Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like sitting in the dark during a power failure, cause it's scary. So I talked to Wolfie about it and he and I decided to get matching LED lanterns and LED flashlights that really brighten things up when it gets dark. :yup:

The Lex-Pro, adjustable 1,000 lumen lanterns are both rechargeable as well as battery powered. And the diffuser equipped 1,000 lumen flashlights are AA battery powered and have several different emergency signals that can be activated.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
I have a few similar in my hurricane kit, love how much longer the LEDs last compared to the old incandescents.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I've got similar, buuuuuuut also a 20KW whole house standby generator with 500 gallons of propane in an underground tank.

Before we built our house we bought our property. The 1st year we owned our acreage there was an area wide ice storm that knocked down the power line right in front of what is now our front yard. Almost 3 weeks later, they fixed it. A gravel road with 6 houses total on it just isn't much of a priority when compared to 10s of 1000s in Kansas City.

The standby generator was put on the "new house list" right after that.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Well you are probably ahead of me in technology world. I am still using Coleman lanterns when our power goes out. A few bottles of pressurized gas can keep me running for a long time, but I really don't like using them long-term inside the house, plus it's a royal PITA to change mantles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a couple of 10-80K Mah battery packs. Most of them have an inbuilt led light. I can turn the light on my 10k Mah pack for 3 days before it drops 25%. Its great. At nights its enough to light a room, but not blind everyone. Im the sorta guy who is never without my tech, so I even have the ones with the built in AC 110v 3 prong plugs as well.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
This is my light for when the lights go out...

Reactions: Poorly and msgt/ret

·
Administrator
143,466 Posts
I have bunches of super cheap Chinese unbranded Cree flashlights that take a single AA battery.

I bought a few lots of 6 for $16.00 because...I figure that other folks are going to need light if &when the lights go out.

Cheap enough that I can either give them away or barter with them.

They are not super bright and the light has a decidedly blue tint but, they work....which is all that anybody will care about.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
We’re a little low tech right now for room illumination, relying on candles and oil lamps. I do, however have a Fenix PD35 LED 1000 lumen 6 mode flashlight running on 18650 rechargeable batteries, and I always have 4 with fresh charge. At a slightly lower lumen level, the batteries will easily run for several hours, however in typical usage you don’t run it continually. I also have several inexpensive LED lower powered lights and plenty of batteries. I would like to get a couple of top tier LED lanterns to replace the candles and oil lamps.

·
Registered
922 Posts
We've got flashlights, and two LED lanterns which burn forever on a couple of batteries.
But our main source of emergency light is oil lamps: We have three, all quite bright for what they are.
One has a reflector, which makes it good for reading.

More important up here in the Great North-Wet is heat.
We have two efficient wood stoves, and about three cords of firewood to put into them.
Three cords of wood will keep us warm all winter long, with enough left over to give us a good start for the next winter.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
CandlePowerForums

You're welcome. Errrr...... I'm sorry. Depends if you catch the flashlight bug after visiting cpf.

You'll find excuses to purchase a new light. The last one I shopped for was one that lives by the front door that I use when I take the dogs out at night. Would one of my other lights have worked? Absolutely, but I wanted one to never be by the front door when I needed it. So that's where it lives.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Can't ever have too many light sources that aren't dependent on the electrical grid. I am well armed in that regard, but I'm definitely not such an aficionado that I'd join a separate forum devoted to them.

Reactions: Chuck R.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
LED lighting is, to me, one of the great technological breakthroughs of our time. They are so much more efficient, converting more power to light rather than heat. Saves time and money in your home when you replace incandescents.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I have a couple of solar chargers for multiple kinds of batteries. I can charge almost anything from large 12V batteries down to AA/AAA, 18650's etc. Here are a couple of good products to have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBKKZ14/?coliid=I3EW0GQREGSV1I&colid=H4O83BYX9Q1J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXWCPLC/?coliid=I2IYWVA9YWMFG6&colid=H4O83BYX9Q1J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I was given a 12V solar panel that needed a controller. I've been using this excellent low-cost controller. Excellent value:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZZMDSQ/?coliid=I3SIZ5IAE5RW41&colid=H4O83BYX9Q1J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Lots of good ideas here...thanks @Misty Lu

BTW The biggest issue with solar panels and charge controllers is figuring out what you need. My system is redundant, but I have numerous devices to charge, from cell phones to tablets, to IPads, to laptops, to ham radios, to LED lights.

Reactions: Pete63 and Misty Lu

·
Premium Member
33,892 Posts
Something similar in each vehicle, another in the house light box.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts