1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have owned a L1A1 for years now. I have modified it somewhat for my purposes. I have shot MOA with it out to 300yds.(probably could at 4 with different scope) I use handloaded Sierra 190gr. BTHP's. The weapon seems to like the heavier bullets. It is one of the better designed weapons of all times IMO.---------

·
Registered
862 Posts
Id still rather have an Enfield Jungle Carbine.

This spring I saw a original MK.V Lee Enfield for sale. I was going to trade my Lica rangefinder for it, but could not find the Warranty card. I searched everywhere for a week, I eventually assumed my ex-girlfriend threw it out. I eventually found it. The next day I went directly to the gunshop. Just in time to see Andy handing it across the counter to sell to someone. That has to be one of the most sad moments in my life :frown: .

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That Greg is sad indeed! Keep scouting tho - I got mine from SOG, J&G or similar - at not too bad a price - it is a great gun to have and shoot. I use corrosive mil surp ammo - but hey - having shot one round and dirtied the gun - I usually go ahead and shoot another 100 or 200 LOL! Makes cleaning more - ''justified''! :wink:

The L1A1 tho also is nice - I have that and a metric FAL - love 'em.

RSSZ - interesting re the heavy bullet - would not have thought to exceed 165's. So, without me checking right now - what is std twist then on our guns? I am assuming maybe a bit tighter than I might have thought if 190's do so well. I'd certainly never expect to achieve consistent MOA on either of mine - but then I only shoot Port', SA or Aus' milsurp stuff.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My particular weapon has a 1:10 twist. Most are either 10 or 12. Very few,and some aftermarket bbls are 1:11. My weapon will not shoot the 155 Palma up through the 162-165's. It starts gettin' good at the 175's. I have every .308 bullet that Sierra makes so will try the 200's next. The 220's up thru the 240's will be tooooo long I suspect. If your ever out Sierra's way(Sedalia,Missouri) they will sell you any of their bullets by the pound. Just take in a container and say"fill er up". Back in them daze I was shooting a hellova lot of competition so I went through allot of bullets. ---------PS Some bullets will shoot better at the longer ranges than the shorter ones simply because the bullet needs time to "go to sleep"(stabilize) -----

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
P95, I used this weapon for years to shoot counter sniper, HRT, competition with, at the closer(300m and under) ranges. I needed multiple quick shots for that competition. My L1A1 would shoot right with some of the very good M1A's/M14's out there. I came very close to whoopin' a HK/PSG1 once. (the $6k version) The shooter was having a bad day and when I got close to him he overcame my jokes and beat me.--------

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for the info - looks like I just might do some handloads and see what I can squeeze out at longer ranges.

Have to get me some heavier pills just to see!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
P95, 10-4. If you discover
that any of them 190's on up will shoot for you, let me know,I have them by the K's. Also I have lots of the 168's.(all are Sierra Matchking)---------

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx - tho initially my challenge will be to try and find some heavies locally, so no shipping to pay.

I'll keep a lookout tho and see what I find - may take a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts