1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, to followup on my story yesterday, I had 2 problems:

1. NOT situationally aware.

2. My gun was not chambered.

So, I have read all about the dos and donts of chamber vs not. Seen Utube videos of how it takes just 1 or 2 seconds to chamber the gun. Yes, if its chambered, then your ready. But in practice.....I live in a middle class area. Not going to bad places, daytime and people seem ok. With all this in mind, what do you people recommend? DO YOU ALWAYS carry chambered in real life? And if so, are you ever afraid of Accidental discharge? Shooting urself?

THANKS for the feedback!:smiley2:

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
Most carry one in the tube or cocked & locked.
Except me.
Unless I am going into an area or place where I normally don't go.
Anyone that pops up on me & shoves a gun in my face is going to blow my brains out if I don't move my hands anywhere but up...I figure.
That doesn't mean that I gave up.
Now if I were going to the OK Corral....... Chambered &/or cocked & locked.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
My Glock G17 Ain't no PAPER WEIGHT Always CONDITION ONE !

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Premium Member
8,356 Posts
Hi guys, to followup on my story yesterday, I had 2 problems:

1. NOT situationally aware.

2. My gun was not chambered.

So, I have read all about the dos and donts of chamber vs not. Seen Utube videos of how it takes just 1 or 2 seconds to chamber the gun. Yes, if its chambered, then your ready. But in practice.....I live in a middle class area. Not going to bad places, daytime and people seem ok. With all this in mind, what do you people recommend? DO YOU ALWAYS carry chambered in real life? And if so, are you ever afraid of Accidental discharge? Shooting urself?

THANKS for the feedback!:smiley2:
Always chambered when carrying. I don't carry to protect myself when I go to dangerous places, I carry to protect myself when danger comes to me. See the difference?

·
Premium Member
8,356 Posts
Most carry one in the tube or cocked & locked.
Except me.
Unless I am going into an area or place where I normally don't go.
Anyone that pops up on me & shoves a gun in my face is going to blow my brains out if I don't move my hands anywhere but up...I figure.
That doesn't mean that I gave up.
Now if I were going to the OK Corral....... Chambered &/or cocked & locked.
Not following. Why disadvantage yourself in a dangerous situation? If someone has the drop on you, they have the drop, but that does not mean you won't have an opportunity.

·
Registered
281 Posts
90% of 3000 people that voted said yes in that poll and from my real life exp talking with friends that also carry you could probably use those numbers +/- with all CCers
I AM one of those 90%
with my weapon in the holster it CANNOT go off. if i keep my finger or other objects off the trigger....it no go bang ;)

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I carry for the same reason that I always buckle up every time I ride in a motor vehicle. You never know when you'll need it, and most likely you'll need it when you don't expect it.

Chamber one when you think you'll need it? Does that mean you unload when you're in a "safe" area?

Get more training, practice and don't go cheap on your equipment. It's only your life on the line.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Not following. Why disadvantage yourself in a dangerous situation? If someone has the drop on you, they have the drop, but that does not mean you won't have an opportunity.
Many videos on how to disarm a person who pulls a gun on you within arms length. Basic H2H stuff.

·
Banned
144 Posts
I carried without a round chambered the first week I started carrying. Realized that if you have a good holster and if you take care of your tool you are safe carrying with a round chambered. Plus why short yourself by not loading to capacity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
982 Posts
Most carry chambered, many don't... I usually don't.. Retired and live in a very rural, very safe, no crime area, and simply feel no need to carry with one in the pipe when mowing the lawn or Walleye fishing.
I haven't been in a big city in years, but if I were, or were in any area I was not 100% comfortable, I would carry Condition One.
I will say this.. You SHOULD get comfortable with carrying with a round chambered. However that doesn't mean you always have to carry that way.
I know in my little town several very good, highly experienced CCW guys that carry unchambered because there is simply no crime or mayhem here, and they don't see the need.. In a most rural areas, you will recognize a bad situation sooner than you would in a crowded mall or subway somewhere, where panic and confusion would cloud things.. Carry the way you feel most comfortable, but realize there are times and places where you should carry Condition One, and now would be a good time to start getting used to it... bob

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
When you need a gun you usually need it immediately and immediately is not the time to be trying to load the damn thing. Carry chambered. If you're unable to bring yourself to do it get some training and lots of range time, and become familiar and comfortable with your weapon.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Carrying without a round chambered ASSUMEs one will have both hands free at the time. Not always possible with children in tow, groceries in arms, dog on a leash, bad guy has your hand/arm, or worse yet, you are wounded.
Another thought, if one cannot run their gun ( load, chamber, tap-rap-bang, or handle the various falures) one handed, strong or weak, one needs to train more and/or get a gun they can. I love my Les Baer, but the barrel to slide fit is so tight I can't run it with one had. Novak style sights force me to run the slides on my other 1911's off my shoe to avoid covering myself with the muzzle. Therefore I carry an old Colt with a blade rear sight I can hook on my belt; a gun I can run.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Most carry chambered, many don't... I usually don't.. Retired and live in a very rural, very safe, no crime area, and simply feel no need to carry with one in the pipe when mowing the lawn or Walleye fishing.
I haven't been in a big city in years, but if I were, or were in any area I was not 100% comfortable, I would carry Condition One.
I will say this.. You SHOULD get comfortable with carrying with a round chambered. However that doesn't mean you always have to carry that way.
I know in my little town several very good, highly experienced CCW guys that carry unchambered because there is simply no crime or mayhem here, and they don't see the need.. In a most rural areas, you will recognize a bad situation sooner than you would in a crowded mall or subway somewhere, where panic and confusion would cloud things.. Carry the way you feel most comfortable, but realize there are times and places where you should carry Condition One, and now would be a good time to start getting used to it... bob
Sure wish I could predict when I'd need a round in the chamber and when I wouldn't. Heck, on the "don't need to chamber" days I could probably just leave the gun in the car.

There is no inconvenience or downside to a round in the chamber. It doesn't take more time, the gun isn't heavier or bigger or harder to carry, so it makes no sense to carry unprepared and that's what it comes down to - either you're prepared for the unexpected or you're not. I'll bet that the cops in your incredibly safe little town carry chambered, in spite of the lack of crime and mayhem and they do it because both usually show up unannounced.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
The only times I don't carry one in the chamber is when I'm carrying an old Colt SAA or its copies. I mostly pocket carry in a holster, when I take the gun out it's still holstered. A holstered gun is as safe as they get! DR

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Sorry, chambered here.
It's your decision, but train how you carry.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts