Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an XDs. It is my 1st .45, and I need help picking the best ammo for self defense. I tend to believe the heavier bullet might be more effective, but I am not sure. Any particular brand or type that might perform better? These 2 are the only ones I have found on-line currently.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Either bullet will provide great defensive qualities. By the way, Springfield Armory makes greast handguns...good choice and great caliber.

I carry Golden Sabers 230 grain in .45 and 180 Grain in .40 cal.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
407 Posts
i have federal hydroshok 230 grainers loaded in my glock 21. id go with the 230gr if i were you.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Any of the premium self defense rounds from the major ammo makers will get the job done. My personal preference runs heavy for caliber, so it's 230 grain for me.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
As another member would say:

"When in doubt, go heavy".

I see no reason to dispute that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i run 230 speer gold dot when i can find them and 220 hornady crit duty when i cant.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The 180 grain bullet will deliver more ft pounds of energy due to higher velocity. That is my choice. Bigger is not always better.

·
Registered
36,869 Posts
If you put them where it matters, either should do the job, but my preference is heavier bullets. They've worked so well for so long.

Reactions: USM1976

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I would think either would work for you and I think it would be a good idea to look for some buffalo bore or corbon ammo. Double tap ammo has even better ballistics but might be a long wait. Right now I have the federal hydro-shock in my 10mm and they shoot very well. I am still waiting on ammo from double tap hopefully it will ship soon.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
The 180 grain bullet will deliver more ft pounds of energy due to higher velocity. That is my choice. Bigger is not always better.
Tell me--what wounding effect does a foot-pound cause?

Put another way--If you have two rounds, both penetrating to 13" and expanding to .70, but one does it with 350 ft/lbs, and the other with 400...how is the one with more energy more damaging?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Pocket Guns and Gear: Springfield XDs Carry Ammo Testing

Take a look at this. I think this is extremely compelling.
I came back around and retested the two I thought were best. I ended up buying a bunch of the Federal because it was available and I think it was a couple bucks cheaper per box at the time. Very happy with either one.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Gel Terminal Testing Winchester Ranger 45 Auto +P 230 Grain T-Series

Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Gel Terminal Testing Federal Premium 45 Auto 230 Grain HST

·
Registered
206 Posts
Tell me--what wounding effect does a foot-pound cause?

Put another way--If you have two rounds, both penetrating to 13" and expanding to .70, but one does it with 350 ft/lbs, and the other with 400...how is the one with more energy more damaging?
The higher energy hits with more force, causing temporary trauma. The wound channel may be similar, but it could have a difference on "stopping power".

More energy is better in this case. If not, why would there be +p rounds available?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Temporary cavity has no wounding effect in most service handgun calibers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Temporary cavity has no wounding effect in most service handgun calibers.
I am not an expert in this subject, but energy does play some role. While it may to have anywhere near as much to contribute to the stop as expansion and penetration, it is relevant.

If you don't think so, talk the differences in performance between the .357SIG and 9mm.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Because simple concepts like KE is what appeals to the masses. It is purely marketing and nothing more.
If this is purely marketing and nothing more, then please explain the performance differences between the .357 Mag and .38 Special so I'll understand better.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts