Defensive Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got an STG58 a few weeks ago. Great gun, but I'm having an issue with a new magazine I got yesterday.

Every 4-5 shots, it produces a failure to eject, then closes the bolt on the expended round, but the bolt carrier does not close all the way. It stays open about a half inch.

My plan is to replace the follower and spring with one from a working magazine. Then at least I'll know if it's the body or spring or whatever isn't working right.

Anyone else here ever heard of this problem?

·
Registered
304 Posts
As a possible alternative to magazine issues:

Is it possible that you have the gas turned down two low and that is causing a weak ejection?

Never had magazine issues, but I have had failure to ejects when the gas regulator is letting too much escape. When I had the gas regulator just on the edge of enough, it would kick out the brass about 6 feet, but would have an extraction or feed failure every 4 or 5 rounds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's set at 2, and works perfect with the other 4 magazines I have. It's just this one. I could play with it next time at the range and see if it's any combination of settings and a finicky magazine.

·
Registered
304 Posts
nah, 2 should be fine. Also that the other mags work (I see you had hinted at that in the original thread) blows that idea out of the water.

Good luck, I would be interested to hear the resolution if you come up with one. Even if it is just selling the trouble magazine and replacing it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll let you know. I'll go to the range tomorrow, and replace it part by part, spring, follower, and body. If one of those solves it, hopefully it just means replacing a $2 spring or a $4 follower, not the whole $20 magazine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All metric mags, and all surplus. Very good condition surplus. I've looked over the thing time and time again looking for dents and such. I think the real test will be when I trade out parts, and maybe then I can at least narrow down what I'm looking for.

Edit: I just took that one apart and one good one. I can't see ANY difference on any part! They both look like two perfect magazines. I know it must be that one though, all the other 4 work just fine.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Even if it is only with the one mag, I would still turn the gas up a notch and see if it still happens. Failure to eject doesn't sound like a magazine problem no matter how you figure it IMO.

Austin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, that's one way to fix it... sort of.
I took it to the range today, and it worked fine. I ran about 50 rounds through it the first time, checking and rechecking to see if I had done something wrong. Today it worked great.

I'll still keep my eye on it, not sure if I trust it completely yet.

I didn't think such a problem would have been caused by a mag either, but the other 4 magazines worked just fine, and just this one had the issue. Kind of a moot point now though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.