Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working, in rural WV, i found a .40 pistol laying along side the road today. The gun was laying 1 foot off the pavement. Pulled over and checked to see if it was loaded. It had a full magazine, empty chamber, and the safety was on. I was in an area with ZERO cell phone coverage, and wouldnt have any for the next several hours. I removed the magazine and put the gun in my truck's lockbox. When I got back to town I stopped at the State Police barracks, and handed it over to them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
WOW! I could just about feel the temptation. You did the right thing and maybe down the road it might be yours.
Way to go!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wow! That's nuts!

Good job turning it in. That was definately the right thing to do.

I wonder if it was tossed from a car or dropped accidentally.

·
Registered
866 Posts
possibly stolen/ditched after being used in a crime as well - hard time explaining that if the issue over came up. You did the right thing, in AK those guns get auctioned off once a year for cheap - do they do the same in your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Good job. I don't think it is a good idea to keep a found gun. First, because it could've been used in a crime. Second, because if it's rightful/legal owner lost it, I would feel better if it is returned to him/her.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm curious, if after 30 days no ones claimed it, can you claim it as found property? Barring they discover it was used in a crime of course.

I've never dealt with a found handgun, so I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I would bet five bucks that the gun was ditched out the window when a criminal saw a cop tailing him, or after he had flashed it at someone. Cheap gun; empty chamber; on the side of the road...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wow! That's nuts!

Good job turning it in. That was definately the right thing to do.

I wonder if it was tossed from a car or dropped accidentally.

+1 I can only wonder why it was tossed myself :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I would turn it in because it might have been used in a crime or might help solve a crime. I would not be concerned with the owner getting it back. I know people who have lost guns due to not having the right holster for the activity. My thought was they were being cheap. What happens when you are being cheap?

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
Gee - I like all the guys who imply they would turn it in, but only because it might have been used in a crime.

How about simply turning it in because you don't want someone else to get hurt and IT ISN'T YOURS?

Say you found along the road a brand spanking new Wilson Combat CQB and knew for a fact it hadn't been used in a crime. Would you keep it then? Remember, IT'S SIMPLY NOT YOURS.

This reminds me of the old saw about the guy asking the woman to join him on his yacht for the weekend and ends with the punch line: we already determined that, we're just haggling over the price.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Your original post didn't say what brand it was. Please satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I am a WV resident and in a quasi LEO job...what county did you find it in?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I have also found a gun in the past, however, I did not turn it over the the sheriff, I simply called them and told them I had found a gun, I gave them the Brand and said it was a rifle, if they had a report of any one missing a gun, to call and give me a description of it, if the description match, I would help them get it back to the rightful owner.

They wanted to come and get it, I said not happening, they called 3 times that day with 3 different descriptions, none even close. They gave up. I could very well see if I turned it over to them, some deputy would own it by now.

Most jurisdictions around here destroy any guns used in crimes and unclaimed guns. They destroy some very nice equipment. It should be auctioned off to help with their operation cost, but no, they destroy them.

If the posters that said it should be turned over, if you find a $100.00 bill on the ground do you take it to the SO or bank and turn it in, I bet not. The money could have been used to buy drugs or some other crime you know.

Z

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'd have turned it in to local law enforcement also, either state police or Sheriffs Dept. The primary difference is that I would make sure that none of my fingerprints made it onto the pistol. I would have put it in either a plastic or paper bag for transport.
If it had been used in any crimes, any existing fingerprints might have been destroyed by you when handling it.

:wave:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Well, I would've turned it in too. I wouldn't worry about my prints being on it, though...Not many BG's are going to turn in a found gun, they used in a crime...

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
If the posters that said it should be turned over, if you find a $100.00 bill on the ground do you take it to the SO or bank and turn it in, I bet not. The money could have been used to buy drugs or some other crime you know.
A loaded handgun is not the same as a $100 bill. FYI.

Also, if I even suspected where the c-note MAY have come from, I will seek to find the owner. I don't need $100 badly enough to take someone else's money. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Just be glad you aren't in UK or you'd be facing 5 years!

Just be glad you don't live in the UK or you'd be facing 5 years in prison for merely being in possession of a piece of forbidden fruit!

Yeah, you did the right thing! I think with the fear of gun confiscation which looms over this country, I think we are all somewhat hesitant to turn in a found firearm, so we can have a firearm the government has no record of when they come to confiscate peoples registered firearms.

However, there is a significant probability that weapon had been used in a robbery, a homicide or even stolen. If such is the case, you certainly don't want to be the one left holding the "hot potato" if LEO's were to one day find it in your possession.

Good job for turning it in!

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I should turn it in immediately; no doubt about it.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts