Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aging parents live in the Chicago suburbs. Dad was always an avid shooter, hunter and at one-time a gunsmith so he has a few nice firearms. As he no longer shoots, I was thinking of rescuing a few of his guns and bringing them to the safety of Texas before his state becomes any more restrictive (see Mods, no political comments from me:rant:). Does anyone know (particularly those forum members from the Illinois) if I can simply pack them in a check-able, lockable hard-case and fly them out of a Chicago airport? The airline (Southwest) does not present a problem as I'll have them broken down and unloaded but getting them through Midway Airport may be a little hairy. I do not have a FOID card and I don't want to break any laws, just get a few choice pieces to the relative safety of Texas. I have even thought of using one of the locking, hard-case golf bags with extra foam inserts to get them past airport security unchallenged (I don't think a guy with a golf bag would attract much attention).
The fall-back plan is to pay to ship them to an FFL near my home but I wanted to know if there was a cheaper solution.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
How about flying out of Milwaukee or Indianapolis? or even St. Louis...?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I believe your father can gift them to you and you can legally pack them up and send them home. If they're old enough, you can mark them antiques.But to be safe I'd check with a lawyer.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Since you are not an IL resident you do not need a FOID card.
As far as taking them home to another state via checked baggage then you need to contact the airlines for their procedure. There is nothing in IL law that prohibits what you are doing. IL does not register firearms.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No problem flying out of Midway. I fly Southwest all the time and pack my 45 in a hard case per the airline rules. 2 years ago I flew down to Tampa and back with my M1 in a hard lockable case and had no troubles at all. Obviously make sure you declare them when you check in and you should not have any problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Guys! I feel much better about getting the firearms out of the state. I'm heading north in two weeks. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Of course, if the rules change suddenly and I get bagged by the airport police, my wife will let you know where to send the cake with a file in it... :Slip:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts