and job to deny sale and transfers of a firearm by the FFL dealer if they have any hesitations of the capacity of the buyer to own and possess a firearm period. I've denied several transfers because I suspected them as a Straw Sale, the person was intoxicated or on drugs, or had a bad argumentative attitude. And I've been applauded by our customers for doing so. It's up the FFL dealer to make the final decision and I wish more would!

·
Registered
926 Posts

It didn't work.

They will still blame the guns anyhow...

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It didn't work.

There's no indication it didn't work.....
I think there are at least 49 families who would likely disagree. When I say it didn't work, I am saying the "see something, say something" directive, that supposedly would detect those who were to be considered a risk worth investigating, didn't work. Presumably, if a licensee reports someone, it then becomes incumbent upon the FBI/ATF to investigate the individual and make a decision. If that happened, the process failed to detect that Mateen should not be acquiring firearms.

I'm not defending the process or saying that it should work or that it's a good idea. I'm saying the process, as prescribed by the FBI/ATF, didn't work in this case. The result at the Pulse Club is all the proof required.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I think there are at least 49 families who would likely disagree. When I say it didn't work, I am saying the "see something, say something" directive, that supposedly would detect those who were to be considered a risk worth investigating, didn't work. Presumably, if a licensee reports someone, it then becomes incumbent upon the FBI/ATF to investigate the individual and make a decision. If that happened, the process failed to detect that Mateen should not be acquiring firearms.
Agreed, that IF no investigation was accomplished when warned of a seemingly-threatening person, I can see how folks would be up in arms about that. But it's hard to know what actually occurred until that info is disclosed. Which I'm sure it will be, at some point.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I am on another forum with the gentleman who reported this. He is a former Corpsman who was attached to an elite Navy anti-terrorism unit.

He gave an interview himself earlier today, I'll link it when he puts it up.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Just as a point of reference, it would be good to know how many "see something, say something" reports are received daily.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Just as a point of reference, it would be good to know how many "see something, say something" reports are received daily.
I'm assuming there's some sort of reporting requirement, on the larger statistics and trends, something like what the FBI does with the Uniform Crime Report stuff. But, that's an assumption.

·
Registered
36,253 Posts
This is a gun store I frequent. Very good people and service there, although I do wish they would stock HP-38 powder.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
This is a gun store I frequent. Very good people and service there, although I do wish they would stock HP-38 powder.
Had you met Doc Steve? Small world OV, he's a good guy, who I am proud to know through the inter webs.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
There's no indication it didn't work, in advance of knowing whether the guy actually WAS investigated and evaluated.

Myself, I'd like to see a timeline of exactly what contact was made, after such warnings, and exactly what was judged to be the case in the evaluations. Or, if such contact and evaluations didn't occur despite warnings. Too little info, at this point, for me to determine something "didn't work".

Can't find it right now, but one of the "major" news outlets has run a story in the past day indicating the evaluations were done, which temporarily got the guy on a list that would bar acquisition, but was removed from the list when it couldn't be substantiated. Who knows whether these sorts of news reports are valid, at this point.

Don't know, yet. It's early days. And I'm sure that if missteps were done there will be some folks who are scrubbing the data to cleanse the record of their hand in the failures. Time will tell, maybe.
There were a few articles on this story .... a few weeks ago ..... about the Gun Shop owner in Florida refusing to do a sale to a guy ... that fits this story.

I remember posting it on Facebook .

A situation here, a kid (about 17) was trying to buy ammo at a store and they were refusing to sell it to him. I was waiting to buy some ammo. And his comment was "what do you think I'm going to do, go out and shoot people". When he left I asked the clerk , are you calling the police or am I , do you have his info. It was way too suspicious. He said he did and would report it. The next day, he went into a school and started shooting. Saw the picture of him in the News.... it was him, so called in and reported it, if they needed any witness to his comments and that it was obviously planned. They had the store's report, but no time to check it out before he did what he did.

·
Registered
36,253 Posts
I am invisible. He would not know me if he saw me, which he can't as I am invisible.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I am invisible. He would not know me if he saw me, which he can't as I am invisible.
Somehow I doubt that, you are one in a large, but select group of forum members I would love to sit down to a meal with.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
You're kidding I hope. It is the right and job to deny sale and transfers of a firearm by the FFL dealer if they have any hesitations of the capacity of the buyer to own and possess a firearm period. I've denied several transfers because I suspected them as a Straw Sale, the person was intoxicated or on drugs, or had a bad argumentative attitude. And I've been applauded by our customers for doing so. It's up the FFL dealer to make the final decision and I wish more would!
As a person selling guns or socks, you have the right to not sell to anyone you dont want too.

You dont have the RIGHT to deny anyone a firearm or make that decision.
What you have is an unconstitutional licence issued under an unconstitutional law that is the very essence of infringement,

Just sayin.

Reactions: ccw9mm

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The challenge faced by the FBI with "see something, say something" is sorting the wheat from the chaff- something EASILY done with hindsight.

For every call of substance, I bet there are a 1000 calls about the adult male who plays to much "Call of Duty" in his mom's basement and gets a bit too excited in the LGS, or the "Yup. I just saw five of them there moose limbs with turbines on their heads. I know they gosta be up to no good...".

One would hope they woud act on call like "We saw a couple of guys in a remote section of the local state park loading a bunch of heavy polydrums into the back of a yellow Ryder truck...".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts