Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tangle's post in the Epidemic thread got me to thinking again... and I began to realize how important physical form factor is in a firearm.

By form factor I mean the literal size and shape of the thing. I'm so picky about form factor for a carry gun. For instance I love my 686. Best shootin' gun there ever was. But I don't carry it. Form factor is all wrong.

Yet the GP100 is nearly perfect.

Can't stand the Glock, but the XD is okay.

Isn't it funny how a little thing like a rounded edge or a half inch of grip or barrel or a couple of degrees of grip angle impacts our choices?

·
Super Moderator
22,195 Posts
Mine is a de-horned 1911, no gun of caliber (that I'm aware of) is as trim and, it just fits me like no other. Also a big fan of de-horned S&W, J frames (the original size).

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
yep, All my carry guns I try to get the 1911 angle to the grip. Glocks just feel wrong to me and tend to point up with a natural point of aim. Nothing wrong with em, they are great pistols, just not for me.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
''Form factor'' is, along with manual of arms - a major factor for me too.

One reason I am so ''in love'' with my 226, or even now the 228 as well - it feels 100% to hold and shoot.

I know some folks like slimmer grips, single stackers, but for me the ''fat'' grip gives me a great deal of control, compared with some other platforms.

I am fairly content with SP and was not unhappy carrying it - even the ol' P95 with its chunky grip too - was a welcome carry piece. Now, I am not averse to 1911's - but do not carry one mainly for this reason - it feels good - but not ''as good'' - for me.

We all need to find that ''magic feel'' from our chosen platform - which is why new folks should where possible try out different examples before laying out the bucks.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Agreed Euc. I absolutely LOVE the feel of the Sig 229 in my mitts - but the manual of arms is backward for me. Also, the Colt 1911 fits me perfectly but the SA feels just a touch less natural. The only reason I can think of is Colt uses a long trigger where SA uses the older, short trigger configuration. Pretty easy fix and I can shoot either pretty well in stock configuration but, given the choice, I prefer long trigger.
Jack

·
Registered
523 Posts
If the gun dose not fit well you will not shoot it, and most likely not use it. They make one heck of a good paper weight, if you don't use them. ;-)

I like to hold on to larger things. Two way hand held radios, and handguns. That is probably why I like Glocks. All though I am a little more accurate with 1911s, and wheel guns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts