Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Group aims to give out free shotguns in 15 cities - CBS News

The group is called the Armed Citizen Project, and as, their name says they want to arm citizens by giving them shotguns.

They aim to give out shotguns to people in fifteen cities including Chicago.

They've already started giving out the guns in Houston where at least four mothers have received free guns.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Good point about the shotguns, "they are not of much use to criminals as much as they are to homeowners." Of course, a BG could use a shotgun, but I don't think it would be very discreet...

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Good point about the shotguns, "they are not of much use to criminals as much as they are to homeowners." Of course, a BG could use a shotgun, but I don't think it would be very discreet...
Since they don't care about laws they can cut the barrel down to just in front of the mag tube and cut the stock off behind the grip thereby making it short enough to conceal under a coat.
I'm assuming they are having them fill out 4473 at the gun store, since they would be entering an area of the Person to Person transfer where they purchased the gun knowing it would be given to somebody else unless the new owner completed the paperwork

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This group was giving away an AR-15 to bolster its email list a while back. I did not donate but did register since I don't really have varmit gun. I have not received any emails from them soliciting funds. Apparently I didn't win thecontest either. Lol

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Well at least the Vice President should be happy even if nobody else is; as he is a big believer in shotguns for home defense. I wonder if he has contributed any dollars to the program. Oh I forgot his motto is "do as I say, not do as I do".

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
What is to say the majority will not be sold on receipt.

Reactions: ErnieNWillis

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Since they don't care about laws they can cut the barrel down to just in front of the mag tube and cut the stock off behind the grip thereby making it short enough to conceal under a coat....
There is typically no mag tube on a single-shot shotgun.

I'm assuming they are having them fill out 4473 at the gun store, since they would be entering an area of the Person to Person transfer where they purchased the gun knowing it would be given to somebody else unless the new owner completed the paperwork
They are GIVING the guns to the program participants; not selling them, or buying them "for someone who is legally prohibited from purchasing a firearm". It looks like the 'gifting' provision of the Federal regulations applies. I had doubts about this myself, too, but it appears to check out.

The rub here is that the 'gifting' must take place to/from people residing in the same state, so the "Armed Citizen Project" will need to recruit members to do the actual 'gifting' in each state where they intend to operate.

Reactions: NONAME762

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
What is to say the majority will not be sold on receipt.
"What is to say" that the majority of YOUR guns will not be sold to Mexican drug cartels? Maybe we shouldn't let you have any guns, just in case.

Just sayin'.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
Yo 'Discreet' ain't even in the BG Playbook Bro...

·
Registered
11,157 Posts

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
There is typically no mag tube on a single-shot shotgun.

They are GIVING the guns to the program participants; not selling them, or buying them "for someone who is legally prohibited from purchasing a firearm". It looks like the 'gifting' provision of the Federal regulations applies. I had doubts about this myself, too, but it appears to check out.

The rub here is that the 'gifting' must take place to/from people residing in the same state, so the "Armed Citizen Project" will need to recruit members to do the actual 'gifting' in each state where they intend to operate.
This Armed Citizen Project was born out of these LEO Gun Buy Back programs. These guys buy shotguns from the folks before they turn them over to Gun BB deals.
Then the ACP gives the shotty's to deserving po folks with some shells. As long as the recipients get sum proper training for defensive shotgun use I think it's a fine idea. It gives those who otherwise would not be able to afford a firearm the means to protect their family.. It's a Win-Win for the Good Guys.:blink:

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
"What is to say" that the majority of YOUR guns will not be sold to Mexican drug cartels? Maybe we shouldn't let you have any guns, just in case.

Just sayin'.
In all the years I've had firearms none of My Guns has ever been found on the Street. My guns are Always Secured but for those under my Immediate Control should BG's try to breech my front door.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Tactically, no good ... shotguns require 2 hands. Common BG MO is a handgun in 1 hand (horizontal of course), the other hand holding up the pants. Shotguns are out ... simple case of form over function.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i think its a neat plan. hopefully they can get into chicago with them but i wouldnt hold my breath. sucks its only a single shot but a gun is a gun and hopefully this helps deter some crime rates in these cities. i just hope the mag limit party doesnt jump on this and say "see their giving a single shot gun for protection, they dont need more than one shot".

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
I could see where this would be a problem in two areas. One is that if you give somebody something for free more than likely they will not take care of it. Two, since it is free it could possibly be looked at like another appliance in the home, not taken seriously and could be handled by someone with little or no training and this would make the gun more dangerous in the wrong hands.

I wish they had taken the money and spent it on gun awareness and/or training and educated folks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts