Defensive Carry banner

Florida Warning Florida Warning Florida Warning

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Bumper 
#1 ·
On April 15, I sent away the renewal for my Florida CCW. Twelve days ago, someone opened a new MasterCard in my name and they had my SS number. They then proceded to run up $9000 in charges.

The FL application form requires your SS# and, I understand, that all of that info becomes part of public record. I don't know if that's where they got the info, but from the timing it looks like a possibility.

The Credit Card company spotted the problem about a week ago and shut the card down. One of the things they told me to do was have the credit bureaus put a watch on my ss# to stop any further use of that number.

It might be a good idea to do that prior to sending in a Florida CCW application.

#2 ·
OUCH!!! Thx for heads up. I submitted my app' back in mid Feb. Surely tho the actuall SSN does not become ''public domain''??? I mean - that would be more than crazy - wouldn't it? :eek:

I am glad the card companies have ''red flag'' systems - only today my wife was informed by PayPal someone had opened an account in her name - or close to it - and gotten hold of a CC# she had not even used on there. Her only use of it was online for some auto parts a short time ago. Anyways - thank heaven for red flags and she was able to get things all but wrapped up today - and hopefully the perp/perps will be got.

I really would like to know re this SSN deal. :frown:

#4 ·
Believe me, the State of Florida is not allowed, in any way, to publish, release or otherwise make available your social security number outside of the agency you sent in your application to. If someone got your SSN from there, it was probably an inside job, possibly a state worker or janitor. I would contact them....

#7 ·
grnzbra said:
On April 15, I sent away the renewal for my Florida CCW. Twelve days ago, someone opened a new MasterCard in my name and they had my SS number. They then proceded to run up $9000 in charges...
There are a lot of ways for someone to get your SSN, easier and with less trouble than from your CCW app. There are a lot of ways to open an account, including starting with a pre-approved offer from the credit card company, itself.

It could be coincidental with your CCW app, and completely unrelated.

#8 ·
Texas SSN requirement

In Texas, It is now required that you provide your SSN when you purchase a hunting/fishing license. They also require your driver's license number. All that data is on some data base, so it is obtainable by scum that knows how. If you decline to give them the number, they won't issue a permit. Are other states the same way ?

#9 ·
Montana also requires an SSAN when purchasing a hunting & fishing license.

#10 ·
When I first arrived in Arizona 15 years ago they told me I could have a state issued DL number or I could use my SSN as my DL number. My choice. I told them to use my SSN. They aked me what it was. I gave them one that was one number off my correct one. I left it that way until it expired and then decided I should "get right". I had them issue me a DL number... :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.