Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one or shoot one? How do you like it?
The LGS is bringing in an FN rep this weekend and they are giving one away. Only this location for the two days whoever demos one and talks to the rep. I'm thinking about going since there's a decent chance of winning. At least More of a chance than some online giveaway.
It would be great if I won. It would fit nicely in my small selection of handguns.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I carry one daily and love the pistol. Very accurate with a good trigger IMO. It has a heavy pull before the break, but the break is clean with a very short and positive reset. The pistol has a low bore axis similar to a glock and feels good to shoot. I like the fact that it has a stainless slide to resist corrosion and a hammer forged barrel. The gun is very high quality for a good price. The sights are nice with the front dot being enlarged to help pick it up. I think it's an extra $50 on the msrp to get the night sights which are made by trijicon. The gun is also fully ambidextrous.

There are only two gripes I have for the pistol. First being the rear sights are sloped so racking the slide on a belt or boot is next to impossible and the other is the magazine release is very low profile and you have to really depress it to get it out. Part of the problem lies in the facts that when pressing the release the other side tends to push against my hand holding it back. So slightly adjusting your grip during reloads helps.

I think it's a very good pistol and very underrated or overlooked. FNH makes good firearms and this is no exception IMHO.

20160208_215353.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a full size FNS-9 and liked it so much I bought the FNS-9 compact. LeanHard has already mentioned some good points about the handgun.

I like the grip angle and trigger a lot. The trigger is a pivoting one which I prefer over the bladed one like on a Glock. The triggers on my two FNS are identical and are excellent, only bowing to my PPQs and VP9s. I even like it better than my P320 which also has a most excellent trigger. The recoil does come straight back into my hand and the grip angle makes it more comfortable than my Glocks. Size-wise the FNS-9 compact is comparable to my P99 compact and the FNS holds two more rounds.

Both full size and compact models come with a manual safety or without one, the choice is yours. The good solid steel sights come with white three dot or with tritium night sights, again the choice is yours.

I put Talon grips on both mine as I don't much care for the molded in stippling. Others like it very much so it is a personal choice. I use Talons on several other handguns also.

We are all different but I prefer the sloped front of the sight as it slides into and out of the holster well. I don't much like the ones with a shelf for "racking" as I don't use or practice such a thing. I agree that the magazine release on the compact is a bit too low profile. The full size FNS has a high profile mag release and is about the easiest button mag release I have ever used. From what I have read, the low profile release on the compact was a deliberate decision by FN. I think it is about the only poor decision they made on the gun.

The FNS series of guns are well made and solid shooters. I would give up a lot of my gun collection before I gave up either of the FNS-9s.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have a full size FNS-9 and liked it so much I bought the FNS-9 compact. LeanHard has already mentioned some good points about the handgun.

I like the grip angle and trigger a lot. The trigger is a pivoting one which I prefer over the bladed one like on a Glock. The triggers on my two FNS are identical and are excellent, only bowing to my PPQs and VP9s. I even like it better than my P320 which also has a most excellent trigger. The recoil does come straight back into my hand and the grip angle makes it more comfortable than my Glocks. Size-wise the FNS-9 compact is comparable to my P99 compact and the FNS holds two more rounds.

Both full size and compact models come with a manual safety or without one, the choice is yours. The good solid steel sights come with white three dot or with tritium night sights, again the choice is yours.

I put Talon grips on both mine as I don't much care for the molded in stippling. Others like it very much so it is a personal choice. I use Talons on several other handguns also.

We are all different but I prefer the sloped front of the sight as it slides into and out of the holster well. I don't much like the ones with a shelf for "racking" as I don't use or practice such a thing. I agree that the magazine release on the compact is a bit too low profile. The full size FNS has a high profile mag release and is about the easiest button mag release I have ever used. From what I have read, the low profile release on the compact was a deliberate decision by FN. I think it is about the only poor decision they made on the gun.

The FNS series of guns are well made and solid shooters. I would give up a lot of my gun collection before I gave up either of the FNS-9s.
I agree with the talon grips. I run them on my FNS now and they work as advertised. I'm on the lookout for a replacement full size magazine release. I know they're compatible, I just can't find one. I might just call FNH USA and ask if it's possible to order one.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. I did handle one the other day and it does feel like it would be a nice shooter. I agree with the mag release. Maybe there's an aftermarket or something you could do to make it protrude a little more?
Either way. It seems like a great gun. I sure hope I win it, but with my luck, I'll just be wasting gas and time. Oh well. I'll get to shoot it for free at least.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree with the talon grips. I run them on my FNS now and they work as advertised. I'm on the lookout for a replacement full size magazine release. I know they're compatible, I just can't find one. I might just call FNH USA and ask if it's possible to order one.
Over at the FNS forum there have been a few people who replace the FNS compact mag release with the full size mag release and say it works well. There is a thread or two over there with some info on it. I meant to order one this week but it's been busy and I haven't yet done so. Midwest Gun Works carries some FNS parts but are presently out of the full size mag release.

MGW: Search

Supposedly the FN Pro Shop in Columbia sells them also.

FN Pro Shop telephone: 803-748-2521

Don't buy the last one as I need one also.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I found a standard FNS mag release button @ Midwest Gun Works. Solves the mag release issue. Easy to change out too.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Excellent gun ,comes with three mags too
made in USA,good trigger but slightly heavy IMO with no trick parts to make it
4# trigger like it should be.. Serrated sights are sweet too,I own one in fullsize 40 and
its really made well..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Loving the 2 FNS pistols I have. Both are long slide in 40 and 9mm. I had a 40c and I agree with the mag release being too small. The full size mag release is a delight. I sold the 40c only because there is a lack of holster molds for it and I am working on carrying my full size FNS LS in an appendix carry kydex rig. This is my most favorite gun I have ever had in 9mm. The compact version in 9mm is on my wish list.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I didn't win, but I did shoot the FNS 9c. I'm glad I did because I found out that I didn't actually like one particular part of it. With the short mag in (I didn't notice with the full size), my pinky came around and up just enough to have it get pinched between the mag base and the grip. Bummer. I really wanted to like it, but that would probably be a deal breaker for me. Other than that, it shot great, felt great. Didn't like the mag release but that's something you could live with or fix.
I think I will have to put a Ruger SR9c back at the top of my list.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh.... and the stippling or whatever you want to call it, IS very aggressive. Probably wouldn't want to shoot it a lot. Or maybe that's just my accountant hands. Haha...

·
Registered
368 Posts
The SR9c is excellent. I bought the SR40c first and enjoyed it so much that I went out and got the SR9c. But then again I'm a Ruger fan anyway.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
If I won an FNS9C, I'd carry it. Nice firearm ( Shot ten rounds through a Demo last year)

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Oh.... and the stippling or whatever you want to call it, IS very aggressive. Probably wouldn't want to shoot it a lot. Or maybe that's just my accountant hands. Haha...
I personally want aggressive texturing on my edc firearm.
Under extreme conditions I want it to stay firmly in my grip.
I can wear a glove at the range if necessary.

And addressing the pinky pinch issue, did you get a chance to try
the 12rd mag w/ the extension? It would alleviate the pinch and only
marginally increase the length of the grip frame while concealed.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's actually the magazine that pinched. I didn't try the flush fit base.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I personally prefer the flush fit for concealed carry.
The way my fingers fall on the mag plate gives me a very
secure grip.

Good luck in your continued search.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My wife and I have carried the FNS9C for over a year. I like the 'same issue' philosophy. I expected her to want a smaller pistol but she wanted the 9c the minute she held it. I think the aggressive grip is the best thing going for it myself but she uses the Talon stickers. Its a do all type of pistol. Small and easy to carry but big enough to feel like it is serious enough for 'battle' situations. Swap out to the full size mag and its a nightstand gun. We share mags having a couple of full size ones in her purse and the SUV. Neither one of us has even tried the flush mag plate, always swapping them out for the pinky extension. Reliability has been 100% for well over a thousand rounds combined. My Sig's started refusing to eat winchester white box and I tried them in the FN's that ate them like a raped ape.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts