·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Yes sir! Not cool.

This is one of the many reasons why I carry IWB and I don't sport a Fobus or anything like it.

In the defense of the holster the video would not be acurate in most cases as the rig would be concealed. Out in the open IMO is asking for something like that to happen.

Ti.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Reminds you to always be aware of your surroundings, you never know who will make you and try to take your piece.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Everyone has their own idea's on this. We tried to take a Fobus apart at the local gun shop. We couldn't do it! I'm not saying that you can't, but that particular holster was pretty tough.....

Now if we put it in a vise :smile:

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
Let Me Get Back On My SoapBox

If you own a Fobus paddle holster...shoot bullets at it and go buy yourself a real concealed carry holster.
Buy a holster from any one of our forum member makers & you will be so much happier. It will be money very well spent.
And....as an added bonus you won't look like you have a giant black plastic tumor growing out of your midsection.

It is also possible to be running and you can bump or catch your holster on any solid obstruction and it will shear the holster right off the paddle and you'll be gun less. I know this for a fact.

Just my opinion that the ONLY thing they have going for them is that they are cheap...and that ain't sayin' very much positive.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have several fobus holsters, they're great for carrying around the range. They are cheap, and they make them to fit just about anything. I have one for just about every handgun I own (all that they make one for, anyway). It's an easy on/easy off firearm 'holder' for range use. They work perfectly for this purpose.

I can't imagine using one for CCW. Aside from the retention problems, you'd have to be wearing a trench coat to conceal it!

·
Registered
502 Posts
soonerjh said:
wow, that looked too easy! wonder if they set that up? I dont have a spare one to try it!

I sacrificed my Fobus paddle during a retention drill.

My "attacker" ripped it right the hell off me in about two seconds.

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
Ok Ok

Let me change that.
For the range...go buy one because they are cheap.
Or...buy one to "open carry" with it in your house...because they are cheap.

For serious Concealed Carry & "life in the real world" they are horrible.:gah:

Just my opinion on that.

Feel free to disagree.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Well I guess the vid was set up yes but it does show how a rotational force applied briskly will almost for sure separate holster from paddle.

I used one early on for P95 - but soon upgraded to better things. So old rig rarely used but would suffice for range duty.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Bud White said:
wouldn't play for me

Oldie but goodie. Here's a summary:

Dude has Fobus OWB on.

Friend runs up and with a violent and decisive motion literally snaps the holster body from the paddle platform, taking with it the weapon in said holster.

If I remember correctly, it took about a second to rip the holster in half.

Practicality of that actually happening in real life: You have a better chance of turning gay. I am so sure someone would let someone get that close to their weapon, armed sheep or not.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Re the Vid...That's EXACTLY what I tell Customers about those types of products.....Fobus/Mikes types......you REALLY want it?? buy it.. then watch somebody grab your weapon when you least expect it!
I always explain to them about all their options and try to get them to purchase a quality holster, to hold the weapon more securly, and if they feel the holster is ........well what they exactly want........well.....you know the drill........just my .02 worth..

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The thought that someone is going to grab your concealed Fobus holster and rip it off is foolish, and just something that some instructors like to do to show their expertise.

First, how does one know that you are even wearing a gun?
Second, what do they think you will be doing while they are grabbing? Some folks carry a knife and it would do a lot of damage to anyone grabbing the holster.

I have used Fobus paddles for at least 6 or 7 years. I like them for a range holster and also sometimes carry one when I am in a hurry.
They do not come off easily, and if someone grabbed at mine I would put a fist in his nose. Since the word is CONCEALED I do not think that will ever be a problem.

I also have holsters by Brommeland, DelFattai, Sparks, Andrews, and Kramer. But I still like my Fobus paddles at times.

I might add that in the years that I have had them I have easily drawn from them 30,000 times with no problems.

Jerry

·
Registered
502 Posts
JerryM said:
if someone grabbed at mine I would put a fist in his nose.
...and they would end up with your gun.

Mine was not ripped off at the paddle, it was ripped right in half down the outer peiece of plastic. The rivets held, the plastic failed.

The conclusion is that IF someone got their hand on your gun while it was in a fobus paddle, they could pretty easily get it away from you.

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
I have not liked Fobus for Concealed Carry...way before any "Snatch Video" was produced.
No comments about that Snatch Video terminology folks. :biggrin2:

I can only say that it's sure not anything that I personally would ever consider for a carry holster.

We live in America though so anybody can buy one and use it if they have a mind to.
Luckily, we all can still choose our own personal holsters.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
It is interesting all the scenarios some come up with.

Does anyone anywhere know of a single instance where someone ran up to a person carrying concealed and grabbed his gun or holster? EVEN One instance? NO, because no one knows you are carrying. It is not hard to spin while holding the gun and hitting or cutting with your off hand.

Same for carrying several reloads. Does anyone know of a single instance where a CHL holder ran out of ammo and needed a reload?

I guess instructors need something to show what they know. I realize that if a semi-auto malfunctioned a second mag might be useful, but I suspect it would be over before you had time to do a clear and reload.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
JerryM said:
Does anyone know of a single instance where a CHL holder ran out of ammo and needed a reload?

Yes. A user on another forum used deadly force against four attackers with an OACP 1911 and had to reload between BGs 3 and 4 to continue to stop threats BG 3 and BG 4. Shots went: 2+1 on BG 1, 2+1 on BG 2, headshot on BG 3, reload, 2 to BG 4, 2 to BG 3, headshot on BG 4. Twelve shots four down. Total cost of defense was $36,000 or $3000 per shot. Said user carried a 6+1 1911 and two 6 shot mags. After stopping threats, said user executed a tactical reload and then threw up.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I sure would like to see a newspaper clipping or something similar as I frankly doubt it. Maybe, but that sounds like some security or LE situation rather than a CHL holder.

Anyway, I wonder how many here would be wearing a concealed gun, let someone run up to you and try to grab the gun that he did not know was there. If we let someone run up to us and start a scuffle it is already a bad situation, and would probably already be knifed or clubbed. That is the reason that I think the emphasis on the Fobus is not realistic in any manner.

If you have some sort of official reference to the gunfight I would appreciate it. Very few could win in a gun battle against 3 or 4 BGs if they were armed.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
i have a " stepson" who is a new officer carrying in a fobus paddle off duty , ill make shure he sees the vid since i havnt been impressed with them anyway lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts