Defensive Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since Uncle Mikes / Michaels of Oregon holsters have been around. I have been a fan. They were cheap in price and would hold up to play. But the past 5 years, I have seen them go up in price continually. So they aren't that cheap anymore....
Enter Protech. They are Alabama grown. They prob been around a year. They are inexpensive to own and are just as well made (or better) as uncle mikes / michaels of oregon. :hand10:
Check'em out... http://www.protechoutdoors.com/

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
In fact Art I have two Protech ankle rigs - one of which suits my R9 rather well at times.

I do not often these days like to stray much from leather but - yes, these guys do make some reasonable products.

And hey - it's time us EST guys were in bed LOL!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After 3 months.....I'm still on California time. !!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I find it very hard for me to stray from leather - but I have heard good things about them - I'll stick to my leather fetish!! Man, I wish my wife had a leather fetish......

·
Administrator
144,509 Posts
Kevin...you're wild! :yup:

I'm sticking with high quality leather also.
I was never all that enamored with Uncle Mike's holsters.
To be fair...I've not tried anything of their holsters recently.
Their "paddle style holsters" were bad enough to chase me away forever.:gah:
Just my opinion that all they ever had going for them "advantage wise" was the low price.
The protech holsters look like they might be a bit more functional for good concealment.
I'll stay with leather though.
Why should I move backward at this point in my life?

·
Banned
151 Posts
Leather moving?

QKShooter said:
Kevin...you're wild! :yup:
<snip>
I'll stay with leather though.
Why should I move backward at this point in my life?
So how is not sticking with leather in holsters moving backward? Leather is nice but leather in holsters sure is not the direction that modern holsters are moving.

It's the non-leather holsters that are moving forward.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
HappyGunner said:
So how is not sticking with leather in holsters moving backward? Leather is nice but leather in holsters sure is not the direction that modern holsters are moving.

Yes, with the tactical mall ninjas! :wave:

I like leather best.

Ti.

·
Registered
737 Posts
HappyGunner said:
That's because leather holsters have been perfected and thus don't need to change. :image035:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yeah, those uncle mikes paddles are medieval torture devices....

·
Administrator
144,509 Posts
The Uncle Mike's Paddle.
I dunno...some people LOVE them so...I guess that just proves that I don't know as much as I think I do about holsters...either that...or they don't. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I prefer leather also, but I do have uncle mikes and protech kydex and fobus polymer.

·
Administrator
144,509 Posts
That's OK with me.

Fobus must be selling holsters and I guess that Uncle Mike's is selling them also...or they would both be out of business by now.

It's just my personal opinion that there are other better holsters available for serious everyday concealed carry.

It's not my obligation or my desire to decide what exact type holster any other person should carry their firearm in.
That is (of course) their own personal decision...as it should be.

Anybody can always feel perfectly free to disregard my opinion or any other personal opinion.
We all should cut our own path through this world. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am definitely looking to leather for my compact 1911, however, I carry my Sig232 in a Protech and it is fairly comfortable. :biggrin2:

The metal clip on the Protech is super tight and sometimes gives me fits.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
this new para 12.45 LDA will require a nice leather holster. And I know just the guy to call... :smile:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I use a cheap KNJ holster for my G19. It looks a lot like the "Intimidator", but it doesn’t have an extra mag pocket, and the retention strap is Velcro.

But it fits like a glove, and is very confortable.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Leather for me.
But fobus paddles are nice and fast to put on and off.
I use them,and a lot of other officers use them just for that
reason-off duty only.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For those that haven't looked at the FOBUS hard polymer paddle holsters. It is molded for several different models. When you holster the weapon, to fully secure it you will hear a snap when its all the way in. Its very snug. You have to pull it out of the holster straight up. It will not come out if pulled from the side, such as if a BG were to reach out and try to snatch it out. I have one for my Taurus 85. With its small frame and snubby barrel, it holds well.
My uncle has one for his Taurus 24/7, and it holds extremely tight. Thats due to size of the gun, which has alot more mass to hang on to than the snubby.
The paddle is not overly large and I find it comfy, yet I know its there. It holds well to my belt, yet I don't have a designed belt that supports the extra weight and pull. I guess I had better get one.
Anyhoo... for small potato's you get alot of holster. my .02 :hand10:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts