Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51,904 Posts
That's not normal. My 6906 has a couple of what I would call "polished" places, but nothing rough like that. Check the slide rails for roughness or burrs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not normal. My 6906 has a couple of what I would call "polished" places, but nothing rough like that. Check the slide rails for roughness or burrs.
I haven't shot it yet, but everything's acting normal. Put a new recoil spring in.
What should I do about this once I get the slide rails cleaned up if they need them.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Yeah, that looks bad.

Some metal framed guns are known for getting smooth spots, but rough jagged places like you show are a problem.

·
Registered
51,904 Posts
The frame is a softer alloy and must be treated with care. I'd clean up that area gently, filing and sanding no more than necessary to smooth it out and lightly grease the rails. Some manual cycling should show if the wear is continuing.

Reactions: MasonicMan94

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The frame is a softer alloy and must be treated with care. I'd clean up that area gently, filing and sanding no more than necessary to smooth it out and lightly grease the rails. Some manual cycling should show if the wear is continuing.
It's my ccw so definitely gonna check this out over the weekend.
Have been using regular hopps.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
yep that looks a tad rough.....how is the general slide/frame fit? super tight or loose?
how is the wear on that slide stop pin and the hole in the frame for it?

only thing else i can think of it keep shooting and monitoring....and hope she polishes out.....but something is applying pressure at a certain point is what i am thinking.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep that looks a tad rough.....how is the general fit? how is the wear on that slide stop pin and the hole in the frame for it?

only thing else i can think of it keep shooting and monitoring....and hope she polishes out.
It fits perfectly. No wiggle and it's tight. Haven't shot it yet but have steady carried it. Replaced the recoil spring

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep that looks a tad rough.....how is the general slide/frame fit? super tight or loose?
how is the wear on that slide stop pin and the hole in the frame for it?

only thing else i can think of it keep shooting and monitoring....and hope she polishes out.....but something is applying pressure at a certain point is what i am thinking.
Also the slide stop pin, and frame hole is fine.

·
Registered
51,904 Posts
I took a few photos of my 6906, not particularly good pics but can be used for comparison.

Forward dust cover
Azure Blue Sleeve Jersey Rectangle

Retracted slide
Wood Machine tool Cylinder Gas Machine

I have some wear on the front edges of the dust cover.

Barrel
Hand Finger Writing implement Office supplies Thumb

Your barrel looks a bit battered compared to mine. Maybe too many +Ps? There also seems to be a notch on the rear of yours. Check your extractor for wear on the tip.

Front rail at slide lock pin
Sewing Finger Nail Thumb Material property

Top of front rail
Hand Finger Wood Electric blue Thumb

Reactions: oneshot

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heres the other side of the barrel. Where the stop pin goes in has the finish warn but functions fine. Lockup is fine. Its mainly the front dust cover rail tht looks rough
Wood Office supplies Automotive exterior Gun accessory Metal

Automotive exhaust Office supplies Nickel Muffler Bumper

Hand Finger Household hardware Nail Thumb

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hard to tell from photos, but my guess would be electro galvanic corrosion.
Galvanic corrosion is caused when two dissimilar metals come into contact with each other while immersed in an electrolyte like salt water. Electrolysis is caused by the existence of potential current between two different objects. These objects can be aboard a single vessel or involve multiple vessels. i.e.Stainless steel will corrode when in contact with aluminum. The electrolyte could be body sweat.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hard to tell from photos, but my guess would be electro galvanic corrosion.
Galvanic corrosion is caused when two dissimilar metals come into contact with each other while immersed in an electrolyte like salt water. Electrolysis is caused by the existence of potential current between two different objects. These objects can be aboard a single vessel or involve multiple vessels. i.e.Stainless steel will corrode when in contact with aluminum. The electrolyte could be body sweat.
So would keeping this clean and clear be alright? You don't think the weapons unsafe?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts