Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Louisiana resident and I am about to sign up for my first concealed carry class but was recently told that I could get a non resident Florida License and save some time. Is there any advantage of getting my Louisiana license being that that is the state I reside in of is the nonresident Florida license just as accepted by local law inforcement.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Travel would be the only problem . Some states do not honor Non resident permits. 1 Example is SC. I have a NR new Hampshire , and it is good all the way to the border of SC

·
Registered
752 Posts
I am a Louisiana resident and I am about to sign up for my first concealed carry class but was recently told that I could get a non resident Florida License and save some time. Is there any advantage of getting my Louisiana license being that that is the state I reside in of is the nonresident Florida license just as accepted by local law inforcement.
I'd check your state's AG website to be sure. While LA may accept FL non-resident permits, it may ONLY be for non-LA residents.
Many states will only accept their own permits for residents.

·
Registered
309 Posts
There is rumor of Louisiana dropping Florida nonresident licenses from their list of honored licenses in the near future. The best reason I can get from anyone is a training issue, but I'm leaning more towards a money issue. After all we all know that it is a bunch of crap that we have to even get a license to carry our legally owned weapons.

That being said, I'd suggest getting a resident Louisiana license instead.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My reason for a Louisiana Permit

As a resident of Louisiana I too had a choice of a Louisiana Permit or a Floridia non resident permit. Several people recommended the Fla permit and I might still get one however, after considerable deliberation I decided to get a Louisiana permit first and recommend you do the same. My reason behind it is that I doubt any one in Louisiana has any stastic of how many of its residents have a Fla permit. On the other hand you can bet that there are statistics by area on all the residentiall permits. I figure that my legislator checks to see how many are in his district when he votes on something that might affect us. In other words there is strength in numbers and we need your added number.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am a Louisiana resident with a Florida non-resident license. I have not heard about the above rumor about LA dropping FL from their reciprocity list.

The advantages of the FL non-resident permit is more states will recognize it and of course the cost is much less. It costs $117 for 7 years. LA is $100 for 4 years. Per FL's website, there are only 4 states that require you to be a FL resident. They are, Colorado, Michigan, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. So, if you plan to visit those states often, then I would advise you to get a LA license.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It looks like it was a rumor started by opponents of Bobby Jindal, when we was running for election. They stated that he has a problem with Louisiana residents carrying on out-of-state permits, and that he intended to push for legislation that would only permit Louisiana residents to carry in Louisiana on a Louisiana-issued CHL; Reciprocity would of remained for non-LA residents.

This of course was before he was elected and he has shown since his election to be a very supportive to us gun owners. For instance, he vetoed a bill that would have made it a crime to carry firearms within 1,000 feet of a sanctioned parade or demonstration in the State of Louisiana, even if you were legally licensed.

He also sponsored a bill barring federal law enforcement officers from confiscating legally owned guns after a disaster such as Hurricane Katrina, which was passed by a large margin. Based on his actions on gun control so far, I'd be very surprised if there are any facts to the rumors at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts