Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night, two of my security cameras caught a wild sow & her three piglets passing by the house and into the back yard.

Well, I was out of town for the weekend, and this afternoon when I got home, I found my back yard had been thoroughly tilled up. I don't mean there were spots where the pigs had been digging, I mean the whole yard looked like it had been tilled! I have a camera that covers most of the back yard, but I had the motion detection sensitivity turned down due to nuisance trips by birds & insects flying around the camera, so, I did not get any actual footage of the carnage.

This evening I took my little Marlin .22 Mag out back with the night vision scope, and made sure the scope was sighted in well. I also cranked up the sensitivity on the back yard camera's motion detection, so I will hopefully know if they come back tonight! I know, a lot of folks will sneer at a .22 Mag for wild hogs, but if they come back, I'll likely be shooting from about 30 yards or less and I can assure you, a shot just below the ear will drop them like a sack of potatoes.

So, I might just have some young wild pork ribs for the slow cooker before long! :yup: :tongue: :yumyum:

·
Premium Member
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, @gasmitty !

I, too, am looking forward to ribs in the crockpot! :yup:

In the meantime, lest anyone think I was exaggerating about what those little porkers did to my back yard:

20200223_165318.jpg

20200223_165332.jpg

20200223_165532.jpg

:blink:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
.................................. I know, a lot of folks will sneer at a .22 Mag for wild hogs, but if they come back, I'll likely be shooting from about 30 yards or less and I can assure you, a shot just below the ear will drop them like a sack of potatoes. .....................
Back when my father was young most farmers around my grandfather's farm let their hogs run loose. There were no stock/fence laws back then in Arkansas and there were no .22mags. The firearm of choice for harvesting pork was a .22LR rifle. Works just as good as a .22mag when properly placed.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Don't know whether to call you lucky or unlucky. It's a shame what they did to your yard. But, you get to hunt them. Here in Kansas, it's landowner pest removal only. No sport hunting. Illegal to hunt, darn it.if you get one or three, make wlsutlre you enjoy them for those of us that can't.

·
Premium Member
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any luck in getting the destructive critters?
No, but thanks for asking!

I've been prowling around looking for them in the evenings for the last week, but they've been pretty good at avoiding me! Seems they're most active in the wee hours (like 2-4 a.m.) and that's a very good way to avoid me! :hand5:

·
Super Moderator
18,276 Posts
Yep Jim. Feral hogs are more of a pain than I realized before they moved in on us at our old family place on the lake about a year ago.

A pork snack was collected the last weekend of duck season. We were out there just yesterday and they've excavated a total of probably 40 acres down in the mesquite woods along the lake, plus incursions on the interior roads and right in the yard of the old lake cabin! They rooted up our path from the cabin to the cove where the duck blind is located just since we were there a little over a month ago. Looks more like the Somme!

Pigs are yummy, but not worth the destruction. This is the mesquite near the cabin. Ground torn up for hundreds of yards around.

I've been expecting their arrival for two decades without seeing a single pig or even a sign. Then all of the sudden ... it was "Katy bar the door!"

Used to say some hogs introduced to the deer, turkey, ducks, small game and varmints would be welcome.

I take it back! I take it back!

·
Super Moderator
19,250 Posts
Is that a .22 that decked out little piggie? Where'd you hit him?

Nice to see that six-shooter on your hip. That's the venerable Model 10?

·
Super Moderator
18,276 Posts
Used a neato ol' Remington Model 510 made in September 1946 loaded a with CCI standard velocity 40 grain solid. I'd gone wandering off toward the road leading up the hill, thinking on collecting a rabbit or perhaps a squirrel. A goodly sized herd of hogs bolted out of the brush and crossed an old fire break cut around the base of the hill. They were crossing in front of me. It was like a shooting gallery. I swung the rifle and put the sights on the largest one I could spot and fired, somewhere at its front half. Herd the bullet hit the hog, but to no avail as the hog gave no sign of a strike and kept going. It probably weighed 125-150 lbs..

Reloaded the rifle and was thinking of following them up through the briar choked scrub oak on the side of the hill when a second group bolted across the fire lane. When I swung on this group the rifle settled on one of the small ones and I again was just able to aim at the front half. Upon firing I heard the bullet strike, but this one set up a squeal, the sound of which could be followed 20-something yards up through the underbrush. It ceased abruptly and I fought my way through the briars and low-hanging scrub oak to find a pork snack. Laid down the rifle and took the photo.

Shame our son was unable to get in on the action. He was behind me with a .22 Magnum rifle which would have been more to the point. The 40 grain solid hit just at the juncture of the brown and white markings, pierced the bottom of both lungs and exited the pig. Was a lucky hit. Didn't weigh it, but it probably weighed 25, maybe 30 lbs.

This was an occasion where a repeating .22 rifle would also have been more to the point. Makes me think I need to be carrying a healthy center fire rifle for hogs.

Side arm is a 1920s Smith & Wesson K-Frame Hand Ejector in .32-20. Later in the afternoon a squirrel in the woods behind us as we sat in the duck blind spied us and fussed about it. Not wanting to waste a 12 gauge bismuth duck load I went back there to a tall oak tree and disputed with him with the revolver.

So, the duck hunt netted one duck shot by our son, a small pig and a squirrel. Was a warm "blue bird" day and ducks just didn't materialize.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts