Defensive Carry banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,091 Posts
I'd be trying-out those grenades to make sure every one worked. :danceban:
Not me, being 70+ years old there is no telling how unstable they are. I would leave them where they are.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I'd be trying-out those grenades to make sure every one worked. :danceban:
Not me, being 70+ years old there is no telling how unstable they are. I would leave them where they are.
Those things were somewhat erratic even when new. Pulling the pin now would be a bad idea. :)

·
Registered
33,873 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I’m sure they turned them over. I recall a few years ago there was a Cache found within a wall. Machine guns grenades couple rifles and pistols. They were turned into the Museum of the French Resistance that then proudly proclaimed they would permanently deactivate them for display. Amazing they didn’t learn after the last round of occupation.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I’m sure they turned them over. I recall a few years ago there was a Cache found within a wall. Machine guns grenades couple rifles and pistols. They were turned into the Museum of the French Resistance that then proudly proclaimed they would permanently deactivate them for display. Amazing they didn’t learn after the last round of occupation.
One time when I was in France, we were traveling through some smallish village and passed a small building. I don't speak French, but my best translation of the name over the door was "Museum of French Victories. This building was smaller than a one room school house. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
25,501 Posts
Heck, a construction crew just found an unexploded Civil War era artillery shell while working downtown.

Last week:
https://abcnews4.com/news/local/artillery-shell-found-by-charleston-construction-crew-prompts-street-closures-downtown
Yup, there is plenty of Civil War ordnance still floating around waiting to be found! The oldest ordnance I was involved with was in Washington, DC (Georgetown), and we ID'd it as a British round most likely fired during the War of 1812.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
One time when I was in France, we were traveling through some smallish village and passed a small building. I don't speak French, but my best translation of the name over the door was "Museum of French Victories. This building was smaller than a one room school house. :rofl:
I like making fun of the French too, but we do have to remember that they hold the record for battles won at 1115. They just beat the UK at 1105. They always had a top notch military but by the start of WWII, simply out of men. They lost a whole generation.

Okay, back to the French jokes.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I like making fun of the French too, but we do have to remember that they hold the record for battles won at 1115. They just beat the UK at 1105. They always had a top notch military but by the start of WWII, simply out of men. They lost a whole generation.

Okay, back to the French jokes.
Yay! Someone else knows something of French history before WW2! I always feel bad for the rap their army got after the fall of France. If the American army of 1940 had magically been over there during that campaign, they would have been absolutely annihilated, or at best been kicked square off the continent with their tail between their legs just like the British were. It pays to be neutral with the Atlantic Ocean between you and trouble. The French didn't have that luxury.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well, part of the problem with the French military has always been its leadership: General Staff down to battalion (demi-brigade) level.
More of the problem, in WW2, was that the whole country was still so demoralized by its huge losses in WW1, that it had lost the will to fight.

Often, the French have been better equipped than their adversaries (although not in WW1 and WW2), but have been so poorly trained and led that just about every important battle was lost.
The most striking example of this failure of leadership was the Franco-Prussian War of 1870.
And the exception to this was, of course, during the reign of Napoleon and the French Empire.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts