Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from women that concealed carry purses work well for carrying but not so well as a purse. Plus they are not very fashionable. It seems to me that a product that allowed a woman to use any purse they already have as a carry option would be a winner. Is this accurate? What features/options would you like to see offered by this product?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have heard from women that concealed carry purses work well for carrying but not so well as a purse. Plus they are not very fashionable. It seems to me that a product that allowed a woman to use any purse they already have as a carry option would be a winner. Is this accurate? What features/options would you like to see offered by this product?
My wife has a Crossbreed Purse Defender that does exactly that. Works really well too. Can't just leave your purse in the grocery buggies though.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I'm curious how this will go. My first wife was a purse carrier. that was 35 years ago, before I had ever seen a dedicated gun purse. I used to make her cardboard dividers that her holster would clip on to and hold the holster up right. It also kept everything else in her purse away from the gun. Purses have gotten smaller over the years, and dedicated purses have a separate pocket for their guns. I'm curious what you will make that will make good , safe, and quick access and not interfere with the rest of the purse? My wife is interested in starting to carry when we leave CA. She is another that is a purse carrier. DR

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
If you google "concealed carry purse", you'll be able to look at pictures.

I'm not a woman, and I don't observe purse fashion, but they look ok to me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm not a woman and I don't carry a purse. But since I find off the body carry options for men to be terrible (they either look like something my grandfather would've used in 1985, or are so overly tactical looking as to be silly) I generally buy what I like and adapt it. Usually that takes about 5 minutes, an inexpensive holster, and 3-4 safety pins or glue backed velcro. I got the idea from knowing women who do that with their purses, instead of buying purses that are made for concealed carry.

So, I'm going to suggest that the "product that allowed a woman to use any purse they already have as a carry option" is likely a cheap holster, velcro and safety pins. I've always used the cloth pocket holsters or nylon IWB holsters with a metal clip that you can get on Ebay for $7-10. Never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
I'm not fashionable and I do NOT carry off body. I carry on body all the time everywhere it is legal, except when sleeping at night or taking a shower. But welcome to the form.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
When necessary I usually carry my wife on my back. Wait, what was the question?

OK, If you don't go dedicated carry purse you need a purse with a pocket accessible from the outside to hold the firearm. And the gun, and only the gun go in that pocket. Find a holster you can stitch or velcro in, or have one custom made large enough that it does not come out when you draw the gun. The holster does several things. Mainly it covers he trigger (safety) and keep the gun oriented to draw (accessible in a hurry). Luckily for my wife, I make holsters. When she got tired of her CC purse I made a holster for a purse she picked out. It's not difficult, but you can't really do it without having the purse in hand either.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My wife has a Crossbreed Purse Defender that does exactly that. Works really well too. Can't just leave your purse in the grocery buggies though.
my mom does not carry, but to keep her purse while food shopping, she uses the "seatbelt" thingy in the cart to "lock" here bag in there.
sure not 100% but will slow down a gab and run crook. hard to run while dragging a metal cart.

for safety (any safety) always think in lawyer.

got knife?
got belt holsterw/gun?
got ankle gun?
got brain in gear?
eyes open?
friends with you?
where is a safe area?
the exits?
etc,
etc.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've walked past many a table at gun shows that had concealed carry purses complete with all of the over-the-top bling common in today's fashion.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
When necessary I usually carry my wife on my back. Wait, what was the question?

OK, If you don't go dedicated carry purse you need a purse with a pocket accessible from the outside to hold the firearm. And the gun, and only the gun go in that pocket. Find a holster you can stitch or velcro in, or have one custom made large enough that it does not come out when you draw the gun. The holster does several things. Mainly it covers he trigger (safety) and keep the gun oriented to draw (accessible in a hurry). Luckily for my wife, I make holsters. When she got tired of her CC purse I made a holster for a purse she picked out. It's not difficult, but you can't really do it without having the purse in hand either.
You beat me to it. I was going to ask do you carry a woman concealed or open?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts