Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the knowledge and backgrounds of all LEO's on this page, are any of you familiar with the legal ramifications of justifiably defending yourself with deadly force as a civilian? Even when the situation was deemed necessary for deadly force for a CC. In terms of court and trials, would having a CC insurance benifit? Or do most situations where a cc holder had to use deadly force end at the scene with no court appearances and trials? Reason why I'm asking I know a work colleague who had carried for many years, a tour in Iraq under giant belt and doesn't have any cc insurance, and when speaking to him he didn't think it was necessary. Is that due to the fact he has a military background and if the situation had every risen that he needed to use his firearm that his bachground would be of use in the aftermath of a lethal force encounter? As a civilian with no military experience would it behoove me to get a cc insurance, and if so what are the top insurances out there?

·
Banned
2,462 Posts
I feel like knowing the laws and defending yourself within those laws is far more important than insurance. Insurance isn't going to help you if you defended yourself unlawfully. Insurance might be good in states where you can be sued, even if the shoot was deemed good, and you have a lot of assets. But even then, you need to know what the insurance policy covers and doesn't cover. JMO of course.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
IMO most of those so-called CCW insurance plans are rip-offs and in reality cover next to nothing. In my experience a LEO (active or retired) will be held to a higher standard than an average citizen and will have more legal hoops to jump through in a trial (civil or criminal). What comes into play more than anything, in a justified shooting, is the political climate, news media, and unfortunately race. Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Welcome to the best gun=related forum around.. Personally, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If we could get a 100% honest opinion from all that's on this forum, I'll betcha those that carry CCW insurance are in the minority, by a long shot. Probably in the neighborhood of 2 to 4%. But then again, most of us do not live in Chicago. If I did, then I'd probably be shopping for insurance. Good luck in your endeavors.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DAV LIFE MEMBER
USAF RETIRED

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I've heard both stances on insurance. It's a waste of money, it's worth the money. Knowing the laws of the state I do agree is the most important action someone can undergo for sure!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm a 2%'er

Welcome to the best gun=related forum around.. Personally, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If we could get a 100% honest opinion from all that's on this forum, I'll betcha those that carry CCW insurance are in the minority, by a long shot. Probably in the neighborhood of 2 to 4%. But then again, most of us do not live in Chicago. If I did, then I'd probably be shopping for insurance. Good luck in your endeavors.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DAV LIFE MEMBER
USAF RETIRED

Reactions: Militant and DZUS

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Being sued by the BG or his family when the victim has been found to have acted justifiably or excusably is very rare in my state. I asked a county commonwealth's attorney and a man running for sheriff of that county this very question about six years ago and both of them said that they don't know of any such cases in Virginia. Granted, they don't know all of the cases involving a victim using deadly force against an attacker but let's face it... they're pretty much up on things. Along with these two men was an attorney who definitely would be privy to such information and he also remarked that this was extremely rare in our state.

Still, I do have insurance to cover my assets in the event something like the Zimmerman/Martin case happens to me. I am not a fan of losing most of my property and financial holdings to some maggot or their family who threatened me with serious bodily harm, or worse.

Reactions: Militant

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Something to consider is insurance cannot be written to cover criminal acts so in terms of 'courts and trials' you could only be talking about civil matters otherwise you're putting up the money yourself if you're being charged criminally. And, in all reality, if you're being charged criminally, there's a good chance you're guilty, so insurance is probably the least of your worries.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yeah I've heard both stances on insurance. It's a waste of money, it's worth the money. Knowing the laws of the state I do agree is the most important action someone can undergo for sure!
It's ALWAYS a waste of money... until you need it. ;)

I am reminded of the first shooting here from someone with a CCW. I think it was 2001, a man walked into the nearby Walmart while another man at the Deli was repeatedly stabbing his girlfriend that worked behind the counter. The man with the CCW yelled at the man to drop the knife but he ignored him and started to stab her again. The man with the CCW shot him dead.
He was never charged with a crime but the girlfriend was enraged that he shot her boyfirend and either she or the vic's family sued him in civil court. I heard he lost his house and retirement and that may have been just attorney fees, he may have won the suit. I don't know if having any kiind of insurance would have prevented this or not. I have CCW safe because they "Supposedly" will send an attorney immediatley if you are involved in a shooting or even brandishing or assualt charges. Will they send the best? Probalby not, but it's not like I would know who to pick here. Many civil suits would be dropped I would think if the vic's attorney knows there will be a fight and not just settle out of court.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am a US Law Shield member . Very reasonable $$$ to have a lawyer available if needed . Probably never use it , but I look at it like a reverse lottery ticket .It might save me a lot of both "time" and money if my luck is bad . Worth the $$$ for peace of mind .

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
A number of states have self defense immunity laws. Some protect better than others. 10 states including my own, Missouri provide immunity protection for both criminal and civil liability.

Illinois isn't one of them.

I don't carry any CCW insurance and would not even if my state did not have a good immunity law to keep me from getting sued in civil court after a good SD shooting. I don't trust insurance agents any more than I trust judges in very restrictive states such as Il. I'm willing to assume the risk. The odds that I'll be involved in a shooting are probably less than being in a plane crash. I don't take out flight insurance either.

Here is a pretty good reference regarding self defense immunity laws: Self-Defense Immunity Laws | Some States Protect More

Reactions: Instymp

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
With the knowledge and backgrounds of all LEO's on this page, are any of you familiar with the legal ramifications of justifiably defending yourself with deadly force as a civilian? Even when the situation was deemed necessary for deadly force for a CC. In terms of court and trials, would having a CC insurance benifit? Or do most situations where a cc holder had to use deadly force end at the scene with no court appearances and trials? Reason why I'm asking I know a work colleague who had carried for many years, a tour in Iraq under giant belt and doesn't have any cc insurance, and when speaking to him he didn't think it was necessary. Is that due to the fact he has a military background and if the situation had every risen that he needed to use his firearm that his bachground would be of use in the aftermath of a lethal force encounter? As a civilian with no military experience would it behoove me to get a cc insurance, and if so what are the top insurances out there?
You can find any opinion you are looking for here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/search.php?searchid=7915314

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
865 Posts
I am constantly on the fence on whether to buy a Pre-Paid Legal Service for CCW. I will say though that if I would, I would choose CCW Safe.

I definitely think that knowing the various laws, etc. is extremely important when using a firearm for self defense and you must make good split second decisions.

If you stay out of conflict situations and if you use your gun as the very last resort the chances of needing a Pre-Paid Legal Service is extremely small.

On the other hand I don't want to risk the possibility of loosing my financial well being so the $129 annual cost for CCW Safe would provide comfort to me.

Reactions: Rainsong

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I have the NRA sponsored policy for $50k in coverage. Both Ohio and Florida have immunity laws for SD shootings. That said for $165/year and it covers your spouse I have it.

COVERAGE
Personal Firearms Liability $250,000 Combined Single Limit Bodily Injury & Property Damage
Each Occurrence
Self Defense Coverage $250,000 Civil Damages and Liability
$50,000 Criminal Defense Reimbursement

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Insurance is probably the biggest racket of our time.

Personally I can't afford to pay for a service that might help me in the highly unlikely event that I get involved in a shooting.
And that as a matter of company policy, will search every detail in order to deny you compensation if possible and if not possible, deny you several times anyway in the hopes that you will be confused by the small print or legal mumbo jumbo and eventually give up.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
And that as a matter of company policy, will search every detail in order to deny you compensation if possible and if not possible, deny you several times anyway in the hopes that you will be confused by the small print or legal mumbo jumbo and eventually give up.
^^^^^THIS, exactly!^^^^^ Can I get an Amen?

I had an acquaintance who worked as an adjuster for a major insurance company and he told me straight out that that his job was to find a way to deny the claim. I have a sister who is going through this right now due to a drunk driver hitting her legally parked car. They are using every trick in their book to avoid paying. She will prevail in the end but it is still a major nuisance.

As for CCW insurance, be certain to read and understand the fine print.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Provided you have decent common sense and reason, you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than having to use your gun. CC insurance is snake oil, as is most insurance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Statistically, you're tens to hundreds of times more likely to be charged with crimes that don't involve the justifiable use of lethal force...

To me, that would be like buying homeowners insurance that covers fire damage and nothing else...And they still won't be likely to want to pay off if they believe that you started the fire.

As for civil suits, I think that holding major assets in trusts and/or corporate enties is your best protection against devastating financial loss

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts