Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been much of a flashlight guy. Even in the woods I've got no issue with walking around in the dark, maybe its my good eye site, I don't know. But I've recently been on this preparedness kick. So I'm kind of looking for something small, can go on my belt, I'll likely use it as more of a here I am kind of thing. Probably for when I go hunting or camping, but may semi edc it at one point or another.

So what are my options?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just picked up an Ultrafire WF-502B for $12 on Amazon. Including the battery, spare, and charger it came in under $30 for the brightest flashlight I've seen in its size.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
... looking for something small, can go on my belt
So, what size/weight does "small" mean to you?

Are you stuck on one or two different choices in battery types, or does it not really matter?

Willing to build your own (from LED+body+battery parts) or strictly off-the-shelf?

$Budget?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I sort of has a thing for flashlights - from $3 ones at the parts counter to a $60 I'm getting ready to buy from Lowes, 500 lumes!

I have a Terralux 220 and a redline...both pretty nice and both about 30 buck... I also just ordered a Surefire G2 but I'm not sure why, seems over priced!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I am a Fenix guy they are all I use. Check out the LD12 for a great AA light. I keep a PD20 on my key chain and is with me all the time. I am slowly trying to move away from CR123 lights because the batteries are expensive and will be hard to find if SHTF but they do put out some serious lums. My advice is to buy quality lights even if you have to spend a bit more. YMMV

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, what size/weight does "small" mean to you?

Are you stuck on one or two different choices in battery types, or does it not really matter?

Willing to build your own (from LED+body+battery parts) or strictly off-the-shelf?

$Budget?
2-3" long x anything under 1"
AA is preferable
Strictly off the shelf
under $50

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the ideas everyone, I have a lot of research to do now on everything that was mentioned. I appreciate every ones input.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with Burns, the mag lite xl-50 is VERY useful. Extremely bright and long range. I was honestly shocked at how nice it is. I went back to target the next day and picked up another.

I have a detached garage that is a few feet off of a neighbors wooden privacy fence. I shined it down there from about 40 feet away and it was darn near daylight.

It's small and it has a "low" setting if you double click that is still plenty bright ad conserves batteries. But if you need to torch something you can with a single click.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
If you're interested in the build-your-own approach, here's a combination to consider. I've got a few of these. Very useful. Compact enough to fit easily onto a belt holster. Bright enough and solid enough for SD use. Can easily swap in a different LED module for different uses: ie, the bright one for daily/SD use, and the low-voltage and long-lasting one for camping/outdoor. No need to have several different lights. Just pop in the LED and battery you want, and you're set. Works very well.

Malkoff M61 series LED module -- drops into a suitable host tube. Add a battery, and you're set. With the "standard" module, the light output is impressive, extremely good quality of light, great focus/sharpness of the cone. With a low-voltage LED module chosen (ie, for longer-term camping/outdoor stuff), one cell can last for weeks of "normal" use at a campsite. Heavily built, durable, survivable. Doesn't overheat or "go bad" with long usage. Exceptional.

SolarForce L2 host, for the 18650 Li-Ion cell -- takes the M61 LED module nicely.

AW 18650 Li-Ion battery -- Provides a fairly long charge.

Charger.

About the only thing I'd prefer would be to have it be waterproof. But I've had them out in the weather and (so long as I didn't drop them into puddles) they've behaved very well. One setup is about $14 for the body, $60 for the LED, $20ea for the battery cells (one or two per host, depending on length of host purchased), plus the charger (~$25 or so). Not exactly a "budget" setup, but it'll last you years without fail.

Don't want to go the DIY route? Check out Fenix, JetBeam, or the solid stand-by SureFire. For some smaller options, check out FourSevens.

Some vendor sources for products that I've used in the past include BatteryJunction.com Batteries, Battery Chargers, Flashlights, Solar Products & more!, LightHound.

Want to "go blind" researching all of the alternatives out there? Here's the place: CandlePowerForums.com.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I should mention that I'm a bit of a flashlight junkie. Maybe even worse than guns. I keep catching myself pulling out the mag lite 50 every night just to shine it outside. My wife just shakes her head at me like I'm a preteen.

No idea why ultra bright things excite me.

Also, the xl-50 has a sweet strobe light if you triple click :)

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I'm a fan of Fenix lights. I have the PD30 and O light.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've never been much of a flashlight guy. Even in the woods I've got no issue with walking around in the dark, maybe its my good eye site, I don't know. But I've recently been on this preparedness kick. So I'm kind of looking for something small, can go on my belt, I'll likely use it as more of a here I am kind of thing. Probably for when I go hunting or camping, but may semi edc it at one point or another.

So what are my options?
Buy the best, it'll be the last one you buy and the best one you've ever had. Surefire E2D Defender. Batteries last forever.
saa.

SureFire E2D LED Defender Compact Flashlight

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Fenix...

:hand15:

·
Registered
407 Posts
go to rigidindustries.com.... theirs a rigid halo 800 lumens li-ion flashlight. its small comes with a rechargeble battery and car charger and has 3 modes, high med low strobe and sos. its about 110$. its hands down best and brightest flashlight i have seen. i have a mag light that holds 3 d batterys and it blows that thing outa the water. the spot lights that cops have mounted on their cars its as bright as those no kidding. i use it for home defense along with my glock 23!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The best, toughest and more pricey flashlights on the market are made by Surefire. In your specific case, I think that the Surefire EB1 Backup would be a perfect choice, as it is a compact dual output LED flashlight with a brilliant high output of 200 lumens for identifying threats or overwhelming the sight of an attacker and a low output of 5 lumens with an extended runtime of 40 hours for more day-to-day tasks like reading a map, inside a tent, etc.. This flashlight would be perfect for you to use as an EDC or to take out for camping. This light sells for approximately $150. If you want something a bit cheaper but similar to this model in terms of output and quality, check out the Surefire G2X Pro Dual Output LED flashlight that has a high output of 320 lumens and a low output of 15 lumens. This one sells for approximately $70 and the difference in price is that the Backup is made of indestructible aerospace aluminum and the G2X is made of a Nitrolon polymer body and is a bit larger in size.

If these are way out of your price range, then I suggest that you check out the Streamlight Pro Tac Tactical, the Streamlight Polytac, Fenix PD20, Fenix PD22, Fenix PD32, and the Fenix TK 15.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts