Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,023 Posts
Personally, I have CC license from two states, to cover areas of the country that I would travel to. I'm betting that the way Legislators write laws so poorly worded, that they fall badly to the trap of unintended consequences, that if passed we would all lose reciprocity where we are already covered.
Bet much?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It ain't gonna happen, in any fashion.

Dreamers just keep breathing life into this...but, it ain't going anywhere...'cept to the legislative cemetery.

Even if by some miracle, it did pass, does anyone on this forum really think that California will stand for a bunch of ******** from out of state carrying all manner of assault handguns, in their state? They will challenge the law, the 9th Circuit court will put a bullet in it's head and SCOTUS will preach the funeral.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
This is one of the few gun forums I read that has so much angst for National Reciprocity!
Are you more surprised that we are against it, or that the others are for it?

Reactions: kukla and Ianthin

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
There is angst over National Reciprocity because those that really study carry laws understand the potential restrictions that could be written into the law to get all states to agree - National registry of permit holders, formal training, 10rd limit, permit includes guns allowed to carry, etc. NY, IL, CA and other strict may issue states would not just agree, they all would want specified restrictions to that would be forced nationwide.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm not a fan of the idea. Get some federal thing going where we are all grouped together, and 20 years later have some anti gun laws take it away from us. Imagine if California, NJ, or NY were running the country, we would have little to no rights. They can ruin their states all they want, but not ruin it for the rest of us. Lets leave it at that.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Oh come on guys, your dashing my hopes, LOL. This coming from my state of IL that has no reciprocity with anybody. Re-dang-diculous.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'll ride my Unicorn into California with a gun on my hip the day a National Reciprocity Bill passes.
Interestingly, if by some unlikely circumstance a National Reciprocity Bill becomes law, it would be easier for you and your unicorn to carry in Cali than it would be for most Cali citizens (I know, "residents" is more PC) to get a CCW. If someone who lived in Cali and in a gun-unfriendly county (most of them), and really, really wanted to carry, that person would would be better moving to a neighboring state and commuting.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
240 Posts
It came close to passing a few years ago, only a few votes short. Of course, it would have been vetoed. The bill will be pushed through and it will come up for a vote. There is a chance that a few Dem's will go along with it, some did before. But the anti states will try everything they can to make it as restrictive as possible.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It came close to passing a few years ago, only a few votes short. Of course, it would have been vetoed. The bill will be pushed through and it will come up for a vote. There is a chance that a few Dem's will go along with it, some did before. But the anti states will try everything they can to make it as restrictive as possible.
If it does pass...which I doubt, the anti states will block it with a preliminary injunction from a Fed district court and SCOTUS will uphold the injunction due to precedent in Heller...then, it will be dead.

And...I desperately hope that it never passes.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
There is angst over National Reciprocity because those that really study carry laws understand the potential restrictions that could be written into the law to get all states to agree - National registry of permit holders, formal training, 10rd limit, permit includes guns allowed to carry, etc. NY, IL, CA and other strict may issue states would not just agree, they all would want specified restrictions to that would be forced nationwide.
I'm not a fan of the idea. Get some federal thing going where we are all grouped together, and 20 years later have some anti gun laws take it away from us. Imagine if California, NJ, or NY were running the country, we would have little to no rights. They can ruin their states all they want, but not ruin it for the rest of us. Lets leave it at that.
Oh come on guys, your dashing my hopes, LOL. This coming from my state of IL that has no reciprocity with anybody. Re-dang-diculous.
You have my sympathy. Been to Chicago several times on business. I was offered a plant managers position and turned it down. Beautiful women, great pizza, the best (Chicago hot dog), but I refused to give up my liberty.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Actually, it wasn't close. HR 822 in in 2011 passed the House 272 - 154. But then it died in the Senate.

§ 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

“(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof (except as provided in subsection (b)), a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a valid identification document containing a photograph of the person, and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that—

“(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or

“(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

“(b) The possession or carrying of a concealed handgun in a State under this section shall be subject to the same conditions and limitations, except as to eligibility to possess or carry, imposed by or under Federal or State law or the law of a political subdivision of a State, that apply to the possession or carrying of a concealed handgun by residents of the State or political subdivision who are licensed by the State or political subdivision to do so, or not prohibited by the State from doing so.

“(c) In subsection (a), the term ‘identification document’ means a document made or issued by or under the authority of the United States Government, a State, or a political subdivision of a State which, when completed with information concerning a particular individual, is of a type intended or commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of individuals.”.
One thing I'd like to see a national reciprocity bill include is fixing the GFSZA so that a permitted person is exempt in any state, not just the one where a permit is issued from. Better yet, just get rid of GFSZA all together, it serves no purpose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is one of the few gun forums I read that has so much angst for National Reciprocity!
I'm new to this site but I have to agree with you, sadly...

What a bunch of whiners!! Take a deep breath and learn how to stand up for your rights, maybe you can find a video on youtube to teach you how to do that!!

Lets get the law passed and then worry about the states that dont like it. It isnt going to happen over night but if we stand together for the fight today maybe our kids or grand kids will be able to live in a free Country as the founders intended. Lets fight for gun safety to be taught in every school at every grade level.

I can guarantee you that doing nothing will certainly lead to loosing more of our rights which include defensive carry, which is more than just the name of this site

·
Premium Member
9,342 Posts
I'm new to this site but I have to agree with you, sadly...

What a bunch of whiners!! Take a deep breath and learn how to stand up for your rights, maybe you can find a video on youtube to teach you how to do that!!

Lets get the law passed and then worry about the states that dont like it. It isnt going to happen over night but if we stand together for the fight today maybe our kids or grand kids will be able to live in a free Country as the founders intended. Lets fight for gun safety to be taught in every school at every grade level.

I can guarantee you that doing nothing will certainly lead to loosing more of our rights which include defensive carry, which is more than just the name of this site
Ad hominem much?

Stand up for my rights? How about you sue your state for violating your second amendment right for requiring a carry permit! Or did you acquiesce and get a carry permit and let the state "trample" your 2A rights?

Please don't lecture me on "rights" and "standing up" for them.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are a whiner.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Reciprocity would be bad for me. I have CA and AZ non-resident licenses. My CA permit has restrictions that the AZ doesn't.
With reciprocity I would be stuck with CA restrictions.
For example. Our CA license (wife and I) allows only carry of guns registered to the individual. She can't carry mine and I can't carry hers. Outside CA we can carry eithers gun in a pinch.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
It's just that so many of us don't trust the feds, or any government for that matter, when it comes to our most fundamental rights. Don't forget, the spark which ignited the American Revolution was gun control. Knowing that, would you think for one moment that they can be trusted with our right to bear arms in modern America?

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Imagine CCW'ing in DC, NJ or NYC or Comiefornia with national reciprocity?
They would have a conniption.
The antis and libs would be clutching their chest and gasping for air.......
SCREW THEM!
Well interestingly just after Heller in 2008, a man stood on the steps of one of the memorials in DC (Jefferson or Lincoln, not sure which) with his 1911 fully and openly displayed. There was a bit of confusion while DC was trying to sort things out and initially it was determined that out-of-staters could carry in DC. I think that has been "corrected" since then and it would not be advisable to try doing what this man did.

Reactions: Sportymonk
1 - 20 of 55 Posts