Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does freeze dried food like Mountain House last and not taste like cardboard when you eat it?

Can you keep it 10 years? More?

Or does it taste like cardboard even when new?

·
Administrator
144,127 Posts
Mountain House is great. In my opinion.

10 years should be no problem at all.

I would suggest that for most meals you allow them to remain sealed with the boiling water 5 minutes longer than the suggested times.
Especially the ones like Beef Stew.

Are you wanting to know about the cans or the pouches?

With the pouches it is important that you be QUICK for the best results.
Get the boiling water in fast....quick stir and seal the pouch A.S.A.P.
Outdoors in COLD weather it helps to wrap a piece of clothing around the pouch for a bit of added insulation.
At least that is what I do and it's beneficial. :yup:

Oh....and don't forget to remove the Oxygen Absorber. It is usually right on top but, occasionally you'll need to dig for it.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
If it retains its nutrients, and I'm hungry, I could care less if, in 15 years, it...tastes like cardboard. It's food when food is unavailable. And I'm SURE it'll be tastier than old cowboy boots. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
When I was a kid & family lived in Germany in very early 60"s we (Dad had) a 1911 45 & C rations because we were near the border with USSR & things were not too great back then.
All given to him from A Master Sergeant in the Army. Dad was civilian.
I used to sneak the C rations when hungry. I thought tasted good!
Have a bucket now from MH..good for 25 years. Won't live that long to find out how this taste, hopefully.

·
Administrator
144,127 Posts
May you outlive your Mountain House foods by many happy and productive years. :yup:

BTW....you Must at least try one of their freeze dried Ice Cream...in Combo Vanilla Chocolate and Strawberry. :yup:

When I was a kid & family lived in Germany in very early 60"s we (Dad had) a 1911 45 & C rations because we were near the border with USSR & things were not too great back then.
All given to him from A Master Sergeant in the Army. Dad was civilian.
I used to sneak the C rations when hungry. I thought tasted good!
Have a bucket now from MH..good for 25 years. Won't live that long to find out how this taste, hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
18,788 Posts
Has anyone tried watermelon pieces from the dehydrator? Mrs. BMc did a bunch of watermelon. I thought it was mostly water. It's mostly sugar. Stuff's sweeter than any candy you've ever had. Like eating watermelon-flavored sugar cubes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
does anybody make such line of long term foods, that are not infected with so much salt.

a medical thing with me. i have not added any salt to anything in decades. if i go out to eat. i get mild sick eating much of it.

·
Administrator
144,127 Posts
WISE FOODS - EXPECT SALT and no shortage of it.
I would rather eat the bark off of a pine tree.

Mountain House....much better with regard to less salt. Their beef stew is one that I always buy and it has 890mg Salt but, that does not taste salty to me.
That might be high for you though.
One thing that you CAN do is add one of their vegetarian vegetable mixes (low in Sodium) to a higher Sodium meal and make two meals or add plain instant rice and bulk up a meal with no salt rice.
I think for survival type pouch FOODS there will always be some salt since folks are going to lose sodium/potassium etc that would need to be replaced in such scenarios.

Also take a look at Backpackers Pantry.

You should be able to check the Sodium levels per meal on their site also. :yup:

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I'm afraid that packaged foods of all types are loaded with salt. I too would say MH stuff doesn't tasty especially salty. Maybe the best option would be to buy the cans of freeze dried fruits, veggies and meats and mix them as you need them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
sad part for me is i have cut out all added salt in my diet for well over a decade, so any added salt is heavy for me.
salt is adictive in a way, as the more you use the less you taste. (i have seen people literately cover there food with the stuff. and they say it is not salty).
yes there is plenty of salt added to our food chain, so we Americans eat way too much for our own good. and that is in "regular" foods.
adding salt is a deal from well over 100 years back, there were no freezers or refrigerators in the avg home. so salt was the only way to keep foods good to eat longer.

200 more years back a man with a salt mine was richer than one with a gold mine.

but yes if everything goes to he.. then eating too much salt will not be a problem. nor what would kill me.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
The #10 cans of Mountain House food say 30 years. Pouches ought to be good for a shorter time.
Their pouches have been tested and are also rated for at least 30 years FWIW

does anybody make such line of long term foods, that are not infected with so much salt.
Mountain House also has a line of lower sodium foods (check their site for details)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you let yourself get hungry enough, you won't worry about taste as much.

·
Super Moderator
24,634 Posts
sad part for me is i have cut out all added salt in my diet for well over a decade, so any added salt is heavy for me.
salt is adictive in a way, as the more you use the less you taste. (i have seen people literately cover there food with the stuff. and they say it is not salty).
yes there is plenty of salt added to our food chain, so we Americans eat way too much for our own good. and that is in "regular" foods.
adding salt is a deal from well over 100 years back, there were no freezers or refrigerators in the avg home. so salt was the only way to keep foods good to eat longer.

200 more years back a man with a salt mine was richer than one with a gold mine.

but yes if everything goes to he.. then eating too much salt will not be a problem. nor what would kill me.

Sugar too!!!!!

·
Administrator
144,127 Posts
In times past...salt was of course used as a food preservative.

Humans need it now just as much as it was necessary way back when.

The difference being that many FOODS (these days) already contain enough salt for an average human on an ordinary day.

During activities when humans exert themselves and sweat profusely.... they will require more salt, potassium, plus other trace minerals.

Go completely without ANY/Zero salt for a long enough period of time and a human will die.

That is almost an impossibility with modern day processed foods included in nearly every diet.

Many animals have been known to travel hundreds of miles to some natural location where mineral salt is present.

So....yes, you need it. It is essential. But, not in excessive amounts.

It also works very well for melting ice on sidewalks. :rofl:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts