1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
#hardtarget

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Having openly carried my sidearm, which is the normal mode of carry in my state, for 7 1/2 years, I know what the sheriff says is true. Not because I have been the victim of an attack or an attempted attack but because it is pure and simple common sense.

I no longer open carry when out and about but I always open carry when in my vehicles and in a few other situations. For open carry to really do its job of helping to reduce criminal encounters, a large segment of the carrying population of a state would have to open carry on a daily basis. This would keep the heads of criminals on a swivel and make their life miserable and their enterprises very difficult to pull off. Frankly, I don't understand the logic of a state restricting its citizens rights to open carry but permitting them to carry concealed. That makes no sense to me. But then as I said, open carry is the normal mode of carrying a sidearm in my state so that is my point of reference.

Reactions: oldman45

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
2:00= "The right to show they're hard targets".

So he's advancing the idea that anyone open carrying is automatically a hard target? Really? That's not reality. The gun doesn't make you a hard target anymore than the spoon makes Rosie fat.

·
Registered
14,270 Posts
Fotolia_51127489_XS.jpg 2-gun-front.jpg Recruitment-Center-Security.jpg tex.jpg

Yep, these some hard targets.......:rofl:

All humor aside, I have said it before and will say it again an openly carried gun does not make you a hard target, you make you a hard target. As an LEO I openly carried for decades having to fight over my gun on numerous occasions, and even in my mid 50's I am nobody's idea of a soft target. If someone gets your gun it is likely a death sentence. If you are going to open carry, get some good training and use a retention holster.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Wayne Ivey is my County Sheriff, he really is a great 2A supporter. The "Hard target" he was speaking of was merely pointing out
that an armed person is less likely to be a victim. I think he was mis-interpreted.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
2:00= "The right to show they're hard targets".

So he's advancing the idea that anyone open carrying is automatically a hard target? Really? That's not reality. The gun doesn't make you a hard target anymore than the spoon makes Rosie fat.
I believe his intent in this statement was that someone openly carrying a firearm is going to appear right away to a BG to be a more difficult victim. The concealed carrier looks just like anyone else and therefore, could be prime meat whereas as the visible gun is a silent deterrent. In this he's correct. Not 100% of the time but by far, most of the time. It is rare that BG's attack visibly armed people. Now killers (i.e. so called active shooters) could probably care less and my guess is if they saw an openly armed citizen, they'd try to take them out, just like they would with a uniformed LEO. But the average BG... no, they'll just find another victim.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I believe his intent in this statement was that someone openly carrying a firearm is going to appear right away to a BG to be a more difficult victim. The concealed carrier looks just like anyone else and therefore, could be prime meat whereas as the visible gun is a silent deterrent. In this he's correct. Not 100% of the time but by far, most of the time. It is rare that BG's attack visibly armed people. Now killers (i.e. so called active shooters) could probably care less and my guess is if they saw an openly armed citizen, they'd try to take them out, just like they would with a uniformed LEO. But the average BG... no, they'll just find another victim.
There is no average bad guy. As Bob stated, "an openly carried gun does not make you a hard target, you make you a hard target".

·
Super Moderator
22,275 Posts
View attachment 176546 View attachment 176554 View attachment 176562 View attachment 176570

All humor aside, I have said it before and will say it again an openly carried gun does not make you a hard target, you make you a hard target. As an LEO I openly carried for decades having to fight over my gun on numerous occasions, and even in my mid 50's I am nobody's idea of a soft target. If someone gets your gun it is likely a death sentence. If you are going to open carry, get some good training and use a retention holster.
Just had to throw Tex in there didn't ya!

:wink:

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
View attachment 176546 View attachment 176554 View attachment 176562 View attachment 176570

Who needs a retention holster when you have a retention gut?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
There is no average bad guy.
I was hoping my intent with this was more clear. How about some young punk approaching you in a parking lot versus some San Bernardino killer bent on filling body bags.

As Bob stated, "an openly carried gun does not make you a hard target, you make you a hard target".
I respectfully disagree with this. I'm 71, in excellent physical shape for my age, and don't look 71. But I'm not some buffed up 36 year old linebacker. If what Bob means is a sense of awareness and attitude (read that as confidence and an self-assured facade) then yes, I agree. Let's just say then that it's the whole package that works.

Reactions: Paladin3840

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Im all for any advancement of the 2A, whether I think it's a good idea or not.

But I have to wonder; if what OC advocates claim is true, no one will notice they are OCing anyway?

Reactions: Bad Bob and AzQkr

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I was hoping my intent with this was more clear. How about some young punk approaching you in a parking lot versus some San Bernardino killer bent on filling body bags.

I respectfully disagree with this. I'm 71, in excellent physical shape for my age, and don't look 71. But I'm not some buffed up 36 year old linebacker. If what Bob means is a sense of awareness and attitude (read that as confidence and an self-assured facade) then yes, I agree. Let's just say then that it's the whole package that works.
Can you tell me which of 3 young adults shown depicts a young punk, and which depicts a stone cold killer?

Attachments

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Can you tell me which of these young adults depicts a young punk, and which depicts a stone cold killer?
Looks like the same guy.

Reactions: Bad Bob and AzQkr

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm wouldn't OC even if it was legal, but I believe whole heartedly that people should have the right to do so. The only risk I see with OC is the rare type of criminal who's willing to attempt to steal the firearm.

Basically if your going to OC then I would heavily encourage a proper holster with decent retention qualities. This combined with the physical ability and know-how to defend your firearm and yourself would be wise as you will be encouraging these criminals to try and get a quick gun.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I'm wouldn't OC even if it was legal, but I believe whole heartedly that people should have the right to do so. The only risk I see with OC is the rare type of criminal who's willing to attempt to steal the firearm.

Basically if your going to OC then I would heavily encourage a proper holster with decent retention qualities. This combined with the physical ability and know-how to defend your firearm and yourself would be wise as you will be encouraging these criminals to try and get a quick gun.
How many OCer's fit that description? lol

Make no mistake about it, I've Oc'd and will OC again. The layperson may believe an exposed firearm makes that person a harder target, but the BG's know what they are looking at as potential prey. 5'7", 135#'s of skin and bones or 6'2" and 325#'s of slob, neither with an exposed gun is going to be considered a hard target. Which I think Southern was basically alluding to.

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
3 different kids Gman, I added another one to the mix. Care to gander which two are the punks and which one is a killer?
Clean cut kid?

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Clean cut kid?
Correct sir, one of the two kids involved in the shooting/ Columbine Massacre. Stone cold killer, the other two are junks punks. That's why I mentioned one can't tell who the punks are and who the killers are very readily.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts