Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have this firearm or experience with it? Ive read reviews and its an intriguing handgun. No Im not replacing my SR9c, but If I didnt have it already I might purchase this baby. :image035:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I fondled one after I bought my Ruger SR9c and 40c. Just from the feel I would buy one. For me it has a similar comfortable feel like my Rugers.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I used to own one, they are outstanding firearms. I wish I kept the one I had. FN makes great firearms, their CS department has room for improvement though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've never owned one, the few I've picked up and played with did not impress me. but those were when they were brand new and selling for more than Springfield XDMs, I've seen some on sale for as low as $400 which I think is a more appropriate price point given the fit and finish. if I could find one, I would be more than happy to give one a test drive but I don't think there's anything amazing about them that places them ahead of Rugers, Springfield XDs, S&W M&Ps, and other similarly priced models, other than name brand bragging rights...

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
It is one of the two pistols I carry the most.
The choice of a pistol is a subjective thing, but for me
it works well.
I like the aggressive texture of the grip, the 3 magazines it comes with, the metal night sights,
the CHF barrel, the ambi controls.
I find a compact double stack as easy to conceal as most single stacks, so I go with the increased capacity.
And I do think FNH makes a good product.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
A local dealer had several a couple years ago and I regret not buying one as he had them for a reasonable price. He had the compacts and the full size in 9mm and 40 S&W. Felt like a very solid pistol.

·
Registered
233 Posts
After branching out from my "Glock-only" buying habits, the first striker fired guns I bought were the FNS-9 full sized and the M&P 9 full sized. I still have the FNS and it is one of my favorite auto loading handguns.

About a year ago I bought the FNS-9 compact. Since that FNS full sized purchase I've owned and/or shot a number of polymer framed strikers including the 10-round double stacks. I like the FNS-9 better than any of the double stacks which hold less than 15-rounds. The grip angle, ergonomics and trigger are also better than any Glock I've owned over the last 20 years. It comes with three magazines and I bought mine with the excellent steel night sights. The standard sights are also steel. It holds 12 rounds instead of the more standard 10 rounds. Out of the box the gun needs nothing additional especially if you like the aggressive grip texture. I did not, but a set of Talons easily took care of that. I run Talons on most of my polymer framed guns.

The FNS compact is smaller than 15 round strikers and just plain feels solid in the hand. Recoil comes straight back due to the excellent design. I prefer the stainless slide on the FNS but others might like the black version. As far as fit and finish, I doubt anyone could say that an XD or Ruger has a better fit and finish. My VP9 and PPQs have a more shiny black finish if you like shiny, but not better fitting.

I'm not brand loyal to any manufacturer and these are the only two FN handguns I've ever owned. But, FN got the FNS compact and full size right. On my list of favorite polymer framed striker fired handguns only my VP9 and PPQs beat the FNS. And that by only a very slim margin. And neither the VP or PPQ are yet made in a compact version like the FNS.

This is the opinion of one, but it is one who actually owns and shoots the FNS compact a lot. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The FNS-9 is what I carry and Love it! It just fits my hand better than any other gun I've shot. Zero problems to date with it, other than finding model specific holsters at local stores, but plenty to choose from online.

·
Registered
490 Posts
FNS9c is a nice looking and feeling pistol. I shot one at FN dealer day at a LGS. It was nothing special. One thing I didn't like was it pinched my pinky finger between the grip and mag base.

·
Registered
426 Posts
FN Holster and Mags.jpg

I have been shooting one for about five months. It has been a really good gun. Trigger was a little gritty but it has smoothed out nicely and reset is short.

I have been shooting it in IDPA CCP Division. Only problem I have is the mags are slower to drop as the heel of my hand is in the way. Still working on it.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I like them. The size, between a G26 and G19 is great for carry in my opinion. Hickok45 seemed to really like the one he reviewed, putting it up there with the new generation of great strikers like the 320 and PPQ that have nice triggers,sights, and comfortable grips.

If I did not have a 320, I would buy the FNS9c.

It is also made right here in South Carolina.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My wife and I have shot ours so much I've lost the round count, but neither one has had a hiccup. They eat anything, the cheaper the better being very accurate with walmarts cheapest Federal aluminum FMJ. Wife picked the FNS9C out over smaller arms and carries it without issue.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Have had my FNS9C for over a year now. One of the best firearms I have ever owned. Great quality and not one issue in about 500 rounds or so. It is my EDC for winter months.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had mine for a little more than 2 years. I've shot it twice in Brownie's threat focused shooting course (which I highly recommend). In the first course I was shooting Fiocchi 115gr. FMJ. It ran through about 5-600 rounds with no problem, then started giving me random ftfs and ftes. Those continued through the remainder of the course, despite a cleaning after day 1. That is the only ammo problem I've experienced, it eats everything else I feed it with no problems. This year I shot 124 gr. Federal FMJ. I had no problems whatsoever. The pistol was flawless. Overall, I'd say it's an excellent choice for an edc pistol, very accurate, great trigger, very reliable with all ammo except Fiocchi and good ergonomics. If I had any issues, they would be with the mag release, which I have trouble operating quickly because of arthritis in my thumbs which makes it difficult to press the release button, but I have that problem with all semi-autos, although perhaps to a slightly greater degree with the fns9c. To show you what the pistol can do, here is a photo of my review target from this year's class. All shots were made without reference to the sights, from 3 different shooting positions, shooting as fast as I could shoot. I'd guess distances ranged from 2-5 yards.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts