Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am looking for a striker fired gun with a manual safety for carry. Supposedly the P320sc's are coming with manual safeties in the next few months for MA compliance.

My primary handgun for range/HD is a CZ SP-01 Tactical. I'm leaning toward the Rami or P-01, but I am still strongly considering going with a striker fired subcompact with a safety. I had a few people share their preference of having a consistent trigger pull for concealed carry and I do think it's a valid point.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the M&P or the FNS. The P320c I shot is indeed my favorite striker fired gun. If the safety model were already out I probably would not be asking this question, but I want to get your input on these 3 carry guns.

FWIW, if I do go with a striker fired gun I want a manual safety. Preferably one that is large enough and easy to manipulate like a 1911 safety.

Any input on these 3 guns would be great. Reliability is my #1 concern with any carry gun. I'm having trouble finding the M&P9c and FNS9C to rent but I can rent their full-size models.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The Sig 320C seemed top heavy to me... I know nuthin about the FNS9C ....if you want a safety Id lean toward the S&W9C

Myself I like Glocks ... But if I switched Platforms , I'd go with Smith 1st & ..Walther 2nd , & Springfield Croatian 3rd

I'm very impressed with the Smiths

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I own the M&P9c, fired the FNS9c, and held the P320.

The P320 has the nicest trigger of them all, and it's restrike capable. It has the best grip texture out of the box and the oval grip is quite ergonomic. However, it's the thickest and tallest of the three, which matters a lot when you carry. The bore axis is also the highest, so it will flip more.

The FNS9 compact has a very nice trigger, slightly better than Glock's. The ergo is decent but nothing to write home about, it's blocky and is the worst among the three. The safety is small and essentially snag free, but it's fully functional. Size wise it's basically the same as the M&P9c and smaller than the SIG.

The M&P9c has the worst trigger out of the box, clocking at a full 6.5 lb. It's perfectly serviceable for a carry gun that's going to be used in a white knuckle situation, but at the range your accuracy will suffer until you spent several hundred times pulling the trigger. I put an Apex spring kit in mine (like most serious people who own M&P semis) and now it's comparable to the rest. The ergo is the best out of the three, as it comes with 3 different palm-swelled backstraps. One of them is bound to fit your hand nicely. If you want 1911-style safety, the M&P is for you. When I was new I liked the humongous ambidextrous safety, but as I grew comfortable with it I didn't need them big ears anymore. Fortunately the safety can be very easily removed by disassembling the gun, and S&W even sells the plastic plugs to fill the holes neatly. Removing the safety is not possible with the FNS9, not easily anyway.

As far as accuracy between the FNS and M&P, I shoot the M&P better even with factory trigger. Your miles may vary.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I carry the M&P9c. I've got at least 2000 rounds through it never had a ftf, fte, or any other hick up. I still have the stock trigger. I bought a G19 gen4 thinking I'd replace the M&P but I found I shot the M&P better. I'd get faster and tighter groups with it. I don't have experience with the other two pistols you asked about. I can tell you I love my M&P.

·
Registered
107 Posts
These posts are always in the YMMV type category of responses, but still fun to answer. Of course all 3 guns are good choices and you can't go wrong any way you choose.

For me, the clear winner is the P320C (not the SC or CC). The C is the compact, which is surprisingly not much bigger than the SC. The total length is about 1/4" longer and the total height is about 1/4-1/2" higher than the SC. I have large hands, and the extra height gives my pinky a place to rest, which it does not have on the SC. I found that I needed a thicker grip on the SC to compensate for that homeless pinky, but didn't need a thicker grip on the C.

All the P320 versions feel front heavy to me, but I actually enjoyed that on the range. The slides were very easy for me to rack and release with a single hand, and I have weak wrists. The trigger was super crisp with a short reset. I love that trigger. The only one that beats it is my Walther PPQ M2. The ergos were the best of these 3 choices as well. Just an overall great gun that felt pretty good in the hand and shot really well.

I haven't fired the other two guns, but I've handled them.

The FNS-9C was "meh" for me. I hated the grip texture. The sights were great and rack/release was okay. Trigger was good. A good gun that just didn't shine for me, personally.

The M&P9C was love and hate combined. The ergos are nice with good sights and a pleasant feeling grip. I could rack the slide single handed, but not release it single handed. The trigger was poor to me. Maybe I'm spoiled by my Walther, but the M&P trigger felt gritty. I've read that smooths out with use though.

Happy hunting and make sure to take pics of your new Sig. LOL

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The P320 compact is not in the same class as the FNS and M&P compacts, it has 15-round mag capacity in 9mm, which puts it in the Glock 19 class (also a 15 rounder).

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had all three at one point. I found that size wise the M&P9c and the FNS9c are almost exactly the same size. I wanted to like the FNS9c but just couldn't, mine was an early gun that for some reason was not as accurate as I thought it would be. I still have the P320 compact, so, in order.. #1 P320C followed by the M&P and last the FNS9c. I had no trouble with any of the guns mechanically and only sold the M&P9c because I wanted something a bit smaller and lighter. I bought a Shield as an EDC. The Sig as of now has no manual safety, I find it a little big for my carry needs but it is accurate and comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I prefer the p320 over the other too. My wife carrys a apex equipped m&p9c that she likes and a fns was one of the models I rented along with a p30 and p320 . I bought the p320 . 15 round mags with x grip make for a nice full grip if needed . I have no interest in a longer trigger pull on most striker fired pistol with a safety . The pistols are plenty safe as they are . Not going to go boom with out a pull of the trigger .

Sig p320 trigger is not light . Feels far better than it really is heavier than most think with an average pull weight of around 7lbsbrand new , 6.5lb after 500 rounds . Been the same since . Trigger take up tends to be around 5lb and 1.5lb extra to fire for a 7lb pull . Accuracy is far ahead of the M&P and seems to be a better shooter than a FNS also considering so few rounds fired in those two .

All of your choice's will serve well as a defensive pistol as they come with out a safey . Safety is in your head and finger . Reholster S L O W L Y ,

Sig p320 is thinner than a fns glock or m&p with a slide width of 1.06/07 Grip can be wider or thin . Small is 1.10 wide . It is heavier than a m&p but very close to a fns .

Need a thinner pistol look at a shield , kahr , ruger , 1911 ultra LW with thin grips , cdx-2 , and a few others .

·
Registered
226 Posts
Since you asked, I'll play. I own 14 striker fired polymer handguns and have owned several others that I let go after some use.

Smith M&P: Three of those I let go were two Smith M&Ps and a Smith Shield. Not bad guns just not as good as others I owned. I would mark the M&P compact off your list first thing.

Sig P320: I have a Sig P320 compact which I like enough to fix three problems with it, including shooting way high and the trigger giving me a bloody pinch blister in less than a box of ammo. Others have reported the same things. The P320 is in a transition stage as Sig makes running adjustments to the slide catch lever, take down lever and trigger. The ones I have seen recently on local shelves have a mixture of the new and old for these three parts.

The 320 compact looks blocky but actually feels decent in the hand and shoots well. It's grip angle is more vertical than most handguns. It does have a high bore which bothers some people but doesn't bother me. It has a very good trigger, better than any Glock I have ever owned or shot. It isn't in the same league as a Walther PPQ or H&K VP9 although to be fair few strikers are. To my knowledge the 320 is not available with a manual safety.

I like my 320 compact but I don't like the feel of the 320SC at all. It does feel top heavy and the grip is poor. I've tried repeatedly to warm up to it but just can't. I would never buy one.

FNS-9: I have an FNS-9 full size and an FNS-9 compact which are excellent guns. They both have a 1911-like feel to me and feel better in my hand than any Glock or Sig. The factory night sights on both are excellent and better than the factory night sights on my Sig 320 during the daylight. The triggers on my FNS-9s are somewhat Glock-like but only somewhat. During dry fire, when it is most noticeable, when the Glock trigger breaks the shot it looks and feels like a staple gun going off. The FNS trigger is smoother, calmer and grit free. Again, not as good as a PPQ or VP9 but, better than the other strikers I own including the Sig 320.

Examining the two FNS-9 and the Sig 320 side by side in my hands the FN handguns just feels like better quality products. I like the 320 and plan to keep it but, it doesn't give me the same feeling of quality as the FNS. Purely subjective on my part and another person may have the opposite opinion.

OP, of the three choices on your list I would discount the Smith immediately. Compared to the other two guns the only thing the M&P compact has going for itself is its very good ergonomics. The Sig 320 SC has little of the good qualities of the 320 compact as the basic 320 design just didn't downsize well in my opinion. The FNS compact has good ergonomics, sights, trigger and quality build. It is available in blue or stainless slide and with or without a manual safety. If I could keep only five of my polymer strikers the FNS compact would be one of them, even ahead of the FNS full size.

Just my opinion. Other posters may differ and that's okay. Their opinions are just as good as mine but, not any better.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
All good guns. I carry a FNS9 compact and love it. Didn't care for the m&p compacts trigger and haven't shot the 320 but heard good things.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
9C for me...I just like the ergo's of those guns...and they shoot great, also.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the M&P compact, and am not that crazy about it. I just don't shoot it very well.

I handled the FNS at the NRA show in Louisville. I liked it.

Dry fired the Sig once at Cabela's. Nice trigger.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll chime in - I've rented the Sig and FNS9c at my range and own my m&p9c. When comparing the three bone stock, I thought the FNS had the trigger that Smith and Wesson wish they had. I didn't care for the Sig and in the end I sided with keeping my Smith. I was previously switching between my Glock 19 and 26 (both gen4) prior to owning the 9c but after a few trips to the range I sold both of them after seeing how much better I could handle and shoot with my 9c. With the extra cash I Apex'd it and bought some good range and SD ammo, putting a little away for that Shield 45 purchase later on :) My honest opinion would be Smith #1, FNS9c #2, Sig320 #3. First thing you should do with the 9c though is get the DCAEK or FSS kit with either an aluminum or polymer trigger. In the end the cost will come out to what you would have paid for either of the other two, but you will have a better shooting and more ergonomic gun, which is why I kept mine and sold the Glocks.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Flip a coin (twice!). The realistic differences are PURELY subjective between those alternatives. If you are unable to decide which one fits, feels, shoots best for YOU? Then let random-chance decide. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I own the M&P9c and the P320sc. For me, the ergonomics and the trigger on the M&P just aren't there. It IS a pretty good shooter, but I just don't feel like the grip fits my hand, so I don't feel like I have good control. It is about to head back to the gun store for shop credit, or as a trade in on another P320. If it fits YOUR hand though.... there is no reason you should stay away from it. It is still a very nice and reliable handgun.

I bought the P320sc yesterday and I am super happy with it. I have medium hands... short fingers... typically wear a Large Cadet in golf gloves. The 320sc grip feels like it was made for me. I get a solid two finger grip, and my pinky rests tightly underneath. I shot the full size P320 and the subcompact side by side at the range yesterday and was amazed that I shot the subcompact better! Maybe it was the little bit more snap, but the sights just returned to the target extremely quickly on the sc. There was no noticeable difference in group sizes between the two shooting slow fire and medium speed. I didn't have time yesterday to move on to rapid fire drills, but with the quick sight return I think I'll be really happy with the sc. I plan to order the x-grips for the extra ammo and to get the pinky back on the grip, but as of yet I'm not sure that I will like it any better. The P320sc is actually riding shotgun in the front pocket of my dress khaki's as we speak!

If you really want a thumb safety though... the Sig 938, the M&P9c and the M&P Shield are pretty much your really good options.

Just as a side note...

For the fun of it, I also threw the Full size slide on the subcompact. It made it noticeably nose heavy... but it shot really nice! I can't see a situation where it would be useful, but it was really cool that you CAN do it.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I've shot the FNS9C. It is a very nice firearm. I didn't mind their aggressive grip pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts