Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As reported in another thread, the wife and I went into town to Buds Gun Shop to give her a little range work.

Afterward, we did a little browsing, the big crowds have died down, making it bearable to take your time and pick thru all the used guns. There were plenty of AR 15 variants on the walls and racks, but the prices were still a little high, and they werent receiving much attention.

So, while checking the selection of lever guns, I found this used Marlin 336CS in great condition for the crazy price of $299.00. Chambered in 30-30, with good wood, blueing with not one sign of wear or pitting, it now rests in my gun cabinet. And its a pre Remington make with JM barrel.

The thing about Buds, is that their inventory is never properly reflected on their site because it changes faster than they can keep up with.

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
Suh-weet! I don't have a 336 but I've fired some, and I recall they have a nice smooth action. It's nice when you find diamonds in the rough and priced right to boot!

I have a couple of 1894's that are JM's. I keep hoping Remington will turn it around, but they appear to be stalled. Very sad.

·
Registered
42,130 Posts
Looked at an early 336 in .35 Rem yesterday. $399. Just don't need to spend the cash on one though. Also had an Inland M1 carbine but it was pretty beat up for $750. Maybe one day one will follow me home.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
The way Buds did me I might as well have just given them the keys to my bank account and told them to have at it. Never, never again.....

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suh-weet! I don't have a 336 but I've fired some, and I recall they have a nice smooth action. It's nice when you find diamonds in the rough and priced right to boot!

I have a couple of 1894's that are JM's. I keep hoping Remington will turn it around, but they appear to be stalled. Very sad.
Yes it is sad. The Remlins are not the gun the JM's are.

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They had two Browning 1895 levers chambered in 30-06 for 799.00, if I go back, I may have to put one on layaway. That is one cool lever gun.

Reactions: OD* and OldVet

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
"Serendipity" is how I found my barely-used 336 as well, for a comparable bargain. They're out there, folks!

Nice catch, g-man!

Re the 1895s... a friend of mine has a pair of 'em, one's a high grade that he paid mightily for - but a gorgeous gun. Given your penchant for African hunting, you may need to get one, if for no other reason than to relate to ol' TR...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I've always wanted a Marlin lever action. Maybe someday I'll het me one.

Congrats on your new addition.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Good find and price!!!! I love lever guns....I've got several of them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nice find, G-man.

I thinking seriously about getting back into deer hunting this year; it's been over 20 years since I've been.

A Marlin 30-30 is on my short list. I'm hoping to come across a deal like the one you found.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I wish I lived near Bud's actual store, but they get enough of my money via the 'net! The LGS situation here is pretty lame. There's one actual gun shop but the selection is poor and the prices high. They have a pretty nice indoor range, though. I've never purchased a gun there but I have a range membership and buy ammo there sometimes. There are a few pawn shops that sell guns but they seem to mostly have junk with the occasional gem. Scheel's is my go-to source locally for guns and firearms stuff, including ammo. Guess I've bought three guns there in the last six months or so.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
One of my deer hunting buddies has used a 336 in 30-30 since the 70's & the deer don't go anywhere but DOWN! I have been tracking the prices on the pre-rem 336's for a while and $299 is a darn good price.

Congrats & enjoy!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
nice find. that is an awesome price for that gun. congrats.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had a 336 in 30 30, traded back in the 80's ... my eyes were better then and I could shoot it very accurately; the iron sights were great. I got it in the mid 70's when it was a very common entry level big game rifle and traded it to buy my wife a Christmas present. I wish I had it back but can't say that for the woman.

Enjoy that ol gal; you got something to brag about. With the emphasis on more modern designs nowadays I doubt that there will be many floating around for a reasonable price as time goes by and people start to realize that quality like that is not common anymore and they pass to the next generation as heirlooms.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Heck of a deal! Great ole' gun, congrats!

·
Super Moderator
22,295 Posts
Nice Marlin, Gman.

I would go back and get that 1895 Winchester. :wink:

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice Marlin, Gman.
on
I would go back and get that 1895 Winchester. :wink:
You know what ol friend; I couldnt sleep last night thinking about it...or, er, what I have on hand to use as trade to make up for what cash I am short on.

But Monday after work...I am stopping in there, and you know, and I know exactly what will happen...

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Super Moderator
22,295 Posts
And I doubt you'll regret that decision. :hand10:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I use to own one but I sold all my rifles when I was deployed and stationed in Germany for 3 years I only kept my Mossberg 500 a old brake action h&k 16 gauge and my handguns I sold a rem 30_06 sim rem 700 270 and the Marlin 336 I should have never sold them boys

1 - 20 of 21 Posts