Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I was reading up on Sunfest, a week-long music and arts festival in West Palm Beach. I attended last year prior to having my CWFL, so I did not even bother to check the rules. I have checked this year, and they can be found at this link: What?s Allowed Inside | SunFest Music and Arts Festival | May 1-5, 2013

Obviously, the prohibited items create a no-go for concealed carry. My issue is this: the area that is used for this festival is a public portion of the city, although as a paid event they fence it in for the festival. Any other time of the year, it is entirely legal to carry a concealed weapon there. My understanding was that the laws in Florida were rewritten in 2012 such that it was against the law for any county or municipality to prohibit carry in any place not specifically covered by FS 790. What am I missing here? One of my friends suggested that the area may be under lease by the company operating sunfest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't recall metal detectors in years past but given the mass hysteria about guns right now I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
If they're serving alcohol within the confines of the fence, but not necessarily selling it within specifically designated areas, they can probably prohibit carry within the entire fence perimeter.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It is legal to carry there. It is not listed in the off-limits places in F.S. 790. It is not a bar.
If discovered, you would have to leave.
I have no idea if there will be metal detectors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I was thinking. I am going to ask my friends that have already been if metal detectors are being used. I would hate to be denied entry, but with recent events in this country such as they are the idea of being unarmed in a large crowd is cause for anxiousness.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
If they are telling you that no weapons are allowed at the festival, and with the expected added security due to Boston, why would you carry and give a cop a reason
to hassle you? And this year, they may not just ask you to leave..............:ticking:

I either bite the "bullet" and disarm when I have to, or I just stay away.....usually the latter.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Probably will be rained out anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I don't disagree with you here gator, but I can see where the organization might try to establish that the entire confines is open to serving alcohol and therefore under FL statute off limits to firearms. We've seen a multitude of changes to restaurants in Florida over the last few years, for instance Outbacks, Sonny's and Applebee's adding walls, at least half walls, around the bar area thereby setting them aside as the portion of the establishment that exists primarily to serve alcohol. That way a legal carrier can just avoid those areas and stay legal. So it doesn't seem a stretch to me that a community organizing something like this may try to establish the confines of the fence as an open area in which alcohol is being served.

As I said I don't agree with that and don't disagree with you, but I could see that happening.

·
Registered
42,066 Posts
The organizers have neither the power nor the authority to ban concealed carry at sunfest--which is held on public property, not on privately owned property. Only the state has that authority, and it has not. Being public property, I don't believe you can even be "trespassed" as you are the public who owns the streets and area. The wacky mayor of WPB will certainly try but knows she can ban legally concealed firearms.

I have emailed the Sunfest site asking for their authority to ban firearms and will post it if they reply.

Reactions: bigmacque

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just go, follow the rules and stop worrying about it.

When we live in fear and and can't go to a festival without feeling "anxious" because you don't have a gun then the terrorists have won. If you feel anxious out in public places without a gun you should go to a psychiatrist instead of going to a festival.

·
Registered
42,066 Posts
The thought of carrying a firearm to protect myself from "terrorists" has never crossed my mind as to date it's been totally useless in that aspect. I carry for protection against the scumbags who prey on folks going to/from parked vehicles there. I don't feel "anxious" at all, only cautious.

I resent anyone deciding what's legal for me to do or not do without the authority to do so.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If your walking around feeling "anxious" without a gun for a short while then your suffering from paranoia.

You have the right not to go to the event if you don't like the rules. Maybe you should just stay home and lock your doors and close your blinds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with much of.what is being said..in all likelihood I will simply follow the rules and disarm..I posed the question primarily out of interest in the legal aspect of sunfest banning firearms. I will say however that with some of the lowlifes I've encountered over the years in wpb I am not particularly fond of being disarmed between my vehicle and the gate.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just go, follow the rules and stop worrying about it.

When we live in fear and and can't go to a festival without feeling "anxious" because you don't have a gun then the terrorists have won. If you feel anxious out in public places without a gun you should go to a psychiatrist instead of going to a festival.
Not true at all. Terrorist would be the least of my worries at a festival of any kind. Festivals bring together thousandths of people from all walks of live including bad guys (BTW more than 100 gangs are known to operate in WPB according to the sheriffs office). To me there is no paranoia or anxiety in having the desire to have he ability to protect my family and myself when confined with thousands of people I don't know. I do not have ESP (I do have ESPN though), so I do not have the ability to know ahead of time when I may need to defend myself. The old saying goes if I knew a gunfight would break out I wold stay home. There are few places I feel the real need to be armed more than at an even where I am elbow to elbow with thousands of people I do not know. I would much rather be prepared and not need it than to live (or die) regretting that I was not.
Just in case you want to call it paranoia here are but just a few festivals that included shootings and killing. They range from folk festivals, to music festivals, cherry blossom festivals, and of course the most recent 420 festival in Denver. There are many, many more if you wold like me to post them for ya.

1 killed in mass shooting at Crab Festival outside of Gainesville|Action News - Jacksonville News, Weather & Sports - ActionNewsJax.com

Gunfire at marijuana festival in Denver injures 3 - Washington Times

Every Time I Die?s Keith Buckley Talks Festival Gunfire Incident, Lyrical Inspirations + More

Terry Jimenez Pleads Guilty in Caribbean Festival Shooting | Homicide Watch D.C. | Mark every death. Remember every victim. Follow every case.

Asian Festival closes early after gunfire | The Columbus Dispatch

Crowd stops suspected gunman after two are shot at Folklife Festival - seattlepi.com

5 arrested, gunfire reported Saturday at Cherry Blossom Festival | Crime | Macon.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts