Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
There is no indication the old guy freaked out. They went negative G and he wasn't ready for it and grabbed a handle to hold.

The whole incident was a CF. He wasn't properly screened medically for the flight. He wasn't given proper instruction before the flight. Even the ejection system failed to work properly, which turned out good, but the pilot should have been ejected as well. The system is designed so that either passenger or pilot can eject both in an emergency. Both are ejected in case one is too injured to pull the handle or is unconscious.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/09/frenchman_ejected_fighter_jet_retirement_jolly/
Even more CF described in the article below. The old guy did get a medical screening and the doc said the flight should be limited to 3 G's. But that information did not get passed to the pilot. Also, the ground crew did not help the old guy strap in. His harness and helmet straps were way loose, causing him to be thrown around the cockpit during maneuvers and causing the helmet to be blown off during the ejection. Also, the command eject system did go through the first step. The pilot's canopy was jettisoned when the passenger ejected, but the seat did not fire. This caused the pilot to wonder if his seat could cook off at any time.

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/26700/Rafale_Jet_Flaw_Prevented_Unintended_Pilot_Ejection__Accident

·
Registered
Various
15,546 Posts
I had to qualify in an ejection seat trainer before being an observer in the OV-1 Mohawk. The pilot would say eject, eject, eject or slap you across the chest to signal ejection. There was the preferred handle over your head which brought a mask over your head to protect going through the canopy. There was another between your legs. The pilot told me an observer in Viet Nam was on a long flight and had fallen asleep. The pilot had ran out of cigarettes and tapped the observer on the chest for a cigarette. The observer ejected.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
What, no video. That would be priceless.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Bad idea to get a ride at Pierre's rent a jet.
If I am going to do anything like that I am going to check out the company, and I am going to make sure I have all my questions answered or I am not going up.
Poor guy probably did not know enough to realize he was not strapped in properly or what questions to ask.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
My son, being a B-52 Radar Nav (WSO "Weapons Systems Office" ) has ALWAYS thought about that critical time of having to "exit" the aircraft...
His Seat, along with the navigator, drop back the panels fall off, and Downward out of the Fuselage of the Bomber.....The AC and CC seats eject upward thru the cockpit hatches...:scratchchin:
http://www.ejectionsite.com/b-52.htm

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
I honestly don't know how that pilot ever got off the ground with that guy on his plane. I assume it was a military plane, but maybe not. If this was the USAF, that pilot would be looking at a court martial.

Aside from that, it's a pretty funny story since he survived with his head still on.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
His coworkers nearly permanently retired him.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
So that is why, not too long after we were married, my former fighter pilot husband gave me absolute FIRM instructions (while sitting together watching TV):

"SIT THERE, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT and DON'T TOUCH NOTHIN!"
So, is he a former fighter pilot or a former husband or both?

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Riding with the French Air Force is one thing, riding with an ex-Soviet bloc pilot is quite another. I don't know about this video, but they used to take passengers to around 100,000 feet in the Mig-29. IF this is such a ride, you will notice the passenger has a silver-looking suit on - but it is NOT a full pressure suit, such as would be the only thing between the passenger and boiling alive if they lost pressurization.

Oh well...what's one non-comrade, more or less. A little soap to clean up the back seat, and...NEXT. :embarassed:

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
Many years ago I heard of a AF maintenance guy accidentally ejecting himself into a hanger roof on Okinawa. Wasn't pretty.
Yes, the "seat safety" class had a photo of an F-4 in a hangar, that aircraft being known for the seats never being fully "safe." in the rafters you could see an ejection seat stuck and the maintenance guy's arms hanging out.

I scared about 10 years of life off a former F-4 guy when I was showing him a B-52. While sitting in the Bomb/Nav seats, he tripped the ankle hooks and I told him he'd armed the seat, which it hadn't. I'm sure visions of that seat in the rafters flashed through his head. The guy never really trusted me after that. Don't know why.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Yes, the "seat safety" class had a photo of an F-4 in a hangar, that aircraft being known for the seats never being fully "safe." in the rafters you could see an ejection seat stuck and the maintenance guy's arms hanging out.

I scared about 10 years of life off a former F-4 guy when I was showing him a B-52. While sitting in the Bomb/Nav seats, he tripped the ankle hooks and I told him he'd armed the seat, which it hadn't. I'm sure visions of that seat in the rafters flashed through his head. The guy never really trusted me after that. Don't know why.
So you didn't start screwing with people when you got old.
You have been doing it all your life.
No wonder you have perfected it to an art form.

·
Super Moderator
16,151 Posts
Many years ago I heard of a AF maintenance guy accidentally ejecting himself into a hanger roof on Okinawa. Wasn't pretty.
My first assignment was McDill, AFB and going to the battery shop in Hanger #1 I noticed a large brown stain on the ceiling, asked the guy I was with and was informed that had formerly been a Martin-Baker tech rep.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts