Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,515 Posts
We are at number 24 so we are doing pretty well; their comments about the rankings are dead on in what we need to change.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Number 18

Reactions: mano3

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
I notice that while Colorado ranks #19 it comes in as “most worsened”� in the country over the 2001 to 2011 period with a change rating of -12.
Why am I not surprised?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Interesting spreadsheet, with lots of factors considered.

For 2011, the top five are:

• Personal Freedom: #1 Alaska, Nevada, Maine, New Mexico, New Hampshire
  • Economic Freedom: #1 South Dakota, Tennessee, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Alabama
  • Regulatory Freedom: #1 Indiana, Delaware, Iowa, North Dakota, Nebraska

Didn't make the top 20 in any category: NY, NJ, CA

The odd entrant: MA, which made #10 in Personal Freedom, but not in the top 20 in either of the other two categories.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Illinois beat CA!?!?!?!?!?! Guess I have to change my slogan to "California, at least we aren't New York" :aargh4:

Reactions: srings

·
Super Moderator
18,515 Posts
I'm sure the brady bunch will contest the rankings.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Interesting spreadsheet, with lots of factors considered.

For 2011, the top five are:

• Personal Freedom: #1 Alaska, Nevada, Maine, New Mexico, New Hampshire
  • Economic Freedom: #1 South Dakota, Tennessee, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Alabama
  • Regulatory Freedom: #1 Indiana, Delaware, Iowa, North Dakota, Nebraska

Didn't make the top 20 in any category: NY, NJ, CA

The odd entrant: MA, which made #10 in Personal Freedom, but not in the top 20 in either of the other two categories.

I'd have to agree with personal freedom in Maine, we do alright in that category. I'm surprised Vermont wasn't in there having constitutional carry but then again they have some other laws that are silly.

But we suck fiscally. 39th on that list. Fees, taxes, all of them are a pain in the butt. I pay a stupid amount every year to register my truck, even now that it's 12 years old.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Ohio has got to do better...Gov. Kasich has done some good things, but nutty things too (expansion of Obamacare/Medicaid & not working on becoming a right-to-work state...Michigan did it...it's asinine that Ohio can't!). #33 just doesn't cut it...I wish IN regulatory practices would rub off on us.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
What? Montana is number 12 and with recommendations that I don't agree with. It includes the recommendation to reduce incarceration length for non-violent offenders. The longer than average prison times is because non-violent crimes include some crimes that really hurt others livelihood. Stealing a ranchers truck, or rustling a ranchers cattle are considered non violent but can cause serious damage. This is yet another example of someone just looking at paper/laws and not understanding the culture/society of the given population.

Also, how does appointment of judges add to freedom? Wouldn't allowing for the election or re-election of judges allow for more freedom instead of letting some wacko sit there for life, or as long as that administration is in power?

I have lived in New Hampshire, and I can tell you, for freedom, I would much rather live in Montana, BY FAR. I liked NH, but Montana is just plan better.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In general, most of the States on the list aren't doing bad.

Being a CHL holder and gun dealer employee in Oregon, I can say that it is a very easy State to live in for people who like to own and carry firearms. In my daily life, I can carry everywhere that people actually go. Any State that ranks higher than us should be in great shape!

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
#8 here in VA, but not sure how current the data used was. They talked about VA having a limit on the number of guns you could purchase, but the 1 gun per month law was repealed last year.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Texas was 14 and had dropped 6. I expect that trend to continue. Lots of folks from CA moving here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They say that Alabama "has stricter gun regulations than some other states, especially for dealers and carriers of concealed weapons." I have to say, in my experience, Alabama has much better CCW laws than most, if not all, states I routinely visit. I know Alabama is technically a may issue, but in practice we are shall issue, and there are basically no restrictions about where one can carry. Really the only thing that needs changing, IMO, to gun laws here is to allow the carrying of a loaded handgun in a vehicle without a permit. Although I do agree with their policy recommendations, and they are spot on about alcohol laws. Alcohol is so expensive here compared to many places I've been! I'm also slightly offended that Biden's home state scored better than mine overall :(

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Bay City and Benton Harbor sure drag Mi. down.#35, guess that isn't too bad as it seems to be alright for the most part where I live

1 - 19 of 19 Posts