Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently carrying my SR9 in a cheap Blackhawk! IWB nylon holster. I am eager to get something nicer for the big gun that will be more comfortable and concealable. I have been looking at hybrids and my search has brought me to the Foxx and Old Faithful options due to good reviews and a $40 price tag for each.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with either, or both, particularly with a big gun like the SR9. Also, if you have ordered one from either company in the last couple of months, what was the turnaround time like? I am not sure if I am willing to wait 30-45 days for a new holster. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I was not impressed by old faithful, but I have two Foxx holsters, the hybrid and the Little foxx, and both are good products for the money. Foxx's turn around time is about a week, not including weekends. If you have not checked them out, take a look at SHTF Gear ( www. SHTFGear.com). I have several of their holsters, and they are my daily carry rigs for both my G22 and my SR40C. I will be adding another very shortly, as i am picking up a ruger LCR this saturday. If you do a sight search for SHTF holster, you will find a review with HQ images that I did of the SHTF holster. Good luck !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got a Foxx for my full size 1911. Turn around was 11 days from order to getting it. The quality of the materials is great. The one caveat, it was much too tight for a full size 1911 so I reheated the kydex and remolded it for my other EDC and now it's a favorite holster just like a crossbreed I got in a trade. Good investment

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was not impressed by old faithful
Any particular reason?

The one caveat, it was much too tight for a full size 1911 so I reheated the kydex and remolded it for my other EDC and now it's a favorite holster just like a crossbreed I got in a trade. Good investment
Do you mean the retention was too tight? Any reason you did not remold it to better fit the 1911?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So right now I am leaning towards the Foxx by a slight margin. Mainly because I am hearing that Old Faithful has a pretty significant wait time.

Any more input before I pull the trigger?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any particular reason?

Do you mean the retention was too tight? Any reason you did not remold it to better fit the 1911?
The leather didn't go all the way down to cover the slide as I had expected. Given that, I figured it would work better for another weapon. I assumed something without checking first so it was my error. I do like it very well with the new mold.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Any particular reason?

The old faithful wasnt necessarily bad in any way, it just wasnt comfortable even after almost two weeks, and the mounting screws kept loosening. Others like theirs, but iw wasnt for me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The leather didn't go all the way down to cover the slide as I had expected. Given that, I figured it would work better for another weapon. I assumed something without checking first so it was my error. I do like it very well with the new mold.
That's good to know. I had been wondering about that myself as I definitely want something that backs the entire slide of my SR9. I sent them an email to to see if they can cut the leather a little larger for me. I'm thinking it should not be a big deal, but we'll see. Thanks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
So right now I am leaning towards the Foxx by a slight margin. Mainly because I am hearing that Old Faithful has a pretty significant wait time.

Any more input before I pull the trigger?
ive got a old faithful for g27 i had a pretty long wait but it was worth everyday i waited

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm currently carrying my SR9 in a cheap Blackhawk! IWB nylon holster. I am eager to get something nicer for the big gun that will be more comfortable and concealable. I have been looking at hybrids and my search has brought me to the Foxx and Old Faithful options due to good reviews and a $40 price tag for each.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with either, or both, particularly with a big gun like the SR9. Also, if you have ordered one from either company in the last couple of months, what was the turnaround time like? I am not sure if I am willing to wait 30-45 days for a new holster. Thanks in advance!
Please let us know what you wind up with & how you like it. I'm in the same boat right now, carrying a SR45 in a Black IWB & it seems like there are a million options out there.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
It took me a little over 3 weeks before I got the 2 Old Faithful holsters I ordered and one of those was for a Glock 20 which I have worn a little and it seems very comfortable even with that big of a gun. I would probably only wear it when I could wear a sweatshirt or jacket. I am considering a Glock 19 or 26 for a future purchase. I would probably buy a Foxx next time just so I could compare the 2.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ive got a old faithful for g27 i had a pretty long wait but it was worth everyday i waited

It took me a little over 3 weeks before I got the 2 Old Faithful holsters I ordered and one of those was for a Glock 20 which I have worn a little and it seems very comfortable even with that big of a gun. I would probably only wear it when I could wear a sweatshirt or jacket. I am considering a Glock 19 or 26 for a future purpose. I would probably by a Foxx next time just so I could compare the 2.
Did you get the kit or preassembled holster? I am wondering if the turnaround time would be faster for the kit. I see he has them on eBay for a few bucks more. I would think those would have to ship faster...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Did you get the kit or preassembled holster? I am wondering if the turnaround time would be faster for the kit. I see he has them on eBay for a few bucks more. I would think those would have to ship faster...
I got the kit. I was thinking the turnaround would be faster. They were pretty easy to put together and I found a way that worked better to put it together on the 2nd one. They definitely get more comfortable as you wear them and I have not worn them very much so I am assuming they will get better the more I wear them. I would have to assume that if he has some listed on ebay they must be all set to ship out so you should get them quicker. I got one for a Ruger P89 as well but the Glock actually conceals a little better so I will probably stick to that during colder weather and maybe sell the one for the Ruger.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just ordered a Foxx. I have heard good things about them and it sounds like they have the quickest turnaround time right now.

I sent them an email asking them to custom cut the leather to extend to fully back the slide of my gun. Here is the QUICK reply I received from Ray: "I understand what your saying now. Sure, you can just order our hybrid holster then after placing you order send us a note saying 'leather to cover muzzle end' and we'll take care of it for you."

I'm so excited to actually have a decent holster! I'll post up some pics when it arrives and then report back after I have worn it a bit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Turn around time was better with a Foxx. The screws on the holsters allow you to adjust the the tension on the Kydex mold to the leather. Once you get it adjusted, simply put a drop of fingernail polish on the threads and it will hold. Mine as been used daily for a year and absolutely no loosing of the screws. The Kydex is also slightly heavier which I can see may be beneficial after years of carrying. If I had to order another holster today, I'd go with the Old Faithful.

Leather as it gets worn, gets more comfortable, also as it gets slightly damp, will form to your body. The larger area actually spreads the weight around. Both holsters carry my Colt 1911

1 - 20 of 52 Posts