Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a couple of years since I've seen discussions on this pistol. It is very accurate, potent, and has controllable recoil.

Does anyone conceal carry this for self defense?
Have the prices come down on the gun?
Has ammo availability increased on it for effective defensive ammo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It's a large gun to conceal. Prices seem pretty consistently above $1000 used to $1300 for new or thereabouts. Ammo is available everywhere.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Loud, expensive, comparitively obscure ammo, large, and not that more juice than a hot .22 mag? They have (IMHO) a cult following. And it's a sizable, dedicated cult, yet it's still...a cult. :blink:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
American eagle started making the ammo some time ago. I don't see a shortage of ammo and isn't crazy expensive IMO. The gun will always demand over thousand from what I've seen. The gun is completely capable of being carried and suitable for defense. The round is closely relative to a 22 mag when it comes to ballistics, but the ammo has many different offerings that should show a higher effectiveness then it's rimfire counterpart along with reliability. If you got the cash then there's no reason to say it's not a viable option. People just like what's abundant and cheap which is a valid point.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
It's a huge pistol to try to conceal and that's always going to be a fairly sizable (no pun intended) negative. I don't think you'll ever see it get a large following in the 'carry pistol' arena for that reason alone. It is definitely a very controllable firearm that packs a lot of rounds in a mag but it's just too big to be practical for most carry purposes.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Is it bigger than a Glock 21? The G21SF is certainly workable for CC. I carry mine on occasion while wearing shorts & T-shirt:

I've shot the 5-7 and it's a really fun gun to shoot. I wouldn't want to be shot with one either.

While it could be used as a defense gun, it definitely would not be a top choice as a defense gun, in my view. I prefer heavy bullets for bone busting without deflecting followed by deep penetration: 180 gr in .40 or 230 gr in .45.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I am a big fan of 5.7 and the pistol.. Yes it is big but weights nothing ..As to the whole 22 mag thing ..1 this is centerfire not rimfire so that is a plus ..It is a lot hotter and nastier with the right loads I think here of green tip ..Yes it can go though level 3 armor if you have ss190 or T6 ammo which yes is legal to own if pre ban and yes it is nasty .

Pro tip .. Get the eariler model without the front slide serrations ... It is thiner ...If you can find a fixed sight model that is the best one to have to carry ...Not easy any more but a very good gun to shoot and carry ...

And a lot of people make ammo for it now ...PSA has had 50 round boxs of American eagle or blue tip VMAX for like 15 and 17 a box ..So yes a bit more then 9mm but a lot cooler round

Little recoil either ...Yes not a micro gun but all plastic so weights nothing to carry ..Plus the 20 or 30 round mags help..A lot

Reactions: CDRGlock

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Oh and I have seen Gen 2 models for 900 or less ...The old pre serration front and fixed sight and very early IOM and DAO models they always go up though

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Is it bigger than a Glock 21? The G21SF is certainly workable for CC. I carry mine on occasion while wearing shorts & T-shirt:

I've shot the 5-7 and it's a really fun gun to shoot. I wouldn't want to be shot with one either.

While it could be used as a defense gun, it definitely would not be a top choice as a defense gun, in my view. I prefer heavy bullets for bone busting without deflecting followed by deep penetration: 180 gr in .40 or 230 gr in .45.
It's pretty close in size to the 21 though it's a bit wider I believe.

It's not that someone couldn't carry it, it's that it's too big to be widely effective for people to carry concealed. I'm sure you can carry your 21 but it's a large gun to be concealing and it's most likely that it's not really all that concealed. Big firearms are difficult to keep hidden and with the wrong body type and/or holster, they're all but impossible to discreetly carry. There's a reason all these small pistols are the biggest sellers, even when they give up capacity and/or 'better' ballistics.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
All I have to add is the note that some of the SWAT teams that adopted the P90 have since dropped it from use.

The Military Arms Channel did a test of the commercially available ammunition against a...IIA vest?...been a while since I saw it, but I think it was IIA. Three different loads I believe he looked at.

Since most of us don't have access to pre-ban ammunition, WrongRecroom, I don't consider that relevant to considering it for carry.

Pluses to me would be it's flat-shooting, light recoil, light weight for its size IIRC, and you get more rounds in a mag in most cases, though not many more--3 to 5 extra vs. most of the common full-size pistols I can bring to mind now.

Minuses would be based on reports of lack of reliability in stopping bad guys compared to more common rounds, less of a range of choices in ammunition, less availability (it's all around but not as much all around as other calibers) and higher price, and the pistol is too bulky for some to carry with good concealment. The commercially-available ammunition is not as good against armor as some would have you believe it is, either.

For the pistol itself I'm not fond of the placement of the safety but that's not a deal-breaker.

If you carry one you still need to be able to go high or low in response to armor or bomb vests regardless.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
I think the 5.7 would probably be better suited for a PDW/AR type pistol role than a CCW. That is just my seat of the pants feeling because there is very little data out there as to real life shootings with the round. I would imagine the results would be similar to a .22 mag out of a longer barreled firearm. Just my thoughts from the peanut gallery!:wave:

Reactions: DHart

·
Registered
822 Posts
Not really applicable to the OP's question, but I do agree with the statement as I carry the FNS compact and love the pistol.
I saw that there were multiple posts on reasons not to get the 5.7, so I figured I would throw out a better option.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
It is certainly a very fun gun to shoot with - sort of as the Kel-Tec PMR30 is, even though different calibers, they have a similar feel. I view it somewhat as I view the PMR30: more of a novelty/fun-gun than a serious contender for defense use. There are a great many better choices for defense caliber/pistol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
CDRGlock,
I have concealed carried my FN Five seveN for a number of years. Considered deep concealment, I carry it in an undershirt with an elastic band to secure it, located under my left armpit. These concealed carry T-shirts are available commercially on the internet. They run $40-$50 apiece, so they are not inexpensive. However, the T-shirts do a good job securing the pistol and provided I do not wear tight clothing, imprinting is not a problem. I have complete confidence in the 5.7 round. The low recoil insures that I can accurately place multiple rounds on target in a very short time frame. As previously stated, the pistol is indeed quite light in weight even when fully loaded with 20 +1 rounds. I have at times forgotten that I was even carrying. Admittedly, attempting to wear this pistol around the waist does present a problem as it is more difficult to conceal in that location.

This weapon is ideal for people who may have a disability which precludes them from carrying and firing heavier and larger calibers. Their arm strength may not permit the use of a heavier recoiling firearm.

A hit from this pistol is better than a miss with a larger one, which a disabled person may not be capable of firing accurately and/or keeping on target. Yes, bigger may be better but only if it can be used effectively.

Though rather expensive to purchase, the Five seveN is indeed worthy of consideration for concealed carry.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Why, I wonder, is any sort of armor piercing even a topic for a CCW? How many of you buy armor piercing 9mm, .380, or whatever you tote? Why is this gun the only gun that the A.P. ammo, or lack thereof, become a viable feature on forums? What difference does it make to someone looking to protect themselves from the common threats?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Why, I wonder, is any sort of armor piercing even a topic for a CCW? How many of you buy armor piercing 9mm, .380, or whatever you tote? Why is this gun the only gun that the A.P. ammo, or lack thereof, become a viable feature on forums? What difference does it make to someone looking to protect themselves from the common threats?

Just wondering.

If you look more and more commen street thug are wearing armor now

I point here to the case in TX back in the late 90s ..Guy shoot and killed his ex wife in front of court house in TX ..Man with CCW got off a hit in the 10 ring ..And was then killed as the perp had body armor ...

Yes the chance are not high but it does happen

And fyi it is a bigger deal with this as the AP ammo for this is easier to find then the old 9mm AP that is out there as most of it is from the 1950s ..

Would I carry AP ammo proble not ..As a backup mag maybe ...There has been at least one case in AZ where the bad guy had on armor ( they were caught trying to buy guns with a false ID as I remember )

·
Registered
207 Posts

Just wondering.
From a poster here:
"When I was in patrol I personally put the handcuffs on 10 home invasion suspects. 50% of them were wearing soft body armor. Body armor is a REAL threat these days, and more and more bad guys are wearing it. My AR15 will make swiss cheese of these bad guys body armor, while your pistol rounds bounce off and do nothing."

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...98522-pistol-rifle-bedroom-3.html#post5154122

Seems high to me, but even if it were half that percentage, it would be a lot to worry about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts