Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering perhaps hard chroming a couple of my babies some day. I like the look of a satin or matte hard chrome finish (not shiny pimp style), and it protects the gun well and basically never wears out, is highly scratch resistant, etc.

Anyone ever had this done?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Robar Np3

Euclidean said:
I'm considering perhaps hard chroming a couple of my babies some day. I like the look of a satin or matte hard chrome finish (not shiny pimp style), and it protects the gun well and basically never wears out, is highly scratch resistant, etc.

Anyone ever had this done?
ROBAR NP3 EXACTLY what you describe. Best of all, it is self lubricating and that makes clean up a snap.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
IIRC the success of chroming is in the prep'. Multiple Ni layers on a totally prep'd substrate - then a generous time in Cr bath to gain a good thickness.

It is IMO something that must cost to be done properly. Ex mentions Robar and by all accounts this is probably one of the best. Nothing worse than flaking chrome!!

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I would also check out Metaloy Industries. They do a suburb job. I love the finish.

I had my custom 1911 done in that finish originally and after I had the Kaboom, Rock River convinced me to have their proprietary 'Body Coat" done. Although a good finish, I'm going back to Metaloy. Below is a pic of my 1911 with the Metaloy finish.

http://www.originalmetaloy.com/

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
That looks a beautiful satin finish Bob - just as I would choose - no bright bling - just nice slightly muted statement! :smilez:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts