Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some suggestions for friendly pistol competition for my shooting group of 6 at an indoor range?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
What are some suggestions for friendly pistol competition for my shooting group of 6 at an indoor range?

Thanks!
3x5 cards at 7 yards. Group of 3 rds.

Fold card in half.

Group of 3 rds.

Repeat until you get down to almost a 1" square.

If anyone misses the paper they are out.

Tightest group wins.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
804 Posts
Use the IPSC Silhouette target, a starter's whistle, and a stop-watch.
Each participant takes his turn at timing, and at whistle-blowing.

IPSC.jpeg

Separately, each shooter starts with hands at sides.
At the whistle, the timer starts the clock, and the shooter draws (maybe not from concealment).
The shooter fires two rounds at the center-of-mass, and then fires one round at the head.
At the sound of the third shot, the timer stops the clock.
The shooter reloads, makes his pistol safe, and reholsters.
The starter and the shooter move forward to score and tape the target.

Scoring: Only hits in the two "A" zones count. Add one second to the shooter's time for each hole that is not in the "A" zone (or an edger). The shooter's score, then, is his complete elapsed time (including penalty seconds).

Start the first run of your six shooters at three yards.
Then go to seven yards for the next string of the six competitors.
Then move back to 10 yards.
Finally, try to do the runs at 15 yards.
Keep careful track of the individual scores at each distance.
The least combined time wins the match.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The Bullethole now has steel available in the north upstairs bay, you could set up a fun steel challenge type match.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Assuming calibers used are close to same size because a .22 would be at a disadvantage against a .45 for this game.

A playing card edge on. The card must be split fully in half. Start with cards somewhat close then increase the distance until only one wins.

Used to do this with group of injured Veterans in rehab. Winner got $5. And it wasn't the meager $5 prize that was important to those guys. Or us either.

Reactions: TSKnight

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Silhoulette is perfect for friendly competition. Due to the wonders of math, it can be scaled up or down for everything from air pistol to long range precision rifle. For an indoor range where you can't set up the steel animals, there are scaled paper targets where the animals are sized to shoot at a single distance. There are also regular size paper targets where you change the distance the same as if you were shooting the steel animals. It is good fun. It might be the most versatile of shooting games as it so easily scaled for type of gun, distance, etc. Backyard air pistol is a lot of fun too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_silhouette_shooting

Here is a paper rifle target for when using the steel animals is not possible. They have paper targets for most every type of shooting, i.e. rimfire pistol, etc. The bottom photo is the steel animals that are sized for air pistol. The distances for that one are 10, 12.5, 15 and 18 yards. The chicken is close at 10 yards but they are tiny!
pistol.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3x5 cards at 7 yards. Group of 3 rds.

Fold card in half.

Group of 3 rds.

Repeat until you get down to almost a 1" square.

If anyone misses the paper they are out.

Tightest group wins.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JD thanks for the idea although incredible difficult!! We will try it next time we shoot.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your “friendly competition” ideas!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Back in Arkansas, two friends and I would compete on both time and accuracy.

Each of us would buy two six packs of beer... (safely stored back home for post-range use)

Fastest-only shooter received one six pack

Most accurate-only shooter received two six packs

If one of us stood out as both the fastest and the most accurate, he received three six packs. If not, then we kept those three six packs in the fridge and only bought half the beer next time.

Naturally, this was always on a Saturday, so we combined it with burgers or steaks.

Ah, the good old days during hot Arkansas summers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts