Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From center to right, my grandmother, grandfather and mother. Picture is between 69-72. Both my grandmother and mom held titles of state champion or runner up for 3 consecutive years.

i never got in to skeet shooting even though I grew up on the range. The smell of burning gun powder mixed with brewing coffee and hot dog sauce in the club house still lingers in my remembrance, and is reborn everytime I get a good whiff of Unique or Red Dot.

I guess I come by my need to shoot honestly:)
D876C105-8E3D-4110-8D5F-BB20A4352173.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
18,340 Posts
Is that your grandfather who you've spoken of before?

You familiar with any of those shotguns in the photograph?

Thanks for posting this.

Such shooting needs to be more mainstream America in the present generation.

·
Registered
18,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that your grandfather who you've spoken of before?

You familiar with any of those shotguns in the photograph?

Thanks for posting this.

Such shooting needs to be more mainstream America in the present generation.
I can’t remember the exact models, but my mom and grandmother had Remington 1100’s with the stocks cut down to fit them.
They each shot both the 12 and 20 gauge class, and my grandfather used an assortment of doubles, O/U’s and autos from Browning, Kriegoff, and he also had a Spanish made Matador model in 28 gauge.

Of course, poly chokes were the style at the time, and I do believe my mom and grandmother fancied the “Catfish Hunter “ models.

All work was performed on the guns by Riggs, in Raceland Ky , who I had the fortune of having work done on a few guns before he passed away some years ago.

·
Super Moderator
18,340 Posts
I think shooting is passed down from DNA. :yup:
OOOooo... I don't know.

I've coached some kids who assumed that it was yet gave dismal results.

·
Super Moderator
18,340 Posts
Good battery of shotguns right there.

A Kriegoff, wow!

I used to have a Winchester Model 12 with a Polychoke. Shot skeet with it too as well as hunted with it. That Polychoke was right handy.

·
Registered
18,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last year the wife indulged me in a walk down memory lane, and we visited the Club.
Here is the club house, and their pictures would have been taken in from of one of these stations pictured.
9C04642B-0F23-4E03-A3A1-D0034D4C0531.jpeg
BE34DC05-F807-4273-A58D-2A5107AE21A8.jpeg
AAB3CBE3-F527-4437-8D2A-9081EBBCE285.jpeg

·
Registered
918 Posts
Here's one of my Dad with his Remington 40X in .222 He finally put 5 rounds into a hole the size of a cigarette. He sent the target to Sierra to be measured and they told him that if it had been done in competition, it would have been some sort of a record. He always wanted to go to Camp Perry but never had the chance since Mom died when we were all young.
He also got into skeet due to many misses on grouse which I loved to hunt with him. I even arranged for him to receive a black and white setter before I left for VN. I have Dad's old Browning Superposed 12 ga skeet/skeet and wish I was young enough to shoot it more.

Your's is a grand old memory and I'm glad many of us have them. I'm probably the only one of the 5 kids who followed in Dad's sporting/shooting footsteps.

Dad was also into cameras. That was probably a selfie from the "60's. He was also retired from the NYPD.

Grandpa scan 5.jpg

·
Registered
34,771 Posts
Best I can do is a pic of my Seabee dad with his "Remington" .45 ACP while on either Saipan or Tinian, although I think it is Saipan. I also expect his Remington was actually a Remington-Rand. He always regretted turning it in when he separated, rather than "losing" it.

scan0053.jpg

He also competed at Camp Perry, shooting the -03 Springfield on the 1000-yard range.

G-Man, at least the skeet range is still there instead of being turned into condos.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
From center to right, my grandmother, grandfather and mother. Picture is between 69-72.
Cool photo.

But are you trying to say that 1969-72 was a long time ago?

Heck, for us geezers, that was like the day before yesterday. :wink:

·
Registered
34,771 Posts
Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
34,771 Posts
Reactions: OD*

·
Super Moderator
18,340 Posts
"used to have"

You, got rid of a gun!?!

The end is near...
Yeah, it was near ...

... but y'all missed it.

Sold off that old Winchester Model 12 perhaps 30 years ago when my good gun club bud Cres Lawson offered to sell me his Winchester Model 12 Skeet Grade that he special ordered from Winchester in 1941.

Only thing is, every once in a while, I still fondly recall adventures with that first old Poly-Choke'ed Model 12 and sort wish I'd kept it too.

Reactions: OD* and Old Man

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
I don't know about the DNA thing. No one in my family (that I know of) was a shooter. My father did mention that when he was in army training, in WWII, he shot expert the first time he ever shot a rifle. That may have been the last time he ever shot anything, though.

Hubby took my one son to a shoot one time and said son seemed to be a natural with the "couple of shots" that he took. He is now seriously looking at getting a gun for SD and was scheduled to take a carry class this weekend. He did take one private instruction class on gun safety and handling and did a little shooting before this carry class. Have not heard from him, so I HOPE it went well! We shall see if his DNA is a close (shooting ability) match to mine or not.

ETA: Wrote to ask son about how the class went. He rescheduled it for later because he has too much time consuming stuff that must be done right now. For someone who wrote to express great concern about the sudden very high crime rate in his area, he's sure taking his time. But he's a middle aged adult and Mom "tries" to not give advice anymore unless asked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts