Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are currently a number of issues that are causing some minor disruptions in the forum. We thought you should know about them in case you think your computer or internet connection is having a problem.

First, there is a latency issue with posting for some people. When you are making a post and click the submit button, the action will seem to "hang". After a few seconds, you can hit the back button in your browser and refresh the page and usually see that your post did get posted, it just didn't confirm it. We were actually seeing this happen before the upgrade but thought it had been resolved. I believe this is an issue with the host and not the software, but not sure yet.

Also, you will notice that the smilies have changed some, so when posting, do a lookup on the smiliey to be sure it is the one you are wanting to post. I had to delete a number of corrupt smilies and while at it, removed a number of duplicates. Odds are your favorite smiley was a duplicate and is still there under a different name.

There has been one report of an odd error message report (Error: A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to debug? Line: 1521Error: 'null is null' or not an object) by one person that I have not been able to track down yet. It may be an issue with the new software or the way a members' computer deals with the new software. I just don't know yet. If any of you are experiencing this problem, leave me a note here.

Moderators are experiencing a number of problems which should not effect the members, but lead me to believe there are more little problems out there that have not been reported. If you notice anything that is not working normally, please post them to this thread and I will get to them as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your patience during this..... :smile:

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
As of this morning everything seems to be working now.
All of my moderator tools are working, I can sign on to the homepage with no problem.

Thanks Bumper, you are the man!!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Around 3.15 EST - did have some ''issues'' for some while. In Opera I got an alert pop up saying ''Connection refused by remote server'' - then too some pages will load real slow and not appear before - ''Failure to connect to server'' - or similar, in an otherwise blank window.

Have had several of the ''posting hangs'' - including one or more after a quick edit. Have today tidied up just a few double taps.

Between these hiccups it is running pretty fast and well.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
acparmed said:
As of this morning everything seems to be working now.
All of my moderator tools are working, I can sign on to the homepage with no problem.

Thanks Bumper, you are the man!!
Glad to hear it, Bob. I am thinking that the problem you were experiencing was a blunder on my part while poking around in the Admin CP. There are a few differences on the back end of the software, too, which is one reason some of these problems are taking awhile to resolve. When you get new features in software, they sometimes default settings to a "safe" position until the admin can manually set them. I have found several places where this changed the way the forum normally operated. Just gonna take some time. I had one day on my calendar to do the upgrade, we're now in day 3, LOL!

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Only problem I have is when I submit a post, it hangs up for a while, then i hit submit again and it says duplicate post then I have to go to the top of the page and click on the page I was on to see the post. This has been happening for some time now. It does it everytime for me, has for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bruces45 said:
Only problem I have is when I submit a post, it hangs up for a while, then i hit submit again and it says duplicate post then I have to go to the top of the page and click on the page I was on to see the post. This has been happening for some time now. It does it everytime for me, has for a few weeks.
That is the problem described in the bold text in my first post in this thread. I think it has been pretty much happening to everyone. I turned a trouble ticket in on it with the host today. They seemed to have resolved it for a few days after last weekend but is now happening again. We'll get it resolved one way or the other....:bier:

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P95Carry said:
Around 3.15 EST - did have some ''issues'' for some while. In Opera I got an alert pop up saying ''Connection refused by remote server'' - then too some pages will load real slow and not appear before - ''Failure to connect to server'' - or similar, in an otherwise blank window.
Have not had that problem lately although I have, periodically, in the past. That sounds more like the server was doing something rather intense at the time you tried to connect. I attribute that to possibly being on the same server as a larger online business that is having record sales for the Christmas season. Another reason I would like to get us on a dedicated server or on a server shared with my other online projects, but that costs significantly more than we can afford right now....:arg:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Too right - dedicated servers are spendy.

One server I use tho is a ''VDS'' (virtual dedicated server) level 2 with ''Jumpline.com" and they do seem to provide quite a lot for the charges. This site tho might need level 3 to cope with bandwidth.

Also too, Derek Zeanah - the tech guy on THR has started hos own hosting service and appears to give a lot for price. I'll try and find a link for his site which gives tariffs.

Oh and - indeed - peek moments with server probably do explain my errors, at times. Plus now and again just possible latency in my satellite link might do things other folks don't get.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is derek's link - http://www.wellbuiltnetworks.net/

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a link to my current plan with Host Excel, which is about the best I have seen available so far. They aren't resellers, they actually own the building and servers and employee real people. I have not found anyone that can touch their storage and bandwidth offerings for any less. Anyone looking for a first rate host, these guys are pretty darned good....

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Must say, they appear to offer a pretty good package.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yup. Excel does well. Might move my sportbike forum to this one.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should all be happy to note that you no longer have to click the little icon in order to Quick Reply to a post. YeeHaaaw! :vikings04:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Great stuff! You da man :smile:

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was good, but in an attempt to resolve some other issues, I was forced to revert the navbar template to the original (newer) version. We now lost Links, Gallery and the Portal links that were in the navbar..... Argggg

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Damn - win some lose some - oh my have I had that at times with software!!!

My sympathies - it is more than frustrating.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Issue

Bumper and Mods,

I've noted that since the upgrade, the site does not keep track of read forums and messages. I have the same messages listed as unread and have to clear them every time I open a new Browser window and visit here.
I've cleared History and cookies, logged in and out several times without change.

Is this a forum upgrade issue, or am I beginning that long slide into senility?:haha:

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you have unread threads, it should shows up in bold type as it should. When a thread is opened and then you back out, it should flag it as "read" and change the font to normal. Are you saying that is not how it is working for you? That part is working prfectly for me.

But, over the last year I had a number of complaints that unread messages were being flagged as "read" too quickly. I bumped it up the timer on the cookie yesterday to stop this from happening quite so quickly. The cookie is what controls this. Let me know if that is the problem you are experiencing, I may need to make another adjustment.

Also, to insure that all works as intended, all of you should log out, periodically, having it delete your cookies. It may also help to flush the cache in your browser if you are experiencing odd behavior in the forum.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm experiencing the opposite of what you describe. I read posts, refresh to have them marked as read, then go to another website. If I happen to have closed the browser and opened another, when I return, I see posts that I have already read and marked as read appear bold as if unread.
Will go and delete the cookies for this forum and see if that resolves my issue.

Also, if I have responded to a post, I have to revisit the thread to have it marked as read.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
san antone rr said:
Also, if I have responded to a post, I have to revisit the thread to have it marked as read.
I have noticed that. I think for some weird reason they did that on purpose.... :confused:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.