Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't really sure where to put this hope it's ok in here...

Anyways, close to a decade ago I had a court ordered psychiatric evaluation. Long story short, someone called the courthouse and said I was a danger to myself and others and a police officer came and took me to the local hospital for a psychiatric evaluation. I never received or signed any paper work or went to court and I was released that day once they realized I was not a danger to anyone.

Now I had pretty much forgotten about this and recently received my concealed carry permit. No longer have to do the brady check but do fill out form 4473's. i recently purchased a new carry pistol and it just occured to me that it is a possibility I could have answered a question unaccurately.
Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective
(which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful
authority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your own affairs)
OR
have you ever been
committed to a mental institution?
I mean I think I am in the clear as the court order was only for an evaluation and I don't think that qualifies as a commitment, but I just wanted to get some input as this has been making me a little nervous.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Adjudicated means judged or determined the R adjudicated means judged or determined. I'm no lawyer but just because someone suggested that you were is long as you found you weren't you should be OK . I wouldn't take any advice from any for him to be the gospel I would certainly ask an attorney all I can say is if it was me I wouldn't concern myself with it. If you are committed for a period of time even if it was overnight might be a different story but based on what you've said it was pretty much a false allegation. Being that you're already have your permit and have purchased weapons I would think that means that nothing shows up on your records like I said if it was me I wouldn't worry about it but you might want to seek wiggle advice just to make sure

·
Super Moderator
16,861 Posts
You will be better served to consult an attorney, but if you were evaluated and released I would say you do not have a problem.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Adjudicated means judged or determined the R adjudicated means judged or determined. I'm no lawyer but just because someone suggested that you were is long as you found you weren't you should be OK . I wouldn't take any advice from any for him to be the gospel I would certainly ask an attorney all I can say is if it was me I wouldn't concern myself with it. If you are committed for a period of time even if it was overnight might be a different story but based on what you've said it was pretty much a false allegation. Being that you're already have your permit and have purchased weapons I would think that means that nothing shows up on your records like I said if it was me I wouldn't worry about it but you might want to seek wiggle advice just to make sure
RE: the part in Bold, It doesn't matter if it shows on your record or not. If you have been been adjudicated mentally defective or committed to a mental institution you must still answer the question truthfully or you may have perjured yourself.

From your explanation it sounds like you are good to go. If you are not certain, I'd suggest you get some genuine legal advice.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
712 Posts
RE: the part in Bold, It doesn't matter if it shows on your record or not. If you have been been adjudicated mentally defective or committed to a mental institution you must still answer the question truthfully or you may have perjured yourself.

From your explanation it sounds like you are good to go. If you are not certain, I'd suggest you get some genuine legal advice.
That's the point he wasn't adjudicated someone just made an unfounded accusations I understand that if you were adjudicated you must answer yes but he was never adjudicated or Laymans term never judged by a qualified professional To be of mental defect

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
What do the voices in your head say? :image035:

I agree with those above who feel you have no problem. You were not adjudicated, you were not committed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There are those who say anyone who owns a gun is nucking futs.

I own a couple of guns, what does that make me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I wasn't suggesting that he had been adjudicated mentally defective. Neither am I inferring deception on his part. My point is that records can be in error and therefor nothing showing up on them is not, in and of itself, proof. All I am saying that he has a legal obligation to be truthful regardless of what the records may say.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
"adjudicated" ... means ruled by a Judge, typically after a hearing. You don't seem to have been "adjudicated" by a Judge to be in need of psychiatric care and treatment, by an "order" Of the Court.

It's like when it says... were you "convicted" of a felony ... you may have charged and it dismissed or ruled you were innocent.... so no, you were NOT "convicted" of a felony.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
Everybody take a deep breath and relax.

Being evaluated in not the same as being adjucated. ADJUCATED.

ad·ju·di·cate
əˈjo͞odəˌkāt/
verb
past tense: adjudicated; past participle: adjudicated
make a formal judgment or decision about a problem or disputed matter.
"the committee adjudicates on all betting disputes"
act as a judge in a competition.
"we asked him to adjudicate at the local flower show"
synonyms: judge, try, hear, examine, arbitrate, referee, umpire; More
pronounce or declare judicially.
"he was adjudicated bankrupt"

According to the definition of the English language which some people have not properly learned, the OP is good to go.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Everybody take a deep breath and relax.

Being evaluated in not the same as being adjucated. ADJUCATED.

ad·ju·di·cate
əˈjo͞odəˌkāt/
verb
past tense: adjudicated; past participle: adjudicated
make a formal judgment or decision about a problem or disputed matter.
"the committee adjudicates on all betting disputes"
act as a judge in a competition.
"we asked him to adjudicate at the local flower show"
synonyms: judge, try, hear, examine, arbitrate, referee, umpire; More
pronounce or declare judicially.
"he was adjudicated bankrupt"

According to the definition of the English language which some people have not properly learned, the OP is good to go.
You need to throw the English Dictionary away , and use a legal dictionary.

Adjudication. The legal process of resolving a dispute. The formal giving or pronouncing of a judgment or decree in a court proceeding; also the judgment or decision given. The entry of a decree by a court in respect to the parties in a case.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Adjudication
Adjudication

The legal process of resolving a dispute. The formal giving or pronouncing of a judgment or decree in a court proceeding; also the judgment or decision given. The entry of a decree by a court in respect to the parties in a case. It implies a hearing by a court, after notice, of legal evidence on the factual issue(s) involved. The equivalent of a determination. It indicates that the claims of all the parties thereto have been considered and set at rest.

Three types of disputes are resolved through adjudication: disputes between private parties, such as individuals or corporations; disputes between private parties and public officials; and disputes between public officials or public bodies. The requirements of full adjudication include notice to all interested parties (all parties with a legal interest in, or legal right affected by, the dispute) and an opportunity for all parties to present evidence and arguments. The adjudicative process is governed by formal rules of evidence and procedure. Its objective is to reach a reasonable settlement of the controversy at hand. A decision is rendered by an impartial, passive fact finder, usually a judge, jury, or administrative tribunal. The adjudication of a controversy involves the performance of several tasks. The trier must establish the facts in controversy, and define and interpret the applicable law, or, if no relevant law exists, fashion a new law to apply to the situation. Complex evidentiary rules limit the presentation of proofs, and the Anglo-American tradition of Stare Decisis, or following precedents, controls the outcome. However, the process of applying established rules of law is neither simple nor automatic. Judges have considerable latitude in interpreting the statutes or case law upon which they base their decisions.

More @ LINK

Reactions: MAJOkie
1 - 15 of 15 Posts