Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone is carrying without a permit. Since a state of emergency has been declared is anyone going to carry in the mandatory evac areas? Just curious.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
I'm not there now but my family is still in Myrtle Beach, SC and they are not leaving - I told them to stay and charge up the golf cart for shell collecting the next day. Now sure what it is in FL or how bad it will be but suppose to be a 2 or 3 when it skirts or hits the Carolinas. I've been through at least 7 storms, as long as it isn't a 4 or 5 I'd stay put (and if your not in a mobile home) because it will take you forever to get back home with the one way traffic. Mandatory evac doesn't mean you HAVE too leave if it's your home, least now where I'm from.

Wish you the best, don't forget to fill the tub with water to flush the toilet with if you stay :smile:
(Beer and Chips don't go bad that quick fwiw)

As far as carrying without a permit...you aren't going to find anyone here on this forum that knows the laws that will tell you to do that since it's illegal.

Reactions: SatCong

·
Registered
130 Posts
We have evacuated, under a mandatory order. I have my permit and have for 10 years. I have my AR, my AR pistol and 500 rounds. I also have a .45, a 9mm and a 380. We're good. Hope our house will be. Be safe my fellow Floridians.

Reactions: Ianthin and GpTom

·
Registered
944 Posts
Reactions: lester319

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Wow, Florida sure sounds one heck of lot better on this (laws on emergency evacs) than say Louisiana during Katrina. IIRC, during Katrina, Louisiana tried to say you couldn't have any guns during evac or during the state of emergency and they even tried to confiscate guns from some of the people.

Go FL!
...did confiscate guns.

·
Registered
41,613 Posts
As far as carrying without a permit...you aren't going to find anyone here on this forum that knows the laws that will tell you to do that since it's illegal.
Tis legal.
FS 790.01 Unlicensed carrying of concealed weapons or concealed firearms.—
(3) This section does not apply to:
(a) A person who carries a concealed weapon, or a person who may lawfully possess a firearm and who carries a concealed firearm, on or about his or her person while in the act of evacuating during a mandatory evacuation order issued during a state of emergency declared by the Governor pursuant to chapter 252 or declared by a local authority pursuant to chapter 870. As used in this subsection, the term “in the act of evacuating” means the immediate and urgent movement of a person away from the evacuation zone within 48 hours after a mandatory evacuation is ordered. The 48 hours may be extended by an order issued by the Governor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm new to all this so bear with me. I see you can carry while evacuating but how about if you are staying put. I don't have my permit yet as it still in the process stage. I know we will lose power. That's when all the stuff starts happening. Can I carry within my property?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Our son lives and works in Melbourne Fl. We asked him yesterday afternoon if he could get inland before it hits and he said that the way the traffic is on the highways he thinks he will be better off in his apartment than taking a chance on getting caught outdoors. I hope that he doesn't get caught up in a nightmare that he can't wake up from. From what people have said the bad part about a hurricane is that it takes so long from the time it starts blowing until it is finally over. Funny how everybody worries that they have enough gas in their cars even if they don't plan on getting out. He tried to assure us that he is prepared and has extra batteries and a tank full of gas. I have thought of a hundred things that I hope he doesn't need. I don't know if he has thought about his guns at all yet. He doesn't carry everyday. Anybody from down that way want to contact me- send me a personal message be glad to hear from you.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I doubt if they will be searching people so if you keep your guns out of sight and don't have to use them then I don't know how they would know that you have them. I would just carry what I can conceal. If you have to use it then I would worry about that after the fact but like they say-it is better to have the gun and not need it than to need the gun that you don't have. I don't intend to tell anybody to break the law just saying what I would do. Seems pretty stupid to allow people to have something to protect themselves with until they might need it and then to tell them that they can't have it.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We have evacuated, under a mandatory order. I have my permit and have for 10 years. I have my AR, my AR pistol and 500 rounds. I also have a .45, a 9mm and a 380. We're good. Hope our house will be. Be safe my fellow Floridians.
Good luck. Some of the worst days of my life were after we evacuated for Opal. They put up a road block to prevent people from coming back until the power lines were secured and roads were cleared. We sat at a road block for six hours wondering if our house had survived. It did. Two sections of my privacy fence blew over, but that was it. We had friends who lost there homes to the storm surge.

I went to my Father in law's home after Ivan and helped set up a check point into his neighborhood after we caught some folks looting. The police came by and actually gave us pointers on how to screen people and the use of force.

Reactions: mhiggi02

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Tis legal.
FS 790.01 Unlicensed carrying of concealed weapons or concealed firearms.—
(3) This section does not apply to:
(a) A person who carries a concealed weapon, or a person who may lawfully possess a firearm and who carries a concealed firearm, on or about his or her person while in the act of evacuating during a mandatory evacuation order issued during a state of emergency declared by the Governor pursuant to chapter 252 or declared by a local authority pursuant to chapter 870. As used in this subsection, the term “in the act of evacuating” means the immediate and urgent movement of a person away from the evacuation zone within 48 hours after a mandatory evacuation is ordered. The 48 hours may be extended by an order issued by the Governor.

I get that you are quoting the laws in FL, so maybe I got the question incorrect or I don't know ALL STATE LAWS? If it's a mandatory evac in FL, would this give the permit carrier free will to carry in GEORGIA, ALABAMA, S & N CAROLINA and so forth? This means (from what I understand you are saying) that the other state laws are void if the coast has an evacuation and the person has to leave and go to another state then this will be okay? Can you give me a federal law that states it's okay to carry in all states if your state has a mandatory evac because I'd love to see it after spending a lifetime in hurricane country...never knew that the storm voided fed/state laws across the country?

Some I know in MB are leaving the state going North and South - if they can carry to other states seriously, I would love to send them a note and tell them it's okay to take the guns since some have asked me this and I advised them to NOT carry to another state if it wasn't legal in the particular state they were traveling too. I really didn't think it was legal but you are much older than me....
:smile:

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
This whole question of taking your firearms with you during an evacuation is yet another reason to get your permit. That way if you cross into another State like Georgia, AL or SC you are covered. It's a PITA to go through all of the application process but once you have it you are covered.

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
This whole question of taking your firearms with you during an evacuation is yet another reason to get your permit. That way if you cross into another State like Georgia, AL or SC you are covered. It's a PITA to go through all of the application process but once you have it you are covered.
And exactly why I am getting an AZ permit. My SC one covers a lot of states. CWOUSCG and I have been traveling all over the place and it's too important to me to even try to push the law, not going to do it. My Mom has her SC permit so she is good to go in NC where we have family however I believe she will be fine in Myrtle Beach - usually it goes inland and they get flooding anyway. Her neighbors are not going, they are all within half mile to the ocean but the ground it high there.

Reactions: Doogie

·
Registered
41,613 Posts
I'm new to all this so bear with me. I see you can carry while evacuating but how about if you are staying put. I don't have my permit yet as it still in the process stage. I know we will lose power. That's when all the stuff starts happening. Can I carry within my property?
Lawful per FS 790.025 (3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 [Open carry prohibition] and 790.06 [Concealed Carry permit requirement]do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(n) A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;

·
Registered
45 Posts
From everything I have read, you can pack all your guns per interstate travel guidelines, just need to be separate from ammo. Look it up.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I'm not having to go anywhere. Live in Lakeland and will hunker down. People in Florida, Georgia and SC be safe.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Just curious what about after the state of emergency has been lifted? Say you are on your way back home after 3-4 days. Are those people that are carrying without a permit now breaking the law?

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
In an emergency such as the aftermath of a hurricane. I don't think CCW would even be a concern for law abiding citizens. IMHO the police will have so much more on their plate, that it would be a non issue. Probably encouraged if you are someone without a criminal history. I remember Hurricane Andrew. A guy I worked with went home on emergency leave. He and his neighbors had to take turns on guard duty due to the looting . All were armed and it was encouraged by police from what he told me.Neighborhoods that did not do this were looted.
My only experience with a hurricane was Hugo and uncle sam armed us up and dropped us off around Beaufort SC to prevent stores from being looted. I remember thinking when I was dropped off, "where the heck am I supposed to go when the water comes?". They had told us we were expected to get 15 ft of storm surge. It hit farther north, Charleston area instead...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts