Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual of arms may be a factor, but for pocket carry, is a safety a must? Some guns are available with or without, some only with or only without. If you had a choice, for example, S&W Bodyguard, would you go safety or no safety?

Thoughts all the way around?

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I think safeties are OK if you learn and practice releasing them, but personally I do not have a safety on my EDC. I only pocket carry in my coat pocket, and I do that rarely. I use a pocket hose for that carrying. I would never pocket carry a gun that had no safety without it being in a holster. I would not do it if the gun had q safety, but my point is if you have no safety have a holster, and if you have no safety you do not have to spend time learning and practicing removing the safety while drawing. By the way, removing the safety while drawing from a pocket, holster or not, is not as simple as doing it from a holster IWB or OWB. So I vote for no safety but with a holster.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Manual of arms may be a factor, but for pocket carry, is a safety a must? Some guns are available with or without, some only with or only without. If you had a choice, for example, S&W Bodyguard, would you go safety or no safety?

Understand here that I am not advocating the BG 380, or any other platform.

But you must get this from the beginning so that you will make the right choice the first time; for you!

A pistol with a heavy DA trigger pull, like a revolver does not need now, or has ever, ever needed a safety. Small autos like the Kel Tecs and the S&W BG have those types of heavier triggers.

With striker fired guns, which have a much easier trigger pull, you need to take care and choose a holster that resists collapses when engaged in activities that include more than walking and sitting to protect that trigger.

Same with a SA design, although it has a safety, the trigger should be protected.

So , since my BG has a trigger that is very similar to a DA revolver, I have no need for a safety.

·
Registered
Various
15,485 Posts
My primary carry is a 1911 with a grip safety and a thumb safety. My pocket carry is usually a Sig P938 with a thumb safety and the same manual of arms as my primary. I prefer a safety on a pocket pistol as long as it is the same manual of arms as my primary. A safety in another position or in an opposite direction is a big no for me. Sometimes I carry a revolver as a primary or secondary gun.

·
Registered
487 Posts

I only carry my Kahr CW380 in the pocket, and I always use a kydex pocket holster from Vedder when I do that. The Kahr has an interesting trigger - it's long like a DA, but is not as heavy (6-7lbs). I don't mind that it has no safety as long as it's inside a kydex holster that completely covers the trigger guard.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My personal experience includes accessing my pistol and finding that its safety lever had been moved to "off" by the action of my clothing.
Therefore, when I began to carry a pocket pistol, my choice was DAO with no safety. The specific gun was an AMT .45 Backup.

My wife's choice, probably influenced by her instructor (me), is also a pocket-size DAO with no safety lever. Hers is a Kel-Tec P-3AT.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
I've carried my P938 with a safety but only because that's what was available that fit my pockets well. When I obtain a P365 that will become my pocket gun and it will not have a safety.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It would depend on the gun. I don't pocket carry, but I would have no problem carrying my LCP without a safety.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I have the LCPII -- basically a SA action w/ no safety. You better believe I'm gonna carry it in a Kydex holster, pocket or IWB either one. I do have a leather back pocket wallet holster for it, but the leather is as stiff as Kydex. Complete trigger coverage on all of them.

Same trigger pull weight w/ no safety as carrying a Glock. You gonna carry a Glock without a good holster? I doan theenk so....

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
My LCP has a long very deliberate pull and therefore IMO doesn't require a safety. I agree w/ G-Man DA revolvers and autos really don't need it, IMO. I also 100% agree that there should always be a proper pocket holster utilized and NEVER carry anything else in that pocket! Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
@10thmtn got it before me. The BG is my pocket carry choice in a DeSantis Nemesis. However, for all the great things about the BG, the safety is one thing that is more like an after thought. It is small and not easy to disengage. Therefore, I always carry it in that little holster with the safety off. As 10thmtn says, the trigger pull is long and fairly robust - like a good revolver, so I don't worry about it.

My BG has an aftermarket trigger, but it is still pretty long you'd really have to work to pull it. Inside the holster you probably couldn't ever do it.

BTW...I have no safety on my PF-9's either and they sometimes draw pocket duty.

·
Registered
639 Posts
For what it's worth,I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 in a front pocket holster because it was the smallest and lightest pistol I could find. It's striker fired with no big sights or an exposed hammer to snag on your pocket.and I keep it loaded with personal self defense ammo.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I pocket carry my 938 and my fishing gun is my LCP, so I guess I do both. Completely comfortable with both but I have good holsters for them. I would never pocket carry any gun without a holster. Regardless of the safety factor, a gun would tear up pockets pretty quickly.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts

I have zero hesitancy carrying a pistol without a safety in a pocket holster. First and foremost, nothing else goes in that pocket other than the pistol and the holster. Secondly, since most will agree the most dangerous thing we do is re-holstering, and I never re-holster in the pocket itself, I see no significant cause for concern in carrying a pistol like a Glock 43 or a Sig P365 in my pocket. I just can't see any reason not to do so.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Only gun I have ever pocket carried does not have a safety.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
@10thmtnIt is small and not easy to disengage.
I actually really like the BG380 safety for exactly that reason - it will not engage accidentally in my pocket, but I can switch it on when I'm reholstering, then off for carry.

IMO, if you are going to put a safety on a DAO gun (probly not needed, I agree), the BG380's safety is about perfect.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts