Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be flying from Portland to Dallas in 2 days.. this may seem like short notice.. but has any one flown with a stock Glock case with a padlock around the handle? Will the pass airline requirements to fly?

Here is what I am talking about:

This is how much gap the case has with the latches unsecured (It would be very unlikely that the latches would open in the first place):

The Glock case seems very durable, but I have never flown with a firearm before and dont know what to expect.:confused: .. yes I have read the multiple threads on flying with firearms... this question is just focused on the case and the ability to fly with it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just flew from Knoxville to Albuquerque with a Kel-Tec P-32, two empty magazines, and an original box of 50 32 cal ammo in a
Glock box with a padlock (looks just like your set-up) with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
As long as they can't open the case with the lock,but I would install an eyebolt inside to run a cable lock thru and secure to the suitcase so nobody can open your luggage and just grab the case

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
That's interesting to know. I never would've thought it could be that simple.... nothing to do with the government ever is...

·
Registered
141 Posts
As long as they can't open the case with the lock,but I would install an eyebolt inside to run a cable lock thru and secure to the suitcase so nobody can open your luggage and just grab the case
Never thought of that. Great recommendation!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
IIRC I've seen other people post about securing the case in the luggage as there have been pistols stolen out of luggage between destinations

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I don't think you'll need a massive lock on a small case, that just means that you've lost an expensive lock and the small case...that is if the airport thief targets your bag.

A simple Center of Mass safe with the cable attached to something inside the luggage certainly helps, but if at the bottom of the luggage, you're probably OK. I've never had anything missing from my luggage...but it does happen.:blink::icon_neutral:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just make sure you say "I need a firearms declaration form" at the counter. Don't say "I have a gun" that can ruin your day...... and then when you walk your bags to ctx 4 (I usually fly Southwest out of Portland) you should be set....

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
When you get the eyebolt, get a Nylon nut this will allow the nut to remain tight if somebody tries to unscrew the bolt from the outside of the case. I personally like to run the lock that came with the gun thru the ejection port out the mag well. So when I have to open the case at JFK there is no reason to handle the gun, the Port Authority Police can see that it is unloaded.

Also as stated before print out a copy of the TSA rules and your airline rules. Make use that if your tickets are Delta tickets they are not partnering with another airline with diffrent rules. Delta and NorthWest are merging. Delta and Northwest Merger The Basics FAQs

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just make sure you say "I need a firearms declaration form" at the counter.
That is exactly what I said at the international airport in Houston. With a huge crowd standing in line, the new clerk yells out to her peers at the ticket counters "Hey, this man has a gun. What am I supposed to do?"

Good Grief!

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
declaration

That is exactly what I said at the international airport in Houston. With a huge crowd standing in line, the new clerk yells out to her peers at the ticket counters "Hey, this man has a gun. What am I supposed to do?"

Good Grief!
Well, that certainly is a "declaration!" :aargh4:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would be extremely careful about what you propose as far as a lock around the handle, regardless of other people's experiences. The following is from the TSA web page on airline handgun transportation rules:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
# The firearm must be unloaded.
# The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
# The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
# We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
# You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
# You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
# You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
# You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage
All it takes is a disagreeable TSA screener and if they determine your case COULD be pulled open, your handgun won't be allowed to go. Remember, they interpret the rules, not you. I'd look at a Center of Mass safe instead. they are under 50 dollars and will guarantee your pistol can fly.

my .02. YMMV

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replys... I will post on here whether or not I had any issues with TSA or AA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts